Taylor Walker... how's he going?

This thread was always going to go well.

You have the people who love him and think he's going well, and those of us who also love the bloke but are more realistic with his performance this season.

He's had good days and he's had some stinkers. The gap between best and worst is growing and it's of some concern.

And then there are those who love to exaggerate the issues. I remember when some people on this board were saying he was cooked in early 2017 ffs.

Is he in good form? No, obviously not but the team is not doing him any favours with their forward entries. The only common thought in this thread that I actually agree with, is that he's probably carrying too much weight.

Honestly, not sure it would matter if we keep kicking to him like we are. I mean, are we the worst team at spotting up a lead from our best forward in the league? The number of times he gets wide open on a lead and we put the ball in the spot that only his opponent can get to is staggering sometimes.

Every forward in the league has to deal with kicks being mishit, or being out of position for a ball in the 50. Tex is no pariah there. The fact it's occurring regularly with a wide range of players indicates that problem is as much on Tex, as it is the ball carrier.

Is he giving up on the out of position ones too quickly (not surprising, seeing he's gotten into that horrible habit of trying to one hand the ball in a marking contest)? is it the lack of confidence which is causing Tex to choose leads that are making kicks more difficult? is it just bad luck? Of course, that could just be a symptom of being in poor form, seeing poor form and bad luck can go hand in hand.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I respect Tex tremendously and love him as a player and clubman. Do I also think his body is letting him down and he is unlikely to perform at a high level? Yes.
Tex is on a very similar end of career trajectory to Travis Cloke. Cloke retired at the end of 2017 at the age of 30 after playing 11 games that year and despite having a year left on his contract. There is no shame in father time catching up with you. It happens to every footballer.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Tex is on a very similar end of career trajectory to Travis Cloke. Cloke retired at the end of 2017 at the age of 30 after playing 11 games that year and despite having a year left on his contract. There is no shame in father time catching up with you. It happens to every footballer.
100%

Every forward in the league has to deal with kicks being mishit, or being out of position for a ball in the 50. Tex is no pariah there. The fact it's occurring regularly with a wide range of players indicates that problem is as much on Tex, as it is the ball carrier.

Is he giving up on the out of position ones too quickly (not surprising, seeing he's gotten into that horrible habit of trying to one hand the ball in a marking contest)? is it the lack of confidence which is causing Tex to choose leads that are making kicks more difficult? is it just bad luck? Of course, that could just be a symptom of being in poor form, seeing poor form and bad luck can go hand in hand.

What an absurd false conclusion. There's absolutely no reason why it logically follows that consistent skill errors on the part of some players must be the fault of others.

There was nothing difficult about the kicks required for several of the leads missed on the weekend. Good leads, open Walker, kick over his head, or behind him. I rarely see the Eagles miss Kennedy in similar circumstances.

This is barrow pushing stuff. You want Tex to be the bearer of all criticism to the point where you've abandoned even the pretence of reasonableness about it.

Our forward 50 entries are a problem for all of our forwards, and its because we have a largely unskilled midfield who often miss kicks.

Last edited:

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
What an absurd false conclusion. There's absolutely no reason why it logically follows that consistent skill errors on the part of some players must be the fault of others.

There was nothing difficult about the kicks required for several of the leads missed on the weekend. Good leads, open Walker, kick over his head, or behind him. I rarely see the Eagles miss Kennedy in similar circumstances.

This is barrow pushing stuff. You want Tex to be the bearer of all criticism to the point where you've abandoned even the pretence of being reasonableness about it.

Our forward 50 entries are a problem for all of our forwards, and its because we have a largely unskilled midfield who often miss kicks.

That’s the perfect summary of this thread.

I'm not suggesting Tex is crap, but the stat you quoted is misleading.

Tex is only ranked #32 in average contested marks this year, and also #31 for average marks inside 50. Equal #49 for average score involvements, #35 for average goal assists, and #31 for average goals. Minimum 3 games played for all.

The stats put him as decent forward but not AFL leading in any category which fits what we've seen of him this year. Using raw totals of course inflates his position as he has played every game

I respect Tex tremendously and love him as a player and clubman. Do I also think his body is letting him down and he is unlikely to perform at a high level? Yes.

You have the people who love him and think he's going well, and those of us who also love the bloke but are more realistic with his performance this season.

He's had good days and he's had some stinkers. The gap between best and worst is growing and it's of some concern.

Also he is 15th for total contested marks, though 32nd on average.

Total vs average. Biases the data to forwards that have played more games, so it's misleading to compare players using totals unless they've played the same number of games

I don't hate the guy, I WANT him to be the player he has been for large parts of his career..... but he isn't anymore

Pressure is coming from all angles, not just this board, are they all wrong ??

If Tex can capture better form in the second half of this season, we are still going to be a strong chance to do serious damage this season. The question we're all debating right now is "will Tex capture better form?"

If you look at a large sample size it is blindingly obvious since the middle of last year to today, Tex has struggled and more so against Clubs like the Hawks, Cats, Giants and his poor Eagles game not to mention the bath that Pearce gave him against Freo.

His done well against teams that will finish near the bottom at the end of this year like the the Suns and Saints.

Tex's contested marks and goals scored in 2019 is similar to Jenkins for the 5 games they have played together. That is irrefutable fact.

I hope Davis goes to Tex on Saturday, as this will be a good test for him as he had held to just one goal last time and just 6 disposals last time in a game we lost that cost us a position in the 8.

Now we have the perfect summary for the thread.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Now we have the perfect summary for the thread.

How is this thread and tex any different from every player, Betts JJ Sauce Sloane Crouch, if any of them stop performing to what they are paid they will be looked at, the only problem is Tex is down on form but the alternative is worse at this moment in time, so he will be kept in until someone like EH can show he can perform which he hasn't

This thread was always going to go well.

Nobody thinks "he's going well". But he's not as crap as some have painted him.

I think you should at least confine your trolling to the topic.

You’ve already been picked up about continually making inferences regarding the mental health of other posters.

I did with you, I provided accurate reliable data.

When you were proven comprehensively and unequivocally wrong, the tone of your posts and the snide remarks elevated. I have made no disparaging inferences regarding your mental health status. I will point out that over time your posts towards me became hostile and bullying instead of behaving with respect, with that I responded in kind., I tried ignoring it at times. If you stuck to the topic and was respectful I would have responded with the same tone and courtesy.

I never ever attacked another poster out of the blue. It worries me when this happens when others do it, it makes me think they have some deep seated personal problems. Your hostility and posting style elevated every day since this thread opened. Your anger began when I posted a fact, I didnt even quote you either.

You have been deliberately trolling me since I posted here data and failed miserably its interesting because I read a post that called Tex and a-hole and you didnt react or comment at all.

But you took offense to data that disproves you entirely. Not just by me either.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I did with you, I provided accurate reliable data.

When you were proven comprehensively and unequivocally wrong, the tone of your posts and the snide remarks elevated. I have made no disparaging inferences regarding your mental health status. I will point out that over time your posts towards me became hostile and bullying instead of behaving with respect, with that I responded in kind., I tried ignoring it at times. If you stuck to the topic and was respectful I would have responded with the same tone and courtesy.

I never ever attacked another poster out of the blue. It worries me when this happens when others do it, it makes me think they have some deep seated personal problems. Your hostility and posting style elevated every day since this thread opened. Your anger began when I posted a fact, I didnt even quote you either.

You have been deliberately trolling me since I posted here data and failed miserably its interesting because I read a post that called Tex and a-hole and you didnt react or comment at all.

But you took offense to data that disproves you entirely. Not just by me either.
Dear oh dear - here we are 30 odd pages later and you still can’t admit:

1. According to CD Tex ranks #5 amongst AFL forwards as measured between R5-10; and

2. At the AFC he ranks
#2 for goals
#1 for goal assists
#2 for score involvements;

These are statistical facts, not opinions, that you are unable to accept.

Last edited:
Its funny because you dont realise how funny it is until you see different posters in another thread, having a fight and roll your at them and then think geez I acted like that too.

Personally, I've always thought it's fine as long as people don't catch feelings from it. A forceful expression of views, whilst still on subject, is ok.

It's when people start declaring life long enmities that you have a problem (for example several of the posters who constantly tag Sanders in inane ramblings because their life is now devoted to getting their vengeance, in this thread or the next).

Dear oh dear - here we are 30 odd pages later and you still can’t admit:

1. According to CD Tex ranks #5 amongst AFL forwards as measured between R5-10; and

2. At the AFC he ranks
#2 for goals
#1 for goal assists
#2 for score involvements;

These are statistical facts, not opinions, that you are unable to accept.

Well done. Congratulations. I applaud you for changing your postal style and sticking strictly to the topic. Thank you. :thumbsu:

Lets break this down.

The fact that he did well during this period does not tell the entire story of Tex Walker since the middle of last year.

What you have done is what is referred to from a statistical point of view is looked at a small sample size and not explored why. That group of games that you also provided is what is called outliers.

I have already gone through this before with you in great detail and explained why.

Why are you looking at strictly those R5-R10 games?

Why not since the start of the year?

Why not since the middle of last year? Because it will lead to a different conclusion.

Peter this has been explained to you a few times already he ranks that highly at the AFC primarily because he has played more games than other big forwards at our Club. I have also already outlined to you that when you compare him to Jenkins they are almost on par for performances in 2019.

Also lets not forget his ranking at the AFC as a forward should not be a measuring stick, it should be the rest of the competition and even then we should be comparing him to the best. We should be wanting to be the best in the competition or strive towards that. Being the best at the AFC should not be good enough.

If we can drop players like Jenkins and Gibbs, then absolutely no player should be excused for poor performances.

Tex has already had two back to back poor games, coupled with his poor games in R1 to R4 and the Freo game. If in the next 3 games he has a similar output, would you consider dropping him? Should he be dropped?

I hope he actually dominates the next three games to be honest because our finals chances will dramatically increase. I will be genuinely over the moon and excited on here, I have always loved and adored the big guy, but unfortunately every great career has to come to an end.

I will give you the heads up that he will likely be in the Top 5 in the AFL again for forwards. How can I predict this for almost a certainty?

Well he will do this when you look at only after R16 to before R21. Again this will be the outlier period, tell me why you think I am certain he will be again a top 5 AFL forward from this period?

Your answer is the reason, why I have concerns about Tex against some teams and not others.

For the record, I have provided many meaningful statistical facts over a longer period of time with a more reliable sample size to negate outliers and make it more reliable and accurate to draw reasonable conclusions?

Why have you not been able to accept this or the analysis that other posters have detailed to you?

Last edited:

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well done. Congratulations. I applaud you for changing your postal style and sticking strictly to the topic. Thank you. :thumbsu:

Lets break this down.

The fact that he did well during this period does not tell the entire story of Tex Walker since the middle of last year.

What you have done is what is referred to from a statistical point of view is looked at a small sample size and not explored why. That group of games that you also provided is what is called outliers.

I have already gone through this before with you in great detail and explained why.

Why are you looking at strictly those R5-R10 games?

Why not since the start of the year?

Why not since the middle of last year? Because it will lead to a different conclusion.

Peter this has been explained to you a few times already he ranks that highly at the AFC primarily because he has played more games than other big forwards at our Club. I have also already outlined to you that when you compare him to Jenkins they are almost on par for performances in 2019.

Also lets not forget his ranking at the AFC as a forward should not be a measuring stick, it should be the rest of the competition and even then we should be comparing him to the best. We should be wanting to be the best in the competition or strive towards that. Being the best at the AFC should not be good enough.

If we can drop players like Jenkins and Gibbs, then absolutely no player should be excused for poor performances.

Tex has already had two back to back poor games, coupled with his poor games in R1 to R4 and the Freo game. If in the next 3 games he has a similar output, would you consider dropping him? Should he be dropped?

I hope he actually dominates the next three games to be honest because our finals chances will dramatically increase. I will be genuinely over the moon and excited on here, I have always loved and adored the big guy, but unfortunately every great career has to come to an end.

I will give you the heads up that he will likely be in the Top 5 in the AFL again for forwards. How can I predict this for almost a certainty?

Well he will do this when you look at only after R16 to before R21. Again this will be the outlier period, tell me why you think I am certain he will be again a top 5 AFL forward from this period?

Your answer is the reason, why I have concerns about Tex against some teams and not others.

For the record, I have provided many meaningful statistical facts over a longer period of time with a more reliable sample size to negate outliers and make it more reliable and accurate to draw reasonable conclusions?

Why have you not been able to accept this or the analysis that other posters have detailed to you?

Look it’s very simple why I have isolated those facts.

The OP started a thread stating that Tex should be dropped for the R11 game v Melb.

In arguing the position against, clearly R5-10 is relevant, far more relevant than 2018 form.

If an independent and credible source provides data that from R5-10 he’s the 5th best forward in the league, would you agree that it makes it difficult to sustain an argument that he should be omitted for R11, even allowing for the vagaries of statisticial interpretation?

It was also relevant to consider that, prior to R11 he was top 20 in the AFL for goals kicked and goal assists.

Now, since then you’ve taken everyone on a wild ride all over the place while ignoring the OP.

Should he have been dropped for R11? The answer was very clearly no, based upon all available data.

If he plays 4-6 weeks of poor football then of course his position should be reviewed, and in those circumstances my position would undoubtedly be different.

But when considering whether he should be dropped after R10 for the R11 match, the only answer can be no- and he wasn’t. So the OP was wrong as are those who supported it.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Should just change the thread title to:

"Should a player be immune to ever being dropped regardless of performance if one of the following criteria is met?"

Criteria 1. There isn't a valid option to replace said player with even if his replacement is not given an opportunity to prove they are a better option.

Criteria 2. If their poor play is not their fault and therefore exonerates them from any responsibility for their performance or lack thereof.

Mods please update. Back to the argument:)

Last edited:

gtrxuone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 20, 2014
W.A.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Black Ducks
Terry Wallace was commenting on the radio coverage Dees v Crows.That he thinks Tex has a Glute injury.Inflammation of the upper buttox+lower hip area.And has trouble turning,jumping and doesn't want physical contact around the hip area.Might explain the Shannon Hurn thing the week before.

Back