Status
Not open for further replies.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Unlikely to happen, but it Payne is back to 100% fitness I'd be awfully tempted to give him his debut this week if we need another KPD.

Given Walker was dropped twice in a month it wouldn't be surprising if we looked at different options.

Unlikely to happen, but it Payne is back to 100% fitness I'd be awfully tempted to give him his debut this week if we need another KPD.
Based on his game on the weekend Payne would be awfully close to ready both in fitness and form. The guy's a beast.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Payne is bought into the side with Josh Walker available Josh will be getting very worried re his possibilities of being at the club next season, OOC this year.
At this stage I'd be happy to give Payne a crack . Walker has never been a fav of Fages , I wonder who else in the wings they have their eye on. Allison has played well enough to get a shot but it all depends on how they view Robbo's game last week and whether they see a specific role for him here . I'd be happy enough with any of those guys playing ,or Skinner who is a good player. And of course Cuts , but not likely this week.

If Lewy can keep reproducing Saturday's effort it really does give us some added potency ,particularly when Berry gets back.

You know we have the bye next week? And Hodge was out for the Crows game a few weeks ago? No point in resting him for this game at all.
Yep. You'll also note that in my post, I specifically said that Hodgy didn't need a rest, but I'd be resting him every 3 or 4 weeks anyway, because we need to be working on our half-back options, as well as our future leadership, and that's easier when Hodgy can sit on the bench and talk to Witho (who I think is trying to take some pointing lessons from Hodgy) and Harris (who is a genuine backline leader) during games about their setup.

Hodgy said when he left Hawthorn that staying, he'd just be holding up guys who needed games in their lineup. I think we're getting towards that stage now. Witho, Answerth, Bailey, Rich, Allison. All half-backs who should be getting games.

Hodgy still is incredibly valuable to us. But I think play him three weeks, and then give the backline a week without him to organise themselves. Then play him another 3 weeks and do it all again.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Payne is bought into the side with Josh Walker available Josh will be getting very worried re his possibilities of being at the club next season, OOC this year.

Probably already worried after being dropped twice.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd be very surprised if Nick Robertson is dropped, and I don't think Jacob Allsion is a better ball user off half back than Nick, he is a longer runner and usually his long kick is to a contest, his short to medium kicks can be a bit dicey though.

By the way.. welcome to Big Footy Jacob.:thumbsu:
I think you're right. Alison and Nic Robbo are very different players and better in different positions. Robbo is a defender, a street fighter type that has a fantastic running engine and can chase a mobile forward all over the ground. Allison has looked really good in reserve grad, running wild on the outside and down the wing booming those long kicks he looks fantastic. But if you look at how he got the ball and where it landed you can make a different conclusion. Robbo will go under a pack, Alison will be waiting on the outside. Alison's meters gained are enormous but he doesn't hit a target as much as you would like, a bit like Cutler. I think we need a lock down player like Robbo this game as Carlton will play an open game with the pressure off. We don't want to go into a shoot out with these guys. Lock it down, play our game and continue to starve them of points.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep. You'll also note that in my post, I specifically said that Hodgy didn't need a rest, but I'd be resting him every 3 or 4 weeks anyway, because we need to be working on our half-back options, as well as our future leadership, and that's easier when Hodgy can sit on the bench and talk to Witho (who I think is trying to take some pointing lessons from Hodgy) and Harris (who is a genuine backline leader) during games about their setup.

Hodgy said when he left Hawthorn that staying, he'd just be holding up guys who needed games in their lineup. I think we're getting towards that stage now. Witho, Answerth, Bailey, Rich, Allison. All half-backs who should be getting games.

Hodgy still is incredibly valuable to us. But I think play him three weeks, and then give the backline a week without him to organise themselves. Then play him another 3 weeks and do it all again.
I kinda see Carlton coming out with something they don't usually do, pressure off we won't have seen what they deliver before. Our coaches would have studied every game, worked out their systems and had a plan in place. Now that's all out the window. I'd like Hodgey out there because I think his organisation skills will be needed to reorganise against what ever happens this game.

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Having a look at their lineup i dont think there is anything there that can hurt us for long enough.

The change of coach factor doesn’t worry me, if it were a send off game I’d be more nervous.

I kinda see Carlton coming out with something they don't usually do, pressure off we won't have seen what they deliver before. Our coaches would have studied every game, worked out their systems and had a plan in place. Now that's all out the window. I'd like Hodgey out there because I think his organisation skills will be needed to reorganise against what ever happens this game.

Agreed. I have seen their win against a handball happy run-n-gun doggies team. If we stick to stoppage style, boundary line play that's the norm for top 6 teams lately, we can win this one well. I'll back Neale, Lyons, Matheison to find the footy against Cripps n co.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I watched bits of the Carlton game last weekend, and apart from Cripps and Kreuzer they didn't look at all impressive. So, if we can contain these two I reckon we're a long way towards winning the game.

The Lions two-ruck strategy (Martin/Smith or Martin/McInerney) should be able to handle Kreuzer. Normally, I'd back Berry to at least slow down Cripps, but in his absence either of the two Robbos could be given the job. Given Nick's more comparable size and running ability (and his past success in running with Buddy), maybe he's the one to sit in Cripps' pocket all day.
Think Kreuzer is the heart n soul of the Blues....bit like Robbo to us.....they stand taller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lack of runners could be a significant factor in this game.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How has Payne got in front of Walker having never played a senior game.? Couple of months ago most on here where praising how well Walker was playing. Not sure he has done a lot wrong since, when he was dropped against the dogs majority were like WTF!!!
I don't think Payne is ahead of Walker, I really like Payne and his potential but he has only been back a few games after a year off. Then he has been playing in a backline that hardly sees the footy. Potentially he is so much more than Walker but I think he just needs time and more games yet although he is doing really well in the Reserves when the ball comes near him. Skinner - now he is more a talking point when it comes to Walker and flexibility around the ground but then again I feel I'm a bit like the coaching team and if a player has been playing his role then he stays and right now I can't see Walker has done a lot wrong other than be tall when we play short guys.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How has Payne got in front of Walker having never played a senior game.? Couple of months ago most on here where praising how well Walker was playing. Not sure he has done a lot wrong since, when he was dropped against the dogs majority were like WTF!!!

Plus he was best on ground in the NEAFL game last week. I'd certainly have him ahead of Payne personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back