Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to some media commentators regarding Boltons sacking and our search for a coach do my head in. We have Garry Lyon stating we wouldn't be brave enough to go after a left field option like Noble. Garry, what do you think Bolton was?

I really hope the club will follow the same process, go through all the candidates thoroughly and choose who they think is the best. We shouldn't be scared about going for a rookie coach as most of the hard work has been done.

In regards to Caracella, i know that one of the board members doesn't rate his people skills and has concerns about him being head coach, thinks he is great with game plan and strategy though.

Hinkley seems like a guy who can really get a list going. The footy he had port playing a few years back was amazing.

I remember seeing a video where Port had a hypnotist come in and hypnotize a few players. It was a light hearted humorous video. But I remember them giving Wingard the ball and tell him it was glued to his hand. Hinkley then said kick the goal or we will are going to trade you.

I remember how gutted Wingard looked. He basically pleaded not to be traded.

Was a funny video but think it really showed how much the players wanted to play for him.

He wasn't joking when he told Wingard he was to be traded.;)

I think there are a lot of names mentioned who are good choices. The worst thing we can do is go out and overpay for a coach. We need to build a team, not an individual, that is not how modern football and successful clubs work anymore.

We go out and overpay for another messiah then it will impact our off field salary cap and cost us in crucial people we really need and it will undo us.

It looks like Brad Lloyd has a fair bit of work to do. New coach and probably new assistants to source.

On a good note I think it's probably an advantage to be in the running of sourcing a new coach mid season, before all the candidates have their plans sorted for next year.

It will also give next years coach a bit of a heads up to prepare for next year as walking into a club to coach not having had a real good look at the team play is less than ideal.

Clarkson I don't think so, we would probably have to spend too much. But then again he is all about having a good team, if we couldn't provide that this would blow up in our face, he might understand if we offer a lot he can't have the team he wants.

Roos, no I want someone who wants to be there long term, has the passion and has not been out of the game.

I'm tending to lean away from older coaches, we are still a long term prospect and I don't think the coach was the problem anyway with us but it could become the problem if we chose the wrong person.

An assistant who has been in coaching at successful clubs and knows what that looks like would do me just fine. I don't want to overpay I just want to get someone who has been around a successful club or two and has been in the coaching game for a good period of time and is keen to give it a crack. I want to see us put in a really strong focus on our assistants and analytic staff and do what we did with the list, sort out the restrictive contracts and get everything sorted.

I reckon Hinkley would be a perfect next phase coach for us.
He has built something then seen it crumble and then he has rebuilt it again amidst raids on his players. Was the most highly sought assistant while at Geelong.
His teams are no nonsense and hard at it but never quite enough real class on the list.
With real talent to coach he could take a team to the flag.

I reckon Hinkley would be a perfect next phase coach for us.
He has built something then seen it crumble and then he has rebuilt it again amidst raids on his players. Was the most highly sought assistant while at Geelong.
His teams are no nonsense and hard at it but never quite enough real class on the list.
With real talent to coach he could take a team to the flag.
He had a very very talented list that constantly underperformed. I’m not sold on him.

What we need to get right more than the head coach is the assistant.

Look at
Collingwood
- Robert Harvey (Midfield)
- Brenton Sanderson (Forward)
- Justin Longmuir (Defence)
- Garry Hocking (Stoppages)

Hawthorn
- Scott Burns (Forward)
- Darren Glass (Defence)
- Sam Mitchell (Midfield)
- Chris Newman (Stoppages)

Geelong
- Shane Obree
- Matthew Knights
- Nigel Lappin
- Matthew Scarlett

Then look at our current assistants. Pretty underwhelming

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MLG was just a director at the time. A fairly recent one too IIRC.

Ratts has got to be realistic as well.

Understand of course. But he would have been part of the decision making clique that removed Ratten.

More importantly for Ratten I would think that if he's enjoying what he's doing at St Kilda and sees a realistic opportunity there if they move on Richardson, no point in budging. Also, he will have options in North Melbourne and probably Essendon which might appeal more to him.

Critical for our club is when looking at the state of the assistant's and development coach lists, there's some big question marks that need to occur there. Obviously they'll all be gone with a new coach coming in. I think Bolton would still be here and the group doing better if the structure around him was more senior and better credentialed. If they bring in a first time senior coach, they have to correct that or we're probably going to get the same results.

What we need to get right more than the head coach is the assistant.

Look at
Collingwood
- Robert Harvey (Midfield)
- Brenton Sanderson (Forward)
- Justin Longmuir (Defence)
- Garry Hocking (Stoppages)

Hawthorn
- Scott Burns (Forward)
- Darren Glass (Defence)
- Sam Mitchell (Midfield)
- Chris Newman (Stoppages)

Geelong
- Shane Obree
- Matthew Knights
- Nigel Lappin
- Matthew Scarlett

Then look at our current assistants. Pretty underwhelming

Assistant coaches are much like quality free agents. The better candidates generally head to the better run football departments, and the bottom clubs hope to find the diamond in the rough types. With the soft cap and 10 teams in Vic, it's not easy getting the best.

One SEN caller hit the nail on the head.

If you think a good coach is going to come in and stick with the plan they are kidding.

A good coach will have their own plan, and they will call the shots or they won't come.

I'd want a 6 year contract to come to Carlton, with Crippa contracted for the same length of time before saying yes.

We are at ground zero with many of our older players running out of time, and some players on our list are overrated.

One SEN caller hit the nail on the head.

If you think a good coach is going to come in and stick with the plan they are kidding.

A good coach will have their own plan, and they will call the shots or they won't come.

I'd want a 6 year contract to come to Carlton, with Crippa contracted for the same length of time before saying yes.

We are at ground zero with many of our older players running out of time, and some players on our list are overrated.

Overly dramatic. Our older players aren't holding anything together. Only Kreuzer is really useful.

Player output will rise significantly with more players entering the 23 year old age group and proper coaching.

There are only 18 yes 18 AFL senior coaches spots available in a country of 25 million.... Ratten last week has finally come out and mentioned his desire to have another shot at a senior gig (co-incidence..?? maybe??)... I don't care if there is a history of some pre-existing board members who were around when Ratten got sacked, but seriously.... if Ratten gets re-appointed he would have the support of the board... he's obviously had a great mentorship under Clarkson and has admitted he'd be a better coach this time around (realising some of his faults).

Let's face it, Ratten's sacking was part of a plan orchestrated by Swan to lure Mick and Buttifant to re-unite the trio...

Ratten would be a fool not to swallow a little pride and apply! He has his "Champ" on the panel and the director of coaching! And he should have the desire to give an up-yours to all those from the past who sacked him... should fuel and drive him!

Bolton had to go. The "green shoots" weren't growing and the mental state of the players seems now to be a shadow of what it was only a month or so ago. Sometimes we have to acknowledge the signs. The Bolton experiment has gone backwards each year and given a few more weeks I hate to think where the team would be at.

You see the Bolton experiment didn't go backwards the inpatient administration 's ideas of recruiting and sticking that went backwards, have a look at your past three coaches, look at the time frames. No the don't come Monday gun was jumped!

You see the Bolton experiment didn't go backwards the inpatient administration 's ideas of recruiting and sticking that went backwards, have a look at your past three coaches, look at the time frames. No the don't come Monday gun was jumped!
Wonder how patient Jeff would be if your mob went at 10% over two years ? ... pmsl ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back