Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
OK only taken the numbers/players off the club website so if it is wrong it's wrong. Be nice if the club fixes it but there you go.

Harry Morrison: TBH he has stagnated to a nothing player at this point of time. This doesn't mean his career is over as we brought in Scully who's twice him with a bigger tank but about 7 year's older. So It's relative. Harry is projecting as a Blake Carecella type can be good when the team is good, can be rubbish when the team is struggling. Not sure why he's gone backwards but he has. But in saying that Blake won a couple of GF's. Arguably one of his own boot so it's not the end of the world.

Jarryd Roughead: I still maintain he plays all year as Roughy we probably make the GF in 2016 and hope for the best. But we've seen him now he's struggling as would most/anyone who's gone through what he has. Look it's the end. However while the end and he needs to go, it takes back nothing from what he gave us.

Tom Mitchell: Broken Leg move on.

Jarman Impey: Actually been one of the few highlights of our season. Played far better than last year and consistently has done that.

James Worpel: For a bloke who can't kick and can't play to some, been superb. When clubs clamp on Jaegaer, he has been the only consistent bloke to deliver, and I would argue better than Shiels, Liam has been a great servant of Hawthorn but this guy I'm beginning to rate higher than him.

James Sicily: For me best player in the team at this point of time.

Ben McEvoy: Probably one ruckman who has more limitations than most eg: he is a midget for a ruckman. But apart from being a withches hat as centre bounces due to height he's definitely ok with everything else he does.

Mitchell Lewis: I've got no complaints. Will he make it, or will he not who knows but each week he presents like a guy who wants to make it.

Shaun Burgoyne: It's the end of the world as I know it... and I feel fine. REM had a song about this and it is slowly becoming true. He's 37 I think? Seriously if you believe in miracles listen to Hot Chocolate. In saying that much like Harry way above, he could actually be a Blake Caracella if we can put a team together to achieve that.

Jaeger O'Meara: Started the season on fire, now is basically the only bloke tagged out of our club. Do I like his year... YES, am I concerned about the tag... actually NO. We don't have the cattle to break up a game without him so clubs will just go him. The thing I do like is he also goes after them.

I'll try to save a few replies if I can get on quick enough... but the first bit of the review I will say says we are in the eight... I have a feeling the second half won't.

• Banned
Conor Nash: Nash is still learning the game. In reality it's only his second yeaer of playing football coming from a Rugby background. To put that into perspective Israel Folau got paid about $2m a year over 2 years from memory to play 13 games. Nash has played 10 so far with half a season to go and with the exception of goals where his equal leads Izzy for other stats with 3 games in hand including double the number of tackles. Given his size and speed and non football background we just have to be patient.

James Frawley: When playing is generally good, especially as a lock down defender but he is becoming somewhat injury prone. Overall good.

Conor Glass: They've moved him onto the ball obviously to try and get more of an overall feel for the game at BH. While not making much impact when promoted there were signs that his understanding of the game was so much better.

Grant Birchall: Said enough on another thread. I hope we see him again but we may never do.

Blake Hardwick: Solid without being anywhere near last year. Generally does his job, sometimes provides the run and carry that made his so good last year, moreso after the first 5 or so rounds.

Isaac Smith: TBH he's struggled to fit in with Henderson's form and Scully in the side then with injuries. I'm surprised they haven't rotated him through the defence to give us an additional line breaker. Looks a little lost and not himself, of the captaincy changes he seems to have taken it the hardest.

Daniel Howe: If Harry's stagnated, Howe's become sterile. While being reasonable at the tag, has provided very little else offensively at AFL level, and while being consistent at BH never really takes a game apart. Not sure where he sits as he's getting to the age of needing to do more.

Jonathon Ceglar: Started slowly, got dropped then had a break out patch much like we hope Howe above would. In saying that his break up patch was almost purely around the ground, his ruckwork is below average at AFL level.

Jack Gunston: Apart from one game where he basically won the game with his performance been a very bland year. I honestly believe he is carrying something as he seems to have lost 5m in kicking distance and struggles to leap in the air. It's like he's lost the spring in his legs.

Chad Wingard: While not great, his work ethic was reasonable coming back from injury, then injured again. For this year Chad's job is now to learn his role in the team so Rnd 1 2020, he knows everytheing about how we play... and to get his body fit for that game.

Tom Scully: Been a godsend in someways with his ability to run out games without a breather. His tackling too has got better. Needs to strengthen up more and really use some power in his kicks. But overall on expectation he's outperformed this year.

Luke Breust: Really at times hasn't looked like Bruest, reality is he's been fairly solid in most games without setting the world on fire, but he's been more solid overall than any other forward, and when occasionally in the middle has shown the ability to get it and go. Definite pass mark for me.

Will try to finish the rest later today. Might be tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Tim O'Brien: Okis nothing special at VFL level... yet to be beaten at AFL level.
Ben Stratton: lost a yard and that's his is he's issue forget the captaincly eddie has lost a full yard and he struggles at any other.
Ryan Schoenmakers: Doesnt play footy anymore. So that is that.

Liam Shiels Mmm strugled with stratts getting the captaincy. Been super or been crap to be honest.
Marc Pittonet: Hes a tall last minute replacement at AFL level
Paul Puopolo: Hd good days had s**t days who cares he's a 3 time premiership player. End of the day he's game time will be shorter.
Kaiden Brand; No doubt Clarko doesn't like him where is he not sure, but he has a lost of good things going for him.
Ricky Henderson: Worlds best 30 year od ever move on.
David Mirra: They wont play him so move ove did what he needed to do at a point of time so ok with him.

Next lot.

Last edited:

• Banned
… for next review players … there shan't be more or I will rap it all up in this one.

I think Mitch Lewis has shown enough already to say he will be a player. Has led hard at the ball and taken some strong contested marks. Has shown he is not a dinosaur and has got down and grabbed some ball off the ground. His frame is building and at 198cm, at least has some height about him too, along with a good leap. Fantastic pick up for a 76 in the draft.

1559644845985.png

Roughy should play Centre Half Back.. he could do it for the next few years.

Timmy Almost is Timmy Enough as the third backline tall.

Roughy has not marked well for years...but he spoils well and has smarts. Either he is on the scrap heap or he is our CHB. I’d defy a defence to get the ball past him. Clarko, give him the chance (= Roughy has never started in defence). We would just need fast players around him.

Last edited:
Burgoyne - doing just enough to scrape in another year
Roughead - struggling to impact at AFL level, doing ok at BHH, likely to retire
Birchall - in his 3rd year of injury, apparently coming back after the bye?
Frawley - our best tall defender
McEvoy - one of the best all-round ruckmen in the AFL
Shiels - up and down season for the defensive mid
Breust - scoring goals which is his job, 20 gls in 11 games
Smith - up and down season, not scoring as many goals either
Gunston - being shifted all over the place, accuracy off a little, been an odd year
Stratton - isnt as sharp as previous years, but still doing his job
Puopolo - again another player a little off from his career standard
Scully - has been good attacking addition, lacks defensive/contested game
Wingard - has not lived up to expectations, more fluff than substance
Henderson - best year of his career, has been great since we picked him up as a dfa
Schoenmakers - been ok at BHH, back up at best
Mitchell - injured all season, should improve us next season
Impey - has looked more comfortable in his role this season and added a forw role
O'Meara - has had 2 very good seasons
Ceglar - been a bit up and down this season
Sicily - backline star, has added playing on tall forws this season
Howe - with Shiels in the side, struggles to find a place in our mid
Mohr - injured and likely retired
O'Brien - has changed his position to defender, is doing better
Hardwick - still a champion small defender, just not as fiery as his 2018 season
Brand - is playing well at BHH, being used as a backup to AFL
Minchington - has struggled to impact at VFL since returning from injury
Morrison - even though he has talent, he really struggles to produce on field at levels that we want from him
Worpel - young star, great contested footy, clearances, tackles, needs work on fitness and poss, but a star in the making
Cousins - playing well as a backup mid, unlikely to be a 200 gamer at AFL level, but good as a squad player with Mitchell + Maginness coning in next season.
Miles - playing well for BHH, but has not got another trial at AFL level
Glass - has changed his position to mid, struggling with high number of errors
Scrimshaw - i had doubts, but he has been a net positive in defence, could be trade of the year with how Wingard and Scully are going.
Mirra - played well when given chance at AFL imo, has some doubters
Lewis - showing huge potential to be our tall forw for the next decade.
Nash - has great athleticism, but lacks footy knowledge, potential?
Pittonet - good VFL ruck, might not make it to the next level
Moore - little forw who leads and links up play between mid/forw
Walker - playing mainly as forw, his weapons are the ability to play inside mid and his contested marking forw, thats when he played his best last season
Koschitzke - has struggled with injury, but has shown good signs in the limited footy at BHH that he could be a tall def at AFL
Ross - has been a star at BHH as a running goal kicking sensation, has x-factor and speed, good mark, good kick for goal, could debut this season?
Jiath - has been a sensation since playing half back, if he keeps playing good footy might get an AFL call up?
Jones - changed to inside mid this season and is just a tough hard worker on the field
Hanrahan - has struggled to impact much this season, most likely gone at seasons end imo
Greaves - showing composure and competitiveness beyond his years, having a good first season at VFL
Golds - started pre-season on fire, but since has just been ok, next season will be the true test on whether he can step up to the standard
Reeves - looked good in his debut games, since then has played 4 games and the last 2 have seen him get 31 and 38 hit outs respectively, developing nicely

Hendo, Lewis, Cuz, Worp, TO, Jimpey, Scully, Scrimmer and Dimma have improved or at least improved us.

Harry, Howe, Stratts, Smiff and Rough have gone backwards. The stagnation of Harry and the deterioration Howe have been the killers, we need both of these two to be in our top ten. That is now looking highly unlikely.

The team has regressed more than the five going backwards. Not having Mitchell will be a blessing in the long run. His absence is forcing others to lift, we will see those benefits next year. For the rest of the season, we just have to hope TO and Lewis come up to scratch.

Yep ESC Howe is really struggling for impact this year. Could be because of his poor pre season. Harry sort of stagnant but to be honest I don't see what others see in him. He is a goer no doubt

I’m interested to see what our midfield can do in the 2nd half of the year. We are rated 16th for clearances and last in clearance differential. I wouldn’t mind seeing Hardwick get a run just to add a bit more grunt and change up the dynamic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good: The form and improvement from Henderson, McEvoy, O’Meara, Worpel, Lewis, Scrimshaw and Impey.

The bad: Gunston, Breust, Smith and Stratton. Four players who are in their prime but playing well below potential. A big reason as to why we sit outside the top eight. Need a bigger output in the second half of the season to be a better team overall.

Where it’s all gone wrong: The forward-line structure is all over the place. There has been a number of periods in games this year where we’ve gone 25-30 minutes without a goal despite a decent amount of inside 50 entries. I’m not sure who’s the main target inside 50 right now, but constantly kicking high balls to Puopolo and Breust isn’t going to win us any games. Lewis is talented but he cannot do it by himself. We need another key forward to fix the overall structure, which would then allow Gunston to play a more prominent role.

Most improved: Cousins. Averaging 19 disposals and nearly 1 goal per game. Considering that he hardly featured last year and the fact that there’s no Mitchell out there in the midfield makes his season fairly impressive. Easily in the best 22 right now and with a better supporting cast next year he could potentially be even better. What i like about his game is his kicking and finishing ability around goal which is very good.

We beat GWS, Adelaide, Port, all currently top 8 teams.

We were:
30 points up against St Kilda
36 points up against WB
19 points up against Richmond
35 points up against Lions
20 points up against the Cats
20 points up against the Demons

Yeah, we lost those games, but we are creating a new midfield.

If McEvoy, Mitchell and Scrimshaw were playing against the Lions, we would have been feeling a lot different after that game.

All of our draftees look promising.

Lets just forego having a captain next year. Hasnt done any of the recent blokes any good.

Can control the game but when we can;t we get exposed really badly. We're a team of structure without the individual brilliance like yesteryear.

Clarkson may sneak us into the 8 and considering our best player and our engine room has a broken leg it isnt bad.

The Bad
Scully may take a year
Wingard cant rate, just hasnt had a run.
Stratton has lost a yard
Frawley looks like a passenger some days
Gunston is having a hard time being a focal point
Smith has been getting heavy work put into him, Need Scully firing to help him out

The good
Scrimshaw looks like a steal. I cant believe how well he's going. I thought Losing Burton would hurt but He's just taken that role and has more defending Nous, Burton will probably end up the better player but it helps losing him

Worpel still rough around the edges but him stepping up has been huge

McEvoy is unlucky that You can't have 3 rucks in the team. He's been close to Gawn, Had a huge year.

O'Meara when he's up looks like one of those top handful of midfielders.

Impey impressive as well.

Cousins/Morrison have continued good the build from 2018.

Lewis-Ba Gawd, Big boy, Soft hands, Smart user. May not be the guy to kick bags but he's looking like the start of a very good KPP.

Overall

Still the range of 6/12th best side, We lack the depth of quality midfielders. It falls off after Tmitch/Omeara. If Worpel hits elite we're still missing 2 elite players in forward and defense.

Last edited:
Almost impossible to judge the players based on very up and down performances individually and as a team. I will say this overall: we are doing about as well as I thought we'd do after losing Mitchell.

Jarryd Roughead: I still maintain he plays all year as Roughy we probably make the GF in 2016 and hope for the best. But we've seen him now he's struggling as would most/anyone who's gone through what he has. Look it's the end. However while the end and he needs to go, it takes back nothing from what he gave us.

I think more about 2016 than i do about 2012.

Smiths set shot after the siren v Geelong in the Prelim. He rushed it, after having a big last quarter. He should have taken more time to catch his breath, after the siren.

If only we had Roughy... and if only we managed the end of the season a bit better. I think we would have beat Sydney in the Grand Final.

But this is what makes a flag so special, and a 3peat so special. Ask Richmond.

Last edited:
Would not be surprised to see Silk go around again in 2020. there will be a few retirements though.

In smithys defence, when he missed that shot, it was said he'd nailed the previous 12 similar shots

I think more about 2016 than i do about 2012.

Smiths set shot after the siren v Geelong in the Prelim. He rushed it, after having a big last quarter. He should have taken more time to catch his breath, after the siren.

If only we had Roughy... and if only we managed the end of the season a bit better. I think we would have beat Sydney in the Grand Final.

But this is what makes a flag so special, and a 3peat so special. Ask Richmond.
101ish tackles for 3 free kicks vs throwdogs = Season Over.

City Hall fuc*ed us.

Here's my quick review:

Players that are killing it:
- Hendo, McEvoy, Worpel, Sicily, Frawley, Scrimshaw,

Young guys who I'm loving their effort, but they're not killing it yet:
- Cousins, Lewis, Nash,

Pass mark:
- O'Meara, Hardwick, Ceglar, Scully, Wingas (yes, he's played a lot better than everyone makes out. I'm refusing to blame him for his injuries), Timbo,

Players that need to lift:
- Gunston, Smith, Breust, Puopolo, Stratton

Game plan:
- We're trying not to lose matches rather than win them. Scoring is low, losses aren't devastating.
- When it works it's a beautiful thing (see port, GWS and first quarter against Brisbane)
- Unsettled line up all year. Lots of injuries and shuffling

Assessment:
- Three games we ran out of legs and had injured players. Reckon we're 2 wins less than we should be because of this.
- We're a mile off it at the moment.
- We need more from senior players. Smith and Gunston are match winners at their best. We need them to win more matches for us. If those two light up we're a completely different team.

Prediction:
- Get ready to type "since the bye" a LOT. We're going to go up three levels starting with the Essendon game.

Have absolutely dictated games against Giants Crows Power. All fancied teams. Haven’t been able to do much consistently though

Ones to look out for from box hill. CJ Nash kosi. Reeves. Walker Ross. May not be this year though. Raw talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back