Toast Trevor Barker inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame!

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
That’s why blokes like Plugger, Barry Hall and Luke Ball can **** right off, absolute nobodies. No loyalty.
Will never agree with that. Silly comment.

Got a great story to tell about barks. Went to a news years eve party at Paul morwards house in the 80’s with a few mates. We had a fair few drinks. Great night but then we noticed a mate missing. This guy was a rugby union player and was about 6.6 and probably 120kg. We couldn’t find him not that we were looking hard as the party was going off. Then all of a sudden barks walks in trying to hold our mate up and yelled out who owns this guy. Found him in the gutter asleep out the front of the house. Sums up barks. Was still looking after guys twice his size.

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just got home from golf, and watched the broadcast of the AFL awards ceremony. I will admit to a little blub when Trevor's Mum came out to accept his award. Couldn't help it. I am a week older than Trevor so it always strikes me hard when I realise he was only 39 when he died. Great player, person, and coach. Such a pity he never coached us at Senior level. We were lucky to have him.

Exactly Verdun disappointing that he never coached the club , think history might have changed
in that regard .

I'm a Collingwood person, and I was only a kid when Barker was at his best, but he was always one of the biggest characters in the game. He was a loyal Saint, but to me he has always symbolised something beautiful about the game more generally.

He was an exuberant player, sublimely skilled, but also incredibly tough. He took marks from the front position as well as floating above the pack, and he certainly didn't mind going against the flight of the ball.

As others have said, a worthy and overdue inductee.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Exactly Verdun disappointing that he never coached the club , think history might have changed
in that regard .

When he came back as reserves coach, he was the heir apparent.

They gave Alves the job and replaced his as soon as they could with Watson, who Plympton said "had the same values as Trevor".

Such a St Kilda thing to do...

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
When he came back as reserves coach, he was the heir apparent.

They gave Alves the job and replaced his as soon as they could with Watson, who Plympton said "had the same values as Trevor".

Such a St Kilda thing to do...

Actually more a Brighton Yacht club thing to do.

Always had a lot of great players the Saints .....not so many great Admin people there lies the problem

Parkers tatts

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
One of my best stkilda memories is this .i was 13 and around January 13-16 1996 and was at pre season training with my old man at some massive oval In melbourne with eyes as big as dinner plates watching my heroes running around . We were in the middle with the trainers and the only two there. We had the run of the place .
Burke Loewe Harvey winmar Jones Shanahan Alves Everett . 2 hours had gone by chatted with them all and the boys lined up and signed my jumper with some even yelling out to others who were leaving to come back and sign the boys jumper . Jumper signed and a thin man was walking by with a Saints shirt on and dad tugged my shoulder and said YOU NEED THAT MANS AUTOGRAPH ( I’m getting goosebumps writing this )

I went over excused me can you please sign my jumper . He smiled said of course I shook his hand and said thanks. Dad just stood to the side and they nodded to each other . Dad clearly knowing Trevor hasn’t got long here and Trev thanks for having the boy come over ( one day he’ll appreciate the signature )
Fast forward to late April 96 and on the news there was the thin man from training and he had died . Seeing all the st kilda people crying and then at his funeral I realised how lucky I was to shake that mans hand . That jumper now hangs in my sons room .

I carry on here quite a bit but st kilda is family to me not just my team I ******* love them and we are st kilda because of blokes like Trevor barker

Will never agree with that. Silly comment.

Got a great story to tell about barks. Went to a news years eve party at Paul morwards house in the 80’s with a few mates. We had a fair few drinks. Great night but then we noticed a mate missing. This guy was a rugby union player and was about 6.6 and probably 120kg. We couldn’t find him not that we were looking hard as the party was going off. Then all of a sudden barks walks in trying to hold our mate up and yelled out who owns this guy. Found him in the gutter asleep out the front of the house. Sums up barks. Was still looking after guys twice his size.

i think he's just trying to show that the players who turn their backs on premiership success or more money to stay with the club they love should be held in special regard and a higher view

i wasn't around for barks, but for me that is players like lowe, burke, harves, roo and lenny. they would have had buckets of cash thrown at them but decided to stick fat.

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
What a star Trevor Barker was. The football club has never had a more loyal or respected servant.

Really nice seeing the montage Fox Footy put together which had Luke Beveridge and Danny Frawley sitting together at the club talking about Trevor.

Danny was very emotional at the end and Luke comforted him by patting him on the back.

Maybe I’m sentimental but it would be nice see Luke back at the Saints when his time at the Bulldogs ends. I sense he will come back because it’s a big part of his football journey.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
One of my best stkilda memories is this .i was 13 and around January 13-16 1996 and was at pre season training with my old man at some massive oval In melbourne with eyes as big as dinner plates watching my heroes running around . We were in the middle with the trainers and the only two there. We had the run of the place .
Burke Loewe Harvey winmar Jones Shanahan Alves Everett . 2 hours had gone by chatted with them all and the boys lined up and signed my jumper with some even yelling out to others who were leaving to come back and sign the boys jumper . Jumper signed and a thin man was walking by with a Saints shirt on and dad tugged my shoulder and said YOU NEED THAT MANS AUTOGRAPH ( I’m getting goosebumps writing this )

I went over excused me can you please sign my jumper . He smiled said of course I shook his hand and said thanks. Dad just stood to the side and they nodded to each other . Dad clearly knowing Trevor hasn’t got long here and Trev thanks for having the boy come over ( one day he’ll appreciate the signature )
Fast forward to late April 96 and on the news there was the thin man from training and he had died . Seeing all the st kilda people crying and then at his funeral I realised how lucky I was to shake that mans hand . That jumper now hangs in my sons room .

I carry on here quite a bit but st kilda is family to me not just my team I ******* love them and we are st kilda because of blokes like Trevor barker
Champion story.

My story of Barks is a bit different, we met a few times over the years, but the first time was at the social club after a game at Moorabbin, he had a real dirty day, so bad i overheard one player say to him "If you dont want to be out here let another bloke have a run, your shirking it". That night full of the good beer i walked up to Barks who was chatting to a few very nice looking ladies and said how bad did you play today? i hope your not going to shirk it with the ladies like you did on the field, he told me to well and truely, "Go Away" lol.

My next altercation was behind the posts at the Nepean Highway end, it was a practice match and it was freezing cold. I overheard Barkes say to his opponent, i think it was a Norf player, F this i have had enough, clutches his hammy and put his hand up, i yelled out " Your still shirking it Barker" he walked over to behind the goals and gave me a spray and it wasnt how nice i looked in my Saints gear :D we were both the same size and in those days i was as fit as a bull, i was expecting him to jump the fence, but he just glared at me, my reply was "your still a champion don't let the little things get to you", he smiled and walked away.

Altercation number 3, i was up at the old rubbish exchange station at the old City of Sandringham depot dropping some trees off, i noticed a merc pull up and a guy get out, take some rubbish from the car, and when i looked across there was Barker sitting in the drivers seat doing nothing, he looked at me i looked at him, i said your still shirking it Barks with a big grin on my face, he got out of the car, i thought here we go, he walked over to me shook my hand and offered me a few free work outs at the King Club, he knew it was all in jest and that i was just baiting him.

I was shocked when i heard of his passing, Barks was never one of my footy heroes, i had others, but he was the consummate club man and was a great player, he took a hit for the club many times, just like Barry Breen did, anything for the club, a true clubman but the bum wipes we had in charge back in the day were too busy looking at themselfs.

Well deserved, it should of been sooner

R.I.P Trevor Barker

Doug Hogan 23

Cancelled
Apr 9, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
i think he's just trying to show that the players who turn their backs on premiership success or more money to stay with the club they love should be held in special regard and a higher view

i wasn't around for barks, but for me that is players like lowe, burke, harves, roo and lenny. they would have had buckets of cash thrown at them but decided to stick fat.
Correct, in all seriousness if it wasn't for Barks St Kilda would not exist, that's how close we were to extinction in the early 80's.

As big as Roo was in his pomp, he never came near to how idolised Barks was in his era, that's how big Barks was for all of those who never had the privilege of seeing him play. There's a whole generation of Saints fans who were bred by girls who fell in love with Trevor even though they never met him. Micky Roberts could tell you some serious stories....

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Correct, in all seriousness if it wasn't for Barks St Kilda would not exist, that's how close we were to extinction in the early 80's.

As big as Roo was in his pomp, he never came near to how idolised Barks was in his era, that's how big Barks was for all of those who never had the privilege of seeing him play. There's a whole generation of Saints fans who were bred by girls who fell in love with Trevor even though they never met him. Micky Roberts could tell you some serious stories....
Mick and Trevor owned the disco...

He was just a humble guy.

We should also remember that there were other club champions who stuck with us and took a big haircut on monies owed to them.

It want just Trevor that kept us going.

Doug Hogan 23

Cancelled
Apr 9, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Mick and Trevor owned the disco...

He was just a humble guy.

We should also remember that there were other club champions who stuck with us and took a big haircut on monies owed to them.

It want just Trevor that kept us going.
Joffa was one, as was the great Jeff Sarau. Barks stood out because he gave the car he won in 1981 back to the club to auction off to pay the players owed wages. And what did the club do? Paid him 10 cents in the dollar the scoundrels, he deserved better.

Oh man did I start welling up at work when I read today's paper.
His dear old Mum holding his old jumper to her face and claiming she could still smell her son.

The high marks were awesome but geez the man was one of the best tacklers I've ever seen.
Cried when he died and now I'm still bloody crying all these yrs later.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Joffa was one, as was the great Jeff Sarau. Barks stood out because he gave the car he won in 1981 back to the club to auction off to pay the players owed wages. And what did the club do? Paid him 10 cents in the dollar the scoundrels, he deserved better.
Yes absolutely.

I think a few of the 66 crew are still owed.

Breen, Cowboy, Smith.

I reckon Pup would be midfielder height these days.

The nearest we came to Trev in the modern era was Lenny IMO... If the younguns want some sort of comparison

I've said this before and been laughed at but Premierships are just a lucky by product of playing footy. Not the be all to end all.
Even a powerful club like Collingwood has only won 2 flags in the last 60yrs. But look at their passion.
It's the memories and moments shared with family and friends that makes footy bloody amazing.
My childhood memories of someone like Trevor Barker are priceless.

But in saying that , if we win a flag I will be drunk for a month.:drunk:

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC

There are better ways to say it than telling guys who have left to * right off. They are nobodies. Its fine to have an opinion but why do people in social media just go overboard. No way would he say that with a group of Saints fans to their faces. Likely to get a punch in head from someone. I loved Barks but Plugger is and will always be my hero. Why couldn't he just wrap up Barks instead of putting others down. Bally didn't have much choice for a start.

Anyway rapt for Barks mum and I think it was Melinda his girlfriend for many years. Someone will remember. Had the privilege in sitting next to Jack Barker after the 2009 GF. He was well then but I knew his second wife and she in great health. Had a great night after a bloody terrible day.

And as others have said Barks was the king of the girls at Saints disco on Friday nights in the on season and off season. No wonder we couldn't win games. Half the side were there.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
What a star Trevor Barker was. The football club has never had a more loyal or respected servant.

Really nice seeing the montage Fox Footy put together which had Luke Beveridge and Danny Frawley sitting together at the club talking about Trevor.

Danny was very emotional at the end and Luke comforted him by patting him on the back.

Maybe I’m sentimental but it would be nice see Luke back at the Saints when his time at the Bulldogs ends. I sense he will come back because it’s a big part of his football journey.
Just saw the video. Brilliant tribute.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Just saw the video. Brilliant tribute.
Is a fantastic video but I’m 99% sure they stuffed up one highlight. At at about 4.30 they show a Richmond player backing into barks who uses his body and takes a chest mark. I’m nearly certain that’s Greg burns. That’s exactly how he used to mark

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I remember a day or 2 after Trevor passed, we played and beat the dogs at waverly. The crowd was emotional and sombre during the pre-match and it was just very subdued the whole way through. I remember Rex Hunt and the 3aw guys recalling their favourite Trevor Barker memories. And then suddenly, news broke of something tragic happening in Port Arthur. Just a surreal day to be a part of, and a day I'll never forget.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I remember a day or 2 after Trevor passed, we played and beat the dogs at waverly. The crowd was emotional and sombre during the pre-match and it was just very subdued the whole way through. I remember Rex Hunt and the 3aw guys recalling their favourite Trevor Barker memories. And then suddenly, news broke of something tragic happening in Port Arthur. Just a surreal day to be a part of, and a day I'll never forget.
Won’t forget that day. Shocking day.

marcus1232

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2009
knoxfield
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was a little too young to see barker play.
But the impact he had on me as a kid will never be forgotten.
I used to go watch sandringham play on the weekend in the early 90s when he was coaching them.
I was fortunate enough to meet him through my step dad at the time and he invited me to the coaches box to sit with him as he coached incredible experience.
The next weekend i won an effort medal from my junior football club and took it proud as punch to sandy and showed him during the team awards that evening in the rooms he pulled me in front of the whole team and congratulated me and bought me a coke a moment i will never ever forget.
He is the reason I follow St.Kilda and Sandringham as passionately as I do.
My most treasured possession is a Sandringham history book with his signature inside it.
He is the greatest Saint of all

jimmytigs

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
renegades st.kildacc celtic celtics
just looking through his stats,in round 4 1978 he received 11 free kicks in 1 game,i tried to find the records on this stat but couldnt,it would have to be some kind of record

Back