Who couldn’t Malthouse work with at Richmond?

Just reading about Malthouse’s well deserved Hall of Fame entry, the article mentions he could have been the Tigers coach back in 1999 but there was someone at Richmond he couldn’t work with. That someone isn’t named, he ended up at Collingwood & that was that.

Who was at Richmond then that didn’t see eye to eye with him?

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Just reading about Malthouse’s well deserved Hall of Fame entry, the article mentions he could have been the Tigers coach back in 1999 but there was someone at Richmond he couldn’t work with. That someone isn’t named, he ended up at Collingwood & that was that.

Who was at Richmond then that didn’t see eye to eye with him?

TJ

Malthouse has been on record saying when he rocked up for the interview at richmond, TJ pulled out a bottle of wine and Malthouse thought it was a very unprofessional process compared to what Collingwood were doing

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Don't know the history here, so I'll ask: Why?
They hate each other. Malthouse was Brad’s coach at the bulldogs, left after 2 seasons with his first winning a Brownlow. No love lost between those 2. I know Brad and he is a lovely guy, I’ve never met Malthouse but he seems like a prick.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
They hate each other. Malthouse was Brad’s coach at the bulldogs, left after 2 seasons with his first winning a Brownlow. No love lost between those 2. I know Brad and he is a lovely guy, I’ve never met Malthouse but he seems like a prick.

Even Buckley seems to think so

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Yeah. Years back I read Sir Douglas Hawkins' poignant autobiography Hawk Namure and he wasn't too enamoured with Mick's reign of evil at the club either. I must see if I still have it somewhere...

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

MM is the epitome of w***ererism.

Back