2018/19 Melbourne Victory Thread - The Four Time Honda Driven Champions!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Statement by the club on Kosta departing:

Melbourne Victory today confirms that Kosta Barbarouses will part ways with the Club after confirming his intentions to explore other opportunities.

The Club worked with the New Zealand International to retain his services, however Barbarouses, 29, declined the offer.

Barbarouses finishes his second stint at Victory with 161 appearances and 51 goals across all competitions, having represented the Club between 2013-2016 before returning again ahead of the 2017/18 season.

Notable accomplishments during his time with the Club include the historic domestic treble season in 2014/15 where the attacker was part of each of the Hyundai A-League Premiership, Championship and FFA Cup title sides, and scoring the winning goal in the 2017/18 A-League Grand Final against Newcastle Jets to secure a fourth Championship for the Club.

“Kosta has not only been a terrific servant to Melbourne Victory over his two stints with the Club, but also a great individual both on and off the field,” said GM Football Operations Paul Trimboli.

“We put forward an offer to keep Kosta here as we build towards our next chapter as a club, however he unfortunately declined this offer.

“As a Club, we thank Kosta for his contributions to our success in recent seasons and wish him well in his future endeavours.”

https://www.melbournevictory.com.au/news/kosta-barbarouses-parts-ways-melbourne-victory

Pity Kosta didn't want to hang around but at the some time probably best for both parties... Just a shame he's supposedly going to ScumFC

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Never rated him anyway. Dud

As much as loved Kosta I always prefered Rojas over him always! Kosta could be very frustrating to watch at times the difference from his good and bad where telling. But with Rojas he was more dynamic, who could make things happen on instinct, watching him play was like poetry in motion. It's a shame we couldn't win a Championship with Rojas in the team!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Happy to see the back of Kosta as I genuinely think he's the most frustrating player we've ever had on our books in terms of how regularly he'd break down attacking moves by holding on to the ball too long and generally making terrible decisions in the final third.

Surprised to see him come out and make a statement like that though. I always thought he seemed very happy at the club.

Steven Gerrard

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Melbourn Victory, 49ers
Happy to see the back of Kosta as I genuinely think he's the most frustrating player we've ever had on our books in terms of how regularly he'd break down attacking moves by holding on to the ball too long and generally making terrible decisions in the final third.

Surprised to see him come out and make a statement like that though. I always thought he seemed very happy at the club.

I'm not surprised. It's his 4th club in a 10 club league. He's as plastic as his girlfriend. I'm annoyed he talked it up as if it was his dream move but not surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Kosta was always poor man's Rojas as the replacement though. Still one of the better wingers in comp but he did **** me when he killed attacks with selfish play. Hopefully we get a decent replacement but I'm starting to dread we've got a lean season or two of transition coming up.

Won't be any lean seasons I don't think. Hopefully Troisi leaves as well. With Honda, Giorg and Baena freeing up spots I'm very intrigued to see what we do.

I'd like to see another striker and play 2 up front with Ola. Get a playmaking/attacking mid, box to box mid and a defender. Be interesting to see if we get another Honda type marquee.

Steven Gerrard

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Melbourn Victory, 49ers
Won't be any lean seasons I don't think. Hopefully Troisi leaves as well. With Honda, Giorg and Baena freeing up spots I'm very intrigued to see what we do.

I'd like to see another striker and play 2 up front with Ola. Get a playmaking/attacking mid, box to box mid and a defender. Be interesting to see if we get another Honda type marquee.

I'm done with the name marquees. Honda was more good than bad but I would not say he was a success. We need a Berisha type player, not necessarily a name player, but someone who is hungry for silverware. First things first, we need a manager.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Old rival emerges as Muscat’s Victory replacement

David Davutovic, Herald Sun

Former Adelaide United boss Marco Kurz is firming as the favourite to land the coveted head coaching role at Melbourne Victory.
Meanwhile Melbourne City is also edging closer to an appointment, having zeroed in on a coach from continental Europe to replace Warren Joyce.
Victory’s coaching panel will this week interview the last of their six-man shortlist, with ex Brisbane Roar coach John Aloisi is understood to be the only Australian coach among them.
But Victory appears to be leaning towards a foreign appointment to replace club legend Kevin Muscat, with most of the remaining four-man shortlist emanating from Europe and owning strong CV’s
Victory were inundated with requests and the coach selection panel - which includes FFA technical director Rob Sherman and Socceroos great Mark Bresciano along with senior Victory officials – seriously considered was former Iran coach Afshin Ghotbi.

Ghotbi, who served as South Korea’s assistant coach under ex Socceroos bosses Guus Hiddink and Pim Verbeek, more recently coaching Japanese side Shimzu S-Pulse and Iranians Foolad.

The coach selection panel, which includes FFA technical director Rob Sherman and Socceroos great Mark Bresciano along with senior Victory officials, appears to have decided on a foreign appointment to replace club legend Kevin Muscat.

A greater emphasis will be placed on blooding youth has been among the discussion points throughout the process, with Victory set to step up their academy efforts after falling behind their local rivals.

Melbourne City’s larger investment and proposed pathways have enabled them to nab the hotter talents, as evidenced by their greater representation in Australia’s youth teams.

Victory youth beat City’s second team 3-2 in Sunday’s National Premier Leagues second tier clash, although they played with an older side on average as they have done throughout the season.

Kurz, who curiously remained in Australia after he was released by Adelaide United, came to Melbourne for the interview and was given a tour of the club’s AAMI Park facility and Gosch’s Park training ground.

The German was stiff to be punted by Adelaide United, who opted not to renew his contract after making the finals both years and winning the 2018 FFA Cup and finishing runners-up the year before, all with a mid-range budget and minus a potent goalscorer.

Adelaide was denied a fairytale grand final place from fourth after a dramatic penalty shootout loss away to Perth Glory.

Aloisi, who spent time coaching Victory’s youth team in between senior roles at Melbourne City and Brisbane Roar, was seriously considered for the role before Victory chiefs opted for the ‘safer hands’ of Kurz.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...lm8tTlCM7fVdngrqQlIDi-gKQHoSXr9C0JZJQ0VBGbGCY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back