Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
What? Can you explain to me the bolded?

Outside of two additional teams I don't see how it's 5x harder to make finals or win a flag.
I dont know if you recall this.....

The Eagles made finals for 10 straight years from 1990-99. 1990-1996 they regularly made top 4-6. I remember 1997 or 1998, west coast just made finals at 12 wins and 10 defeats by winning 7 in a row.

I will tell you how Frustrated I was with Freo under chris Connollys coaching era from 2002-07. And you also compared that to West coast under John worsfold around 2002-7 as well.

Freo can only look back at a home elim final loss to essendon in 2003 and a prelim in 2006. I was frustrated on the Fact freo didnt make finals in 2004-5. Freo won games at the MCG and Docklands many times under Connolly. We have beaten North, Demons, Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond at least once at both grounds.

We didn't make finals in 2004-5 due to losing home games we should of won. What made it worse, in one or both of those years, we had carlton twice and that was virtually 2 wins as they were bad.

That 2004-5 dockers side should of made finals and would of given the likes of North and Demons a run for their money in finals. Team wise he had little finals experience yet we got players from other clubs that played finals in Jeff Farmer, Peter Bell, Des Headland, Heath Black and Josh Carr. We beat the demons at Subi in 2006.

I remember in 2004, West coast were 5-8 after 13 rounds. They won 4 in a row, lost one game then another 4 in a row to make finals at freos expense in 2004.

Before the 2018 GF, People bitched and moaned about the Non Vic teams losing to the Vic teams in the last 5 years.

Hell back in 2006, Andrew Demitriou started an investigation on why no Vic Side made a prelim in 2006.

Vintage

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I dont know if you recall this.....

The Eagles made finals for 10 straight years from 1990-99. 1990-1996 they regularly made top 4-6. I remember 1997 or 1998, west coast just made finals at 12 wins and 10 defeats by winning 7 in a row.

I will tell you how Frustrated I was with Freo under chris Connollys coaching era from 2002-07. And you also compared that to West coast under John worsfold around 2002-7 as well.

Freo can only look back at a home elim final loss to essendon in 2003 and a prelim in 2006. I was frustrated on the Fact freo didnt make finals in 2004-5. Freo won games at the MCG and Docklands many times under Connolly. We have beaten North, Demons, Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond at least once at both grounds.

We didn't make finals in 2004-5 due to losing home games we should of won. What made it worse, in one or both of those years, we had carlton twice and that was virtually 2 wins as they were bad.

That 2004-5 dockers side should of made finals and would of given the likes of North and Demons a run for their money in finals. Team wise he had little finals experience yet we got players from other clubs that played finals in Jeff Farmer, Peter Bell, Des Headland, Heath Black and Josh Carr. We beat the demons at Subi in 2006.

I remember in 2004, West coast were 5-8 after 13 rounds. They won 4 in a row, lost one game then another 4 in a row to make finals at freos expense in 2004.

Before the 2018 GF, People bitched and moaned about the Non Vic teams losing to the Vic teams in the last 5 years.

Hell back in 2006, Andrew Demitriou started an investigation on why no Vic Side made a prelim in 2006.
Huh?

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't remember enjoying it much (2012-15), mostly cause I didn't think we'd get far being coached by Lyon. Obviously before that things were pretty **** for the most part.
Are you referring to me in that comment about 'two faced clowns' ? I haven't changed my tune since Lyon got there, there have been times I've said he's proving me wrong, but I don't see why that should be a problem.
It takes many people to make up the supporter base of a footy club. Do we all have to think the same? I'm sorry, but I'm not prepared to drink the cool aid for anyone.
I have an opinion and it's just that, take it or leave it.
If you are happy with Lyon then good luck to you.

Having a crack at Lyon is absolutely fair enough , he's a public figure and their results and actions are fair game if you ask me but you have come to the attention of the Rossy Posse now , a bunch half a dozen old pricks with way too much time on their hands who will set upon you great anger and furious vengeance for daring to not bow down to their god

Expect to see your posting history examined from top to bottom for any hint of a contradiction or treasonous statements you may have made

At least your on the main board not the Freo one so you might escape them calling the mods down on your head

I suppose you have to give Lyon his due , any coach who can generate that sort of rabid fanaticism has to have something going for them

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Having a crack at Lyon is absolutely fair enough , he's a public figure and their results and actions are fair game if you ask me but you have come to the attention of the Rossy Posse now , a bunch half a dozen old pricks with way too much time on their hands who will set upon you great anger and furious vengeance for daring to not bow down to their god

Expect to see your posting history examined from top to bottom for any hint of a contradiction or treasonous statements you may have made

At least your on the main board not the Freo one so you might escape them calling the mods down on your head

I suppose you have to give Lyon his due , any coach who can generate that sort of rabid fanaticism has to have something going for them
You are right there is nothing wrong with having a crack but if you want people to take you seriously you need to make sense. His post included this insight:

"He's very much about roles and systems and such."

He sure is, just like every other AFL coach. Clarkson is awesome because his system is awesome and historically he had the players to execute.

Those sort of comments are just mindless fan rhetoric.

If you don't like the style of play, then fair enough. Comments about his ability to win football games are likely to be dribble because the dude can do that.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

His fans on the Freo board keep saying he has changed his style, but I don't see it. He's plagued with the same problems. There might be a bit quicker ball movement from half back, but we still break down at half forward and have a frustrating tendency to just bomb it in. We did that against Collingwood, but we seriously outplayed them through the middle and had 11 more inside 50s.

Why are we doing better this year? Because we have the second best defence in the league. This is a Ross Lyon specialty, having an elite defence. No one has ever questioned his defensive capabilities as coach.

We have the 12th best attacking score. We have the third worst effectiveness inside 50, only Gold Coast and Melbourne are worse. The same problems remain.

Total_Juddshanks

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Fee
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The good ones
Lyon having a coffee with Silvagni in Lygon St is cringeworthy stuff, like he doesn't know it's going to be seen and reported. Seriously. It's a transparent attempt to intimidate his own club in to signing him up for longer.

Now watch the freo board fall for it and offer him a further contract extension with big $$.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lyon having a coffee with Silvagni in Lygon St is cringeworthy stuff, like he doesn't know it's going to be seen and reported. Seriously. It's a transparent attempt to intimidate his own club in to signing him up for longer.

Now watch the freo board fall for it and offer him a further contract extension with big $$.
“Better sign him up for 10 years!!! We’ll never have a better coach!” - theGav56

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

freo spin cycle turned up full throttle

luckily freo supporters believe anything Lyon spouts
They still believe Lachie Neale left solely because of money..lol

serious head in the sand stuff

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
If you read it again, the two positions are not contradictory. Mental ability does deteriorate rapidly after 60, so I’ll let it slide.
Here we go. A snide little age-ist dig. Makes me imagine you on your skate board, cap turned backward, you young radical you. Is that your new persona? So young? So quick minded? So yo dude!!! So many new bigfooty accounts?

In the real world age-ism is regarded in the same way that sexism, racism, homophobia and class discrimination are regarded. Discrimination is the refuge of the bigot, and coming from someone who is routinely losing the debate in this forum is more than ironic.

But here's some Free Advice; if you are so worried about your mental ability deteriorating rapidly, I suggest buying some fish oil capsules in bulk and taking up Sudoku with a passion. Get in now because I'm not sure you can afford to lose much.

Last edited:

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
“Better sign him up for 10 years!!! We’ll never have a better coach!” - theGav56

It would probably be a good move for us and Carlton

Lyons been at Freo for ages , do you think we don't have all his defensive systems down pat ?

If we were forced to hire a more offensive coach would it be the end of the world ?

I love Perth , want to stay here long term blah blah

Next minute , coffees with Carlton

Soon as he could grab back some power with a couple of good but kinda lucky wins he straight away spins around and points it at Freo's head

He's a deadset W

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Gotta love Uno talking about Fremantle fans having their heads in the sand when they constantly believe anything negative the media says about us because "ItS fRoM tHe WeSt sO iT mUsT bE tRuE." Like so many of them still believe that everyone at the club hates Fyfe despite there being no legitimate claims to back it up and a lot of the players saying they look at Fyfe as a genuine leader. But of course, Brad Hardie and Kim Hagdorn are legitimate sources for news am I right???

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Gotta love Uno talking about Fremantle fans having their heads in the sand when they constantly believe anything negative the media says about us because "ItS fRoM tHe WeSt sO iT mUsT bE tRuE." Like so many of them still believe that everyone at the club hates Fyfe despite there being no legitimate claims to back it up and a lot of the players saying they look at Fyfe as a genuine leader. But of course, Brad Hardie and Kim Hagdorn are legitimate sources for news am I right???

as I said serious head in sand

'The media is sooooooo against us' lol.. Most of the claims come straight out of Freo

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It would probably be a good move for us and Carlton

Lyons been at Freo for ages , do you think we don't have all his defensive systems down pat ?

If we were forced to hire a more offensive coach would it be the end of the world ?

I love Perth , want to stay here long term blah blah

Next minute , coffees with Carlton

Soon as he could grab back some power with a couple of good but kinda lucky wins he straight away spins around and points it at Freo's head

He's a deadset W
I doubt he’s even intending on leaving, but it’s very strange timing. Carlton would certainly be every experienced coach’s golden handshake.

RossMonorail.gif

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
His fans on the Freo board keep saying he has changed his style, but I don't see it. He's plagued with the same problems. There might be a bit quicker ball movement from half back, but we still break down at half forward and have a frustrating tendency to just bomb it in. We did that against Collingwood, but we seriously outplayed them through the middle and had 11 more inside 50s.

Why are we doing better this year? Because we have the second best defence in the league. This is a Ross Lyon specialty, having an elite defence. No one has ever questioned his defensive capabilities as coach.

We have the 12th best attacking score. We have the third worst effectiveness inside 50, only Gold Coast and Melbourne are worse. The same problems remain.
If you want to know how badly the demons dropped from last year. Demons were averaging 104.5 points a game. This year after 11 games, its only 71

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
as I said serious head in sand

'The media is sooooooo against us' lol.. Most of the claims come straight out of Freo
Not all of the media is against us I can admit that no problem, you've got blokes like Mark Duffield and a few others who are very supportive of the club, but there are also some absolute idiots like those I mentioned earlier who are extremely anti-Fremantle it's not even funny. Guess the main gripe with it is that these clowns have pull in the media that their crap gets featured more often than not. But no, the whole media is not against us and any of my fellow Fremantle fans who do believe that like you have said, need their heads out of the sand.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon

Nice GIF, it honestly gave me a laugh, of course Freo aint crashing.

Lets say worst case scenario, Lyon does a complete ninja departure and is coaching Carlton come Saturday, a few Saints fans have been bleeting on since late 2011 that he'd bail and leave our club in tatters.

Instead he's shown he might just be a capable rebuilder, Fremantle's list is in decent shape, can always be improved, and performances are on the up. Off field, we havent traded the future away with picks (missing some later rounds this year atm) and the club continues to be solid as when it comes to finances and memberships.

Lyon ain't leaving but if he did, the house is in order and it'd be one of the more attractive coaching positions available with a plan to be playing finals asap.

pablo668

Premiership Player
May 3, 2007
Claremont
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
You are right there is nothing wrong with having a crack but if you want people to take you seriously you need to make sense. His post included this insight:

"He's very much about roles and systems and such."

He sure is, just like every other AFL coach. Clarkson is awesome because his system is awesome and historically he had the players to execute.

Those sort of comments are just mindless fan rhetoric.

If you don't like the style of play, then fair enough. Comments about his ability to win football games are likely to be dribble because the dude can do that.

Well, I didn't fell like writing out a thesis or anything so I didn't go into much detail.
Sure every coach has their systems and structures etc... The proof of the pudding is whether they work or not. A lot of the time in Ross's case, for multiple reasons, they don't.
Worse than that, it appears to me that no matter how badly things aren't working he sticks to those same structures et-al, this to me is foolish and shows a lack of game day nous.

Best not to bring up Clarkson, most of the time we have played Hawthorn in recent years they have opened us up like a Sunday ham. Is this the players or Ross being completely out coached?

On his insistence on players playing roles, two words, Zac (fecking) Dawson. How long did we put up with that spud in the team for? How can anyone want to use a player who 'doesn't like to kick'. I don't care how well someone fills a role, they still have to be a competent player with the full set of skills. But I guess I'm old school that way.

Lastly, I honestly think that Ross's style of gameplay and coaching crushes any kind of initiative or instinctive play out of the players.

I may well be completely wrong, but I'm not mindless, I do think about these things. Whether I'm taken seriously or not is .....unimportant.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Lastly, I honestly think that Ross's style of gameplay and coaching crushes any kind of initiative or instinctive play out of the players.
Yeah guys like Walters, B.Hill and Wilson haven't shown any of that on the field this season.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well, I didn't fell like writing out a thesis or anything so I didn't go into much detail.
Sure every coach has their systems and structures etc... The proof of the pudding is whether they work or not. A lot of the time in Ross's case, for multiple reasons, they don't.
Worse than that, it appears to me that no matter how badly things aren't working he sticks to those same structures et-al, this to me is foolish and shows a lack of game day nous.

Best not to bring up Clarkson, most of the time we have played Hawthorn in recent years they have opened us up like a Sunday ham. Is this the players or Ross being completely out coached?

On his insistence on players playing roles, two words, Zac (fecking) Dawson. How long did we put up with that spud in the team for? How can anyone want to use a player who 'doesn't like to kick'. I don't care how well someone fills a role, they still have to be a competent player with the full set of skills. But I guess I'm old school that way.

I may well be completely wrong, but I'm not mindless, I do think about these things. Whether I'm taken seriously or not is .....unimportant.
He's been to 3 grand finals (2 of which could easily have fallen his way). In what way does that indicate his systems don't work?

Also, literally every team, including the Hawks have roleplayers. Unless of course you can name a team of 22 superstars? Would Ross have preferred Rance or McGovern over Zac? Of course, but he didn't have them.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but it literally sounds like the majority of BF posters talking about Ross. Dude is clearly not perfect but the "evidence" you provide is just rubbish. You cite crap every single club does as if Ross is the only one who does it.

The one clear knock you can have is that it may not be great on the eye, and I'd agree with you. To extend it to all that stuff includine "crushing any kind of initiative..." is ridiculous. Have you read the North board or the Swans board lately? What do you reckon the chances of reading that in there are? I'll tell you, its 100%.

Re: Clarko - its simple, and I have said this in multiple threads on these forums. IMO, possession football is the most dominant tactic when executed well. Fair to say the Hawks have done it well in recent history. Interestingly enough, Freo was the only team to get near them on GF day during their threepeat.

Last edited:

pablo668

Premiership Player
May 3, 2007
Claremont
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Yeah guys like Walters, B.Hill and Wilson haven't shown any of that on the field this season.

Oh finally he speaks, though not saying much more than his last comment.

I tend to view these things as happening despite Ross's coaching, not because of.

Back