Stephen Silvagni and Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

He has butchered Carlton's list yet somehow manages to keep his job. How does he escape scrutiny? Is it simply just because he was a club legend as a player?
SOS is to Carlton what hird is to Essendon.
A legend player with long family ties to the club

I said at the time it was fraught with risk for us to hire hird, because sacking him would not come as easy as someone who isn’t a legend.

I reckon the blues would be in a similar position with SOS at the moment

Though the fan base may be more forgiving (and less frenzied) about him given the results of late

Absoloutely terrible list manager.

2 of the 3 worst coaching performances of all time statistically were by lists built by SOS

Carlton put out their youngest side in the 4 year rebuild this week under Bolton. Sos has one strategy, draft as many kids as possible and hope they click. It's been 4 bloody years and they haven't added any help to Cripps in the midfield or Weitering down back. Id be absoloutely furious if I was a blues supporter because he's basically repeated the mistakes of us and Carlton in the tanking years.

The experience has come far too late in McGovern and Newman this year.

He places no value on list spots.

Kerridge
Wright
Gorringe
Lamb
Sumner
Plowman
Smedts
Marchabank
Pickett
Palmer
Lobbe
Kennedy
Lang
Mullet
Garlett
Oshea
Shaw
Fasolo
McGovern
Setterfield
Newman
Goddard
Bugg

Horrible recruitment.

Great you picked Walsh. So did the Herald Sun draft expert.

How many good trades, diamonds in the rough does he find?

The whole salary dump is honestly so laughable.

He places no value on list spots.

Kerridge
Wright
Gorringe
Lamb
Sumner
Plowman
Smedts
Marchabank
Pickett
Palmer
Lobbe
Kennedy
Lang
Mullet
Garlett
Oshea
Shaw
Fasolo
McGovern
Setterfield
Newman
Goddard
Bugg

Horrible recruitment.

Great you picked Walsh. So did the Herald Sun draft expert.

How many good trades, diamonds in the rough does he find?

The whole salary dump is honestly so laughable.

I reckon 13 by count of those were GWS players. It's incredibly lazy

His son is a rubbish player, the fact they keep putting games into him and other likes daisy,Murphy and kasboult is a tribute to why the * they are in this position in the first place.

Easily the worst list of the last 20 years, including Fremantle bloody first game!

It’s clear his list management decisions are not based around performing this season. He’s trying to replicate previous premiership sides. Richmond aced the 2006-2009 drafts (08 a bit of a bust), particularly the first and second rounds, and are only just reaping the rewards now.

The plan was to have as much talent in the same age profile ready to compete in 6-8 seasons, and right now they’re all 18-22 and it’s not happening.

Talent identification is a seperate issue, not isolated to SOS. Keen to see how he supplements the kids as that’s where a lot of teams have broken down in the past. Hopefully not too late.

Probably should go. If the plan has taken too long and it's cost Bolton a job, it should cost him his.
Will get another gig somewhere.
Even for the sake of his sons. Give them some more breathing room to try make a career for themselves.

It’s clear his list management decisions are not based around performing this season. He’s trying to replicate previous premiership sides. Richmond aced the 2006-2009 drafts (08 a bit of a bust), particularly the first and second rounds, and are only just reaping the rewards now.

The plan was to have as much talent in the same age profile ready to compete in 6-8 seasons, and right now they’re all 18-22 and it’s not happening.

Talent identification is a seperate issue, not isolated to SOS. Keen to see how he supplements the kids as that’s where a lot of teams have broken down in the past. Hopefully not too late.

If you are not seeing that talent come through and win games after 4 years then something is wrong....

That's exactly your problem. Every decision he makes is never questioned because its always about the future. It's always about looking for a sunrise which never comes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SOS seems to be regarded as a potential saviour of the Blues as a future senior coach. I don't quite get why (and I am a lifetime Blues fan who used to wear number 1 on my back). I know is highly rated as a backline assistant coach. But if his analysis on Channel 10 is anything to go by, he doesn't have it tactically.

What am I missing?
Problem is Silvagni is Carlton royalty

Even with the bluest of glasses this is a poor list. Media likes to pump it up but they are wrong.

Go through the list and rate them from Cripps down, it's surprising how quickly any type of quality evaporates and a number of the players towards the top are about to retire as well. Everey single kid on this list would need to exceed expectations for Carlton to make progress but a heap of them will end up being duds.

Massive list build failure, gave up some significant picks (some Blues fans like to peddle the myth they got them for almost nothing) for GWS recycled's and none of them are more than just average players, most of course have gone.

Problem is Silvagni is Carlton royalty

Bingo.

A large part of what nearly sent Hawthorn to the rail in the mid-90's was this "old boy" mentality. The clusterf*ck continued through the early 2000's until Brereton and Dunstall (among others) appointed Clarkson and sourced talent from outside the club, managed the transition and then stepped aside.

Go and watch the draft day video from last year to see him in action. I'm not even talking about the trade per se. More just how they went about it. In particular SOS. Didn't look in control at all.
This has aged well

Done well to bring in early draft picks (yes he actually had to trade for them, they didn’t magically appear), but his drafting in the later rounds and through the rookie draft has been appalling. I have no idea why he went with guys like Polson and O’Dwyer who he could have picked up as late rookie selections. Some decent state league players would have been far better to prop up the team than guys like Shaw and O’Shea who were complete fodder.

Last edited:
Stocker + senior player with first round pick for pick one (another young mid which Adelaide probably need)

I am happy with the decision and season not over.

Stocker + senior player with first round pick for pick one (another young mid which Adelaide probably need)

I am happy with the decision and season not over.
No way they trade that pick if they thought it was going to be pick 1. It’s about not knowing where their club was still at while everyone else still had them in the bottom couple of teams. You don’t trade pick 1 for pick 19 and pick 8-12.

No way they trade that pick if they thought it was going to be pick 1. It’s about not knowing where their club was still at while everyone else still had them in the bottom couple of teams. You don’t trade pick 1 for pick 19 and pick 8-12.

Maybe SOS knew how this years draft looked like and preferred senior body to another young mid which we have plenty of????

..and we got Stocker.

Even with the bluest of glasses this is a poor list. Media likes to pump it up but they are wrong.

Go through the list and rate them from Cripps down, it's surprising how quickly any type of quality evaporates and a number of the players towards the top are about to retire as well. Everey single kid on this list would need to exceed expectations for Carlton to make progress but a heap of them will end up being duds.

Massive list build failure, gave up some significant picks (some Blues fans like to peddle the myth they got them for almost nothing) for GWS recycled's and none of them are more than just average players, most of course have gone.

The picking off of Giants discards is what should be pissing off Carlton supporters, and lead to losing his job. It is lazy in the extreme.

As a higher deity of the CFC, and the club being run by a fanboi of the era, that's never going to eventuate unless new objective blood comes in and makes the call. There just does not seem to be any rally from Carlton supporters to force this. I suppose they consider the wait and see approach as prudent, but remember Blues fans, you've been in this position before with premiership-winning coaches and nothing has changed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back