Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the game we were at a place that would call up whatever sport you asked for on the TV screens (no, not The Camel) and they pulled up our game in Chinese. It was magnificently presented by whoever* it was and it was intriguing to see it as it was presented there. Unlike Foxtel/Channel 7 the pre-match was shown with firstly an Australian Indigenous group dancing and chanting, and then the Chinese responding with a dragon dance. Commentary was really enthusiastic and excited in tone even though I speak minimal Chinese.
Bennie if you saw one of the Cheer Squad fall over carrying the banner out that was me, tripped over by one of the Saints banner crew who joined us.

Lockhart Road maybe you can help with this. The little bit of English lettering used was Great Sport I think. I can't find anything by that name on an internet search. It'd be good for people here to see the enthusiastic way it was presented for Chinese audiences
Mate, I suggest you put this in a letter to the Club. Flesh it out a bit, send by email for the attention of Daniel Norton, with a copy to Andrew Hunter.
The purpose being to give something factual, eye-witness and colourful to the Club for them to quote to media, in particular Vic. media, in the future.
Give it a heading like: WATCHING THE FOOTY ON A CHINESE CHANNEL IN SHANGHAI - UP THERE KA ZAI LI!

Last edited:
Roving Damo is a bit of a dork - has blown his mind a few times it seems - but this video is interesting to see the 3 AFL executives Travis Auld, Gil and David Stevenson GM China and India talk about the 3 games so far. I think Stevenson was taking the piss when he said next O's game wouldn't be India but the Maldives.

The we have the Jimmy Barnes of AFL club presidents, yes he say little working class club again.

Roving Damo is a bit of a dork - has blown his mind a few times it seems - but this video is interesting to see the 3 AFL executives Travis Auld, Gil and David Stevenson GM China and India talk about the 3 games so far. I think Stevenson was taking the piss when he said next O's game wouldn't be India but the Maldives.

The we have the Jimmy Barnes of AFL club presidents, yes he say little working class club again.

This didn’t go down too badly for me. Of course there was Koch. He as you say started out, right off the tee, with ‘little working class club’ and gave me the impression that he is very aware he should not say that, and his innate response has been, because he’s that sort of brat, “I will say what I want, and if it’s something that I invented I will say it more and more not less and less and the true believers can go and get Nick Riewoldt who’s just over there.”

This didn’t go down too badly for me. Of course there was Koch. He as you say started out, right off the tee, with ‘little working class club’ and gave me the impression that he is very aware he should not say that, and his innate response has been, because he’s that sort of brat, “I will say what I want, and if it’s something that I invented I will say it more and more not less and less and the true believers can go and get Nick Riewoldt who’s just over there.”
As I just said in another thread on this, the club would monitor these boards, he would know it irks people, but he would love the idea that he is annoying his detractors.

As I just said in another thread on this, the club would monitor these boards, he would know it irks people, but he would love the idea that he is annoying his detractors.
It's all about his own egocentric personal narrative though. 'Look at what I've done - gone from a little old working class suburb in little old Adelaide to the top of hill in the big smoke - Big Old Sydney!'
Every time he talks about us it's just reminding the whole world of how impressive his personal journey has been - 'and look I'm benevolently giving back to this little club from that tiny, down and out suburb in that little irrelevant city I personally dragged myself above. What a guy I am!'

Yeah, I guess its pretty easy to ignore members when you don't answer to them
Koch doesn’t just ignore members ... he stirs the schitt out of ‘em ... and loves every moment of it.

Example: Co-captains. On record at the AGM: “It works well for Sydney.”

(“Sydney, where I come from, where I made it big time, by the way.”)

Last edited:
Been following the comments on twitter at #AFLSaintsPower the last 48 hours
https://twitter.com/search?q=#AFLSaintsPower&src=tyah

Typical sort of comments about crowd figure being a lie and Saints fans being pissed of with giving up a home game for that result ie big loss, injury, sickness, bugger all $$$ etc.

Port and the AFL as well Saint Kilda have to do something about getting people to sit on those outer seats, get a back pack camera roaming around the marquees to show where all the piss pot Aussies and Chinese really are, get a more competitive game, Saints have to take it more seriously, they have to make some decent $$$ out of it, otherwise when the 3 years of playing the Saints is up, there might not be any takers.

Typical sort of comments about crowd figure being a lie and Saints fans being pissed of with giving up a home game for that result ie big loss, injury, sickness, bugger all $$$ etc.

Port and the AFL as well Saint Kilda have to do something about getting people to sit on those outer seats, get a back pack camera roaming around the marquees to show where all the piss pot Aussies and Chinese really are, get a more competitive game, Saints have to take it more seriously, they have to make some decent $$$ out of it, otherwise when the 3 years of playing the Saints is up, there might not be any takers.
Why they insist on only showing the barren outer is beyond me. I know there's probably some faux-pas associated with confusing the viewer by switching perspective, but really would it kill the camera crew to pan to the action side of the oval?

Same deal with the Adelaide Oval telecast facing the perma-depopulated corporates.

The camerawork and ground footage needs some guidance and a big lift to get a better flavour for the ground on TV.

Why they insist on only showing the barren outer is beyond me. I know there's probably some faux-pas associated with confusing the viewer by switching perspective, but really would it kill the camera crew to pan to the action side of the oval?

Same deal with the Adelaide Oval telecast facing the perma-depopulated corporates.

The camerawork and ground footage needs some guidance and a big lift to get a better flavour for the ground on TV.
They probably take minimal cameras to China for cost purposes. That's why Port should lead and take cameras, film the crowd in the marquees and feed it into Fox Footy's coverage.

"enormous pride this little working class club that plays in prison bars in the magpies - 149 years of age - coming here *points down* pretty phenomenal". yes great sentence

Most fan bases aren't really concerned with money/sponsorship the way we are because most clubs haven't been to the wall the way we have been. St Kilda is in more debt than any club other than GWS and Gold Coast but they carry on as if its a right that they exist in the competition.

If that game was played at Marvel Stadium, the result might have been closer, but they would have made a financial loss. Fans don't care about that s**t though, because it's someone else's money.

And if 4 points isn't enough for them to take it seriously, exactly what are they in the competition for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone please give me some ammunition to educate people with. I know crowd numbers are restricted for this game, but can someone tell me actual figures?

I'm pretty sick of uneducated supporters telling me this game is a waste of time!

Can anyone please give me some ammunition to educate people with. I know crowd numbers are restricted for this game, but can someone tell me actual figures?

I'm pretty sick of uneducated supporters telling me this game is a waste of time!

I believe 13,000 max.

Attended the first two and a great experience.

Surely we could just set the broadcasters and cameras up on the outer side?
There is a grandstand roof and commentary box area on the west side. The east side has that open terrace grandstand that they have to put the seats out on the concrete steps. They wont change .

actual attendance, or how many seats/tickets are available to be sold?

actual attendance, or how many seats/tickets are available to be sold?

How many seats are able to be sold (I know there's a limit but what exactly is the limit for).

Just any info is helpful that I can throw at people when they say it's a waste of time. Doesn't have to just be crowd related

How many seats are able to be sold (I know there's a limit but what exactly is the limit for).

Just any info is helpful that I can throw at people when they say it's a waste of time. Doesn't have to just be crowd related
The first year the club put out a story that all 10,968 or 10,958 tickets had been sold. If you do a search you find that capacity is recorded as 11,000, but the official figure in 2017 was just a bit short of that.

The stadium is 330m x 175m and that capacity is 25,000.

The number of seats available to be sold in the stands hasn't changed but the seats in the hospitality areas has been increased I believe.

Surely we could just set the broadcasters and cameras up on the outer side?
Further to my last reply. This is why the cameras are on this side (west) of the ground.

1559629568564.png

During our two visits we spent time with locals who a friends a family member and there was general discussion on crowds but not specifc to the Port game.

Chinese authorities are sensitive to crowds gathering in one particular area that requires entry in and entry out. Apparently this sensitivity arose after a number of deaths at a crowded railway station about 10 or so years ago when people rushed home at Christmas time. That is probably not the main element but may have some basis in fact.

Also, a significant area is not suitable for watching Aussie Rules football and will never be utilised.

As several of posters have mentioned, the position of the TV cameras do not do justice to the arena but no matter how much logic you use, the naysayers will always be there as it suits their agenda.

But yep, 13,000 max. but i can't find the source.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back