Prediction Changes v Blues

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Keep an eye out for West and Vandermeer to play in the second half
Both have been great in the VFL and are pushing for a spot
Picked Vandermeer to be the dud from our draft crop, but God I hope I'm wrong. Adding him into our side would honestly be incredible for addressing some of the issues we have. Having speed comparable to JJ, along with being a great kick and agility, makes me really confident going forward that we don't need to pick up another wing in the trade period.

I hope West comes on soon as a small pressure forward too. Both have a lot to offer if they can make it into the 22

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Keep an eye out for West and Vandermeer to play in the second half
Both have been great in the VFL and are pushing for a spot

Didn’t see much of Sunday’s game but both have been getting better numbers.
Hopefully we see him come in to the side playing predominantly fwd.

Vanders is an interesting one. Can he come in and have a crack at some of the roles Richards has ?

Picked Vandermeer to be the dud from our draft crop, but God I hope I'm wrong. Adding him into our side would honestly be incredible for addressing some of the issues we have. Having speed comparable to JJ, along with being a great kick and agility, makes me really confident going forward that we don't need to pick up another wing in the trade period.

I hope West comes on soon as a small pressure forward too. Both have a lot to offer if they can make it into the 22
he also brings a bit of campaigner to our team

I like how we are developing West in the VFL. playing him primary on the ball to help build his team for the AFL

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
he also brings a bit of campaigner to our team

I like how we are developing West in the VFL. playing him primary on the ball to help build his team for the AFL
Had no idea about this side - most of what I've seen of him were draft videos, and they generally only focus on ball usage and his running. Really good to hear that we seem to have targeted a few guys of this type (Sweet, Young, West and Smith are all real campaigners) since we've missed it the last couple of years since Picken and Clay Smith haven't been playing

Vanders is an interesting one. Can he come in and have a crack at some of the roles Richards has ?
He's the type of player that will succeed as a ulitiy/line breaking defender like Richards

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
I think its almost time to give Schache and Lewis Young extended playing time. This season is going nowhere and unless we have some functioning key position players it doesn’t look like we’ll be going anywhere in future seasons. Would also like to see Trengove move into the ruck to help out English. Although he did a fantastic job on Lynch a few weeks back, I don’t really like Trengove as a defender and I think his best skills are utilised in the ruck and although I really like English I think he’s probably a few seasons away from being a stand alone ruck, plus he looked useful when he went forward against North.

Not sure what the answers are but I don’t think we’re helping ourselves with these undersized lineups.

Maybe something like this:

B: Gardner - Lewis Young - Wood
HB: Daniel - Cordy - Crozier

R: Trengove - Dunkley - Bontempelli
C: Johannisen - Macrae - Hunter

HF: McLean - Schache - Wallis/Lipinski
F: Lloyd - Naughton - Gowers

I: Suckling - Liberatore - Smith - English

Not ideal but I think we need to see if the Young/Schache/Gardner types are worth persisting with or if we need to seriously target some key position players during the off season (might need to do this regardless)

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Most important change is don’t allow Cripps to stand on his own feeding out handballs to Petrevski Seton on his own.........and have at least one tall defender in the backline. Oh and at least pretend Carlton are a good team and treat them with a modicum of respect because we only play well when we care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Copping two new coaches in three games is crappy luck.

Honestly, the first half was pretty good and then we faded. Would keep changed minimal.

Would consider English more forward, Trengove starting ruck and Gardner back.

I like Lewis Young but it sends a pretty clear message if Gardner is brought in from outside the AFL for a game ahead of you. Maybe West in if injuries.

IN: West
OUT: Williams

West to play forward, Dale in defence.
Wouldn't mind seeing Lewis Young get a run but hard to see who he replaces unless there's a surprise injury.

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
IN: West
OUT: Williams

West to play forward, Dale in defence.
Wouldn't mind seeing Lewis Young get a run but hard to see who he replaces unless there's a surprise injury.
When has Dale played back? I dont think recall he has ever played that position before. He is much more suited to a HFF/wing. Also Williams was decent so would be hard to drop him off that performance

When has Dale played back? I dont think recall he has ever played that position before. He is much more suited to a HFF/wing. Also Williams was decent so would be hard to drop him off that performance
Dale spent the pre-season before last playing HB, showed a bit of promise but haven't really seen him used there at AFL level.

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dale spent the pre-season before last playing HB, showed a bit of promise but haven't really seen him used there at AFL level.
Wasnt aware of that at all as he have an overload of half backs. I think with his skills he is better used to playing the HFF flank role as Lloyd, Libba and him are the only blokes I think I don't get nervous when they are having a shot at goal...

On a side note Lloyd has been really good for us really happy with his output this year

You're right. Dale hasn't played back to my knowledge* but if Williams goes out then I wouldn't mind trying Dale there at some stage. His skillset could be handy - a bit like a Bob Murphy although perhaps not with the same exquisite delivery. If not this week then sometime before Rd 1 2020. If he starts to strike some form as a half-fwd/wing then OK, but he's not exactly killing it there just yet.

As for Williams, was he that good on Sunday? Nobody really talked him up.

I want a look at West and I think he's just about ready. Who comes out if not Williams? McLean? Young? We got pumped by 10 goals so they can't all have been in good touch.

Incidentally there's a fair chance Crozier, Morris and Duryea come back in the next couple of weeks. They're all listed as "test". While I wouldn't expect them all coming back to the seniors at the same time it's going to mean players like Williams are on shaky ground. Anyway, if the consensus is that he was good on Sunday I'm happy for him to try to consolidate that form before the others come back.

I just want to see West laying tackles in the forward half!

*EDIT: just saw Mofra's reply. I was wrong.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With the 6-6-6 start up patterns who comes out for Dale to go in, when the game starts or is in motion yes
you can drop back spares, but the net effect is unbalancing other parts of the ground. Any half decent
coach knows you sit on Daniel and JJ and it's over, plus get the match up right and it opens up an avenue
to goal while our tall defenders zone their tall forwards. To quote Forrest Gump "Stupid is as stupid does"
maybe just maybe have a look at the teams that concede the least points for a common theme.

go the dogs

All Australian
Apr 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's obvious the coaches don't see Schache working out. Should they throw him to CHB and see what he has got. He moves well for a big guy and just got to look at Moore and Jones and what they have done

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With the 6-6-6 start up patterns who comes out for Dale to go in, when the game starts or is in motion yes
you can drop back spares, but the net effect is unbalancing other parts of the ground. Any half decent
coach knows you sit on Daniel and JJ and it's over, plus get the match up right and it opens up an avenue
to goal while our tall defenders zone their tall forwards. To quote Forrest Gump "Stupid is as stupid does"
maybe just maybe have a look at the teams that concede the least points for a common theme.
Points Against:
Geelong 751 (Rank 1st)
Bulldogs 1001 (Rank 17th)

Jake Kolodjashnij: 193 cm 94 kg
Zach Tuohy: 187 cm 93 kg
Tom Stewart: 190 cm 88 kg
Mark Blicavs: 198 cm 100 kg
Harry Taylor: 195 cm 94 kg
Mark O'Connor 191 cm 87 kg

Interesting statistics Yojimbo LYW (Love your work) so Melbourne are the only team in the competition
who leak more than us and we are behind Carlton and Gold Coast despite the thrashings. Gee I can't
help that notice that Geelong starting defence has some big beefers in it, not overly concerned with
rebound I see.

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS

This gives us an insight to the confusion that reigns at the moment with both coaches and players.

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Where does vanders leave Brad Lynch ?

I thought Lynch was developing ok last year as that running half back.
A couple of injuries amongst being played /trialled as a small pressure forward and where is he at ?

Lets just hope that he settles young guys like Ed Richards Lynch and Vanders into spots.
Like so many in our squad they need to know their role and work towards it - rather than having so much uncertainty.

It's obvious the coaches don't see Schache working out. Should they throw him to CHB and see what he has got. He moves well for a big guy and just got to look at Moore and Jones and what they have done
Certainly worth a try at least

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Where does vanders leave Brad Lynch ?

I thought Lynch was developing ok last year as that running half back.
A couple of injuries amongst being played /trialled as a small pressure forward and where is he at ?

Lets just hope that he settles young guys like Ed Richards Lynch and Vanders into spots.
Like so many in our squad they need to know their role and work towards it - rather than having so much uncertainty.

Not sure about Lynch being a small pressure Fwd. When played in the 1’s it was more a high fwd/wing, even a little off half back.
I thought he did ok in those games but wasn’t outstanding. Needs to come on in the twos as Richards is a fair way ahead.
Vanders still has plenty of credits as we haven’t seen what he can do yet.
Richards, Vanders, Lynch that’s probably my order of who’s closest to a permanent spot in the 22.

I wouldn’t worry too much about players not knowing their role. We’re a professional sporting club, so I doubt they aren’t given specific instructions on what they need to work on and for what role.

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

This absolutely has to occur before sending him on his way at the end of his contract.
I asked a recruiter about his junior days and they said he never played back in his life so may be a stretch but one worth giving a shot.

I thought he was tracking well myself as a fwd in a side where being a fwd is not easy.
Also has not probably been given the time to cement a spot as others (Such as Tom Boyd) was given in a similar role.

Think he actually compliments Naughton as a second tall forward.
Perhaps he needs to watch a alot of Lynch from Adelaide videos.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm on the bandwagon with debuting West Jnr against the Blues. We need to do something (more than one thing probably) to wrest the psychological narrative away from them. And apparently on form, West Jnr is about ready for his first game.

Drop someone whose name is not Bailey.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Carlton have the same number of players over 190 cm as they do under, interesting game this one.

Not good having both sides coming off the BYE particularly with the Geelong VFL game such an
absolute stinker, tough to make changes.

Back