Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett also running with the Geelong/Coniglio ties. FMD if they get him.

Cogs is looking at $1,500,000 a year for 6 maybe even 7 years

Geelong would not be able to offer him half that amount , He doesnt need to be close to Moggs creek why would he leave $800k a year on the table to play at geelong.

St Kilda / Carlton would be crazy not to do all they can to get him

Not sure any of the AFL's rules would really hold up in court. Every footballer in the country is free to play outside the AFL system, though. Out of contract players are free to move around whenever they want in the NBL but every single one of them would accept the T&Cs of an NBA contract if it meant playing in that league.

I like the NBA approach of qualifying contracts. You don't just get a $200m 5 year contract because a club wants you, you have to earn it with a certain level of performance. And each team is limited to how many high paid free agents they can sign etc. Someone like Anthony Davis can earn a supermax contract if he stays but less if he leaves as a free agent or is traded.

Someone like Tim Kelly (2 years but well above what a standard first 2 years normally looks like) would not be eligible for FA status but could be eligible for say 5 x $750k to stay with Geelong, or 4 x $725k / 5 x $700k if traded.

Someone like Coniglio (8 years) would be eligible for FA status at maybe 6 x $900k to stay or 6 x $800k to leave.

That sort of thing. Plus someone like Dylan Shiel could only be traded for the remainder of his contract, so would be out of contract this year.

Where our FA system is skewed is 25% of salaries thing and the fact there is compo on offer. We could've re-signed Scott Lycett for maybe $50-100k more per season but in letting him go we got pick 19. Silly system.
1st off the NBA salary cap is nuts.

Its 99 million for the minimum salary cap, 119 million with the luxury tax. On top of that, the max wage for a player is 25% of the salary cap. Again this is insane. The max contract should be no more than 20%. Paying a bloke 26 million a year or $500,000 a week is insane.

Imagine paying 20 million on one guy only for him to do a knee and have a knee reco for a season?

Back in the 1980s and 1990s, you only had 12 players for the season, now its up to 16.

Still think AFL free agency is still flawed as it should go down to 6, possibly 5 years.

Tim Kelly turns 25 next month. Imagine if free agency is only 6 years. That means he would be 29 years old as a free agent and get him self one last big contract on a 3 year deal.

Back on the topic. Coniglio is good and he is smart too.

Got that original 2 year deal when he was drafted, then signed for 3 more years until his 5th year then another 3 years for his 8th year.

26-27 years old and in his prime.

can easily sign a massive 4-6 year deal this year.

Geelong would not be able to offer him half that amount , He doesnt need to be close to Moggs creek why would he leave $800k a year on the table to play at geelong.

I’d be surprised if we didn’t have more cap space than both those teams next year after our front loading

Whether we offer it up for cogs is another question

I’d be surprised if we didn’t have more cap space than both those teams next year after our front loading

Whether we offer it up for cogs is another question
I would be extremely surprised if north has not asked the question but dont think north can risk it going public after Kelly , Mqrtin , Gaff fiasco

Have a guess champ
Or keep deflecting
Even saying all 7 on 800k which will be less for most is 5.6mil

My next thread stay tuned will be in relation to this topic

Please don't forget to link us all to it.

We can't wait to read what you have to say on this topic which clearly you are very knowledgeable and well read-up on :thumbsu:

I’d be gutted if we missed Cogs to Carlton. I hope we give him 1.6 mil over 6 years. I mean we did try to give Shiel 1.3 mil a season for 8 years last year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back