Prediction Changes v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well, a bye to rest up is in order before returning for a clash against the Blues.

Naughton has escaped suspension after his tangle in the west.

Suspect West wouldn't be far away from getting a nod.
Unlikely to be any forced changes, so wonder how we look for a chance at avoiding a second loss to Carlton this season.

It feels like West should come in to add some grit to our forward line, but it would probably need to be at the expense of Dale, Lipinski or McLean.

I think Dale was good enough to keep his spot. Kicked a goal. No tackles though, which hurts when Gowers doesn’t apply any pressure either.

Lipinski coming in as yet another inside-ish mid makes little sense. W’re already overstocked. But I’d rather him in the team than Hayes.

McLean has struggled to hit the scoreboard. But is probably the closest thing we have to a “pressure” forward.

Not advocating for it, but wouldn’t be surprised if Smith gets a rest.

Having Hunter permanently embedded on one of our wings really hurts when our inside mids are largely not quick or particularly damaging by foot either.

What are the chances Blues start favourites?

With the bookies: high. There will be a lot of money on Carton because of the change of coach. The odds could shorten and shorten until they are the favourites.

It feels like West should come in to add some grit to our forward line, but it would probably need to be at the expense of Dale, Lipinski or McLean.

I think Dale was good enough to keep his spot. Kicked a goal. No tackles though, which hurts when Gowers doesn’t apply any pressure either.

Lipinski coming in as yet another inside-ish mid makes little sense. W’re already overstocked. But I’d rather him in the team than Hayes.

McLean has struggled to hit the scoreboard. But is probably the closest thing we have to a “pressure” forward.

Not advocating for it, but wouldn’t be surprised if Smith gets a rest.

Having Hunter permanently embedded on one of our wings really hurts when our inside mids are largely not quick or particularly damaging by foot either.
Smith ain't getting a rest the week after the bye. Lmao.

Only watched the first half so can’t give any outs but Porter, Lew Young, and Dickson should all be considered as ins. I imagine Duryea will be fit after the bye?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like we need to reshuffle our talls. It's obvious Trengove gives a little more in the ruck than English does. I want Trengove to ruck 60% of the game and English to be the secondary tall forward and back-up ruck. I want Lewis Young in but I'll give Gardner a shot at moving back.

Out
In: West, Crozier
Out: McLean, Young

I love McLean but he is horribly out of form. Let him get some confidence playing as a mid in the twos and bring him back in that position.

I love McLean but he is horribly out of form. Let him get some confidence playing as a mid in the twos and bring him back in that position.

And put him in the middle instead of who? Macrae? Bont? Libba? Dunkley? No thanks.

Dropping him you run the risk of unsettling him. He is too good at this stage of his career to play VFL. I don't want him requesting a trade at year's end to go and start in Gold Coast's midfield. Play him high half forward or on the wing so he can get his hands dirty a bit more.

And put him in the middle instead of who? Macrae? Bont? Libba? Dunkley? No thanks.

Dropping him you run the risk of unsettling him. He is too good at this stage of his career to play VFL. I don't want him requesting a trade at year's end to go and start in Gold Coast's midfield. Play him high half forward or on the wing so he can get his hands dirty a bit more.
It would help if he puts on 5 kilos, in fact it would help if most of our list eats a few more steaks! We are just too skinny and most of our players can’t lay a decent tackle. Big part of our problem. Why did we build that weights centre? For looks?

We need extra pace and class around the ball. We are deadset too slow and despite each of these guys being very good individual players, their strengths overlap too much. Let's say hypothetically there are 360 minutes available in the midfield (3 players x 120 mins per game). I'd break it down like this:

Bont - 65 mins mid - 40 mins forw - 15 mins bench
Libba - 80 mins mid - 20 mins forw - 20 mins bench
Macrae - 80 mins mid - 25 mins wing - 20 mins bench
Dunkley - 75 mins mid - 25 mins forw - 20 mins bench
McLean - 60 mins mid - 40 mins forw - 20 mins bench

As you can see. there's plenty of midfield minutes to go around provided we just limit it to these 5 and stop wasting minutes on Gowers, Lipinski, Williams & limiting Wallis to the forward line. This keeps everyone within their usual TOG%. Macrae can comfortably spend some time on the wing and use his strengths, rather than wasting away of the HFF.

Out: Cordy, McLean
In: Morris, West

Cordy's output is down from where it needs to be and he's making lots of mistakes. He ain't Robinson Crusoe but a game in the magoos might help.

Even if you wanted Cordy out of the backline, he's probably good enough as a forward to fit in our current setup. He won't get dropped regardless.

I want all of English, Naughton and Cordy to play as tall forwards. I won't get my wish but I would like to see it happen. Cordy can push Gowers back to the magoos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back