Preview Geelong v Richmond Friday 7th June 750 pm @ MCG

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think supporters - and basically all clubs - are a bit too precious when it comes to booing - youve suggested - Ablett this week - who cares !

Our opponent this week Rich - i can remember going to the MCG - and the Geel supporters hooting Kevin Bartlett ( champion player ) every time he touched the ball -you hungary barrstd and all the rest of it - and why did they boo - simple - because he was very good
My understanding is they were saying "Boo-urns".

No.. I just don't think we are the alpha dog team in their eyes.. some if most of that is due to our recent Sept failure. We have used up our credits..and are now considered a good to very good team but not really a flag threat till we do it when it counts.
I understand why Collingwood is being talked up after last years GF

I don't see how anyone could think different.
Given the change to the forward structure, and the new approach of applying pressure and tackling, and noting that we are 2 games clear at the top of the ladder, rather than middle of the road, I can think differently.

I'm not saying that we waltz in and win the flag, but I do believe that it will be a different team in the finals, as it has been in the H&A

100% correct. We've no reason to believe our finals campaign this year (if we make it) will be any different to years gone by. This season could be one that changes the tide. I hope so, but when was the last time we played three huge finals-pressure games in a row and came out on top every time? We've only done that once under Scott, and in his first year when a very seasoned and professional team were essentially coaching themselves. Scott didn't earn that premiership. If we somehow win this year, it will be 100% earned.
That's very generous of you conceding that.
Especially since you believe he did nothing in 2011.
We have plenty of reason to believe our finals campaign will be different.
Different team. Different game plan. Players prepared to play their role.
If you can't see something different about Geelong this year, you need to look harder.

100% correct. We've no reason to believe our finals campaign this year (if we make it) will be any different to years gone by. This season could be one that changes the tide. I hope so, but when was the last time we played three huge finals-pressure games in a row and came out on top every time? We've only done that once under Scott, and in his first year when a very seasoned and professional team were essentially coaching themselves. Scott didn't earn that premiership. If we somehow win this year, it will be 100% earned.
Oh we will make it needing to win only 3 games out of 11 we are in

If you can't see something different about Geelong this year, you need to look harder.

I agree to an extent. Some things are different, some are not though. I think you've missed the point.

but when was the last time we played three huge finals-pressure games in a row and came out on top every time?

This is the key statement right here. I hinted at the same, if the team can't get this right, forget it. Everything else throughout the year just got you the opportunity to play in finals. Hell bent intent, desire, relentless effort and gut running... these are the variables you need on your side once the best go at it.

The team is better in 2019, sure. Just how bad do they want the Premiership though? Yes, they all say it's all they play for, but we all see players / teams not walking the talk every finals series. We'll find out. I know I won't be disappointing if they fail though, as it won't surprise me.

That's very generous of you conceding that.
Especially since you believe he did nothing in 2011.
We have plenty of reason to believe our finals campaign will be different.
Different team. Different game plan. Players prepared to play their role.

Don't think I'm all doom and gloom - I'm not a Chris Scott hater like many on this board. I was simply making the point that the 2011 flag didn't belong to Scott in the same way that 2017 belonged to Damian Hardwick, for instance. There are asymmetries between both campaigns, and those are obvious.
Also, I should concede that yes, Geelong do seem different this year. As different as they've seemed in a long time. I'm just not expecting success off the back of a solid start to the year. Not yet - we are yet to prove ourselves in September for the better part of a decade. I'm hopeful, and excited. I'm just not counting any chickens yet.
There are a few things that worry me about our team - many of our best players are getting old. Will Selwood, Danger and Ablett be able to fully hold up under a month of brutal finals footy? Maybe.
Also, the youngsters are playing well, but will they be able to stay the course and not get lost in the headlights when September pressure grabs them by the throat in the clinches? Maybe.
Lots of unknowns. But I'm still hopeful that this might be the year we turn our finals around.

Don't think I'm all doom and gloom - I'm not a Chris Scott hater like many on this board. I was simply making the point that the 2011 flag didn't belong to Scott in the same way that 2017 belonged to Damian Hardwick, for instance. There are asymmetries between both campaigns, and those are obvious.
Also, I should concede that yes, Geelong do seem different this year. As different as they've seemed in a long time. I'm just not expecting success off the back of a solid start to the year. Not yet - we are yet to prove ourselves in September for the better part of a decade. I'm hopeful, and excited. I'm just not counting any chickens yet.
There are a few things that worry me about our team - many of our best players are getting old. Will Selwood, Danger and Ablett be able to fully hold up under a month of brutal finals footy? Maybe.
Also, the youngsters are playing well, but will they be able to stay the course and not get lost in the headlights when September pressure grabs them by the throat in the clinches? Maybe.
Lots of unknowns. But I'm still hopeful that this might be the year we turn our finals around.
It's not Scott's fault that Hardwick couldn't win a flag in his first year.;)
Seriously though, we all harbour doubts, and those doubts won't be shaken until the final, final siren.
So I'm with you about not counting chickens.
I just don't get the dismissal of Scott's part in 2011.
No team has ever coached itself. Ever.

This is the key statement right here. I hinted at the same, if the team can't get this right, forget it.
given that the team is quite clearly different, and playing a different brand of footy to last year, then the expectation should be that the finals will be approached ion a different manner.

To just say that a restructured team and manner of playing hasn't proven anything in finals, when obviously they haven't played finals, is taking the piss out of "glass half empty".

Not to mention one of the best big moment players anyone has ever seen. The amount of times he has delivered when it counts and when we are in big trouble is ridiculous. I remember last year Mike Sheehan said because he is so so good at everything and not outstanding at 1 aspect we take for granted how good he has been for so long. He went as far as to say that he was the best player of the decade from 08 to 18 and its hard to argue against that.

In fact let me continue this rant. IT IS AN ABSOLUTE ******* DISGRACE THAT ANYONE ON THIS BOARD AND ANYONE WHO SUPPORTS THE CATS EVER HAS ANYTHING NEGATIVE TO SAY ABOUT HIM. He is beyond reproach. He could stink it up for 3 years and I would still love everything about him. Talk about someone who has credits in the bank. He is an all-time legend so SHUT UP UNLESS IT IS POSITIVE. P Bateman obviously exempt because he doesn't know what positive means!
This x 10000000000000000000000000

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lot of people in the media have talked Geelong up during the H&A over the last several years, only to wind up getting burned come finals time. Few will want to make similar lofty claims again.

The bookmakers have it about right, Geelong favorites at $3.50. Even still, with five teams in it, the chances of someone else winning it, is still much higher than Geelong winning it.

Geelong have done everything right so far, but they don’t award Premierships in June, so there is really not much more to be said if you are going to judge them on something 3 months in the future.

No team has ever coached itself. Ever.

The achievement of the GFC in 2011 was well beyond that, though.

Not only did they 'coach themselves'. They also reversed a trend that had seen them 81 points behind the 2010 premier during the third quarter of that year's PF.

The very same team they then beat comfortably on GF Day 2011.

And all this after losing the best player of his generation to another club before their 2011 premiership season even began.

So, as anyone can clearly see, the 2011 effort of the Cats players to coach themselves to premiership glory against all the odds is surely unprecedented in the history of world sport.

Just leaves you staggered, really. How lucky are we?

:cool:

Last edited:
Geelong have done everything right so far, but they don’t award Premierships in June, so there is really not much more to be said if you are going to judge them on something 3 months in the future.
agreed , but they have been doing it better than the other 17 teams

So do I.

Finals is a different scenario, especially these days, which is why NONE of the recent premiership winners have gone in as favourties. You need to be playing relentless football, running hard, contesting hard, going when it's your turn every time, etc. Structures that won you through mean nothing if the side doesn't work harder than their opponent - fact. The Tigers found this out the hard way last year when Collingwood pulled their pants down, a Prelim they assumed was a win. Nope, a season of dominance down the toilet. The Dogs did it to everyone in 2016, the Tigers did it to everyone in 2017.

Look at Melbourne. Gone from world beaters to a side looking at benching senior players in favour of youth 8 months later..? It's the same team! The only thing that's changed since last year is their attitude. They're an arrogant group IMO, a group who thought success was imminent after last year. Fail.

Until I see different, I'm assuming we'll struggle in finals. I don't see how anyone could think different. If Collingwood get to the Grand Final this year (likely), beating them at the MCG will be exceptionally difficult for anyone.

Yep Pies are my pick atm. If they do make the GF will be damn tough to beat- teams don’t lose consecutive GF’s very often at all. Would rather play them in a prelim. Note - something about GWS has me fearful also.

The achievement of the GFC in 2011 was well beyond that, though.

Not only did they 'coach themselves'. They also reversed a trend that had seen them 81 points behind the 2010 premier during the third quarter of that year's PF.

The very same team they then beat comfortably on GF Day 2011.

And all this after losing the best player of his generation to another club before their 2011 premiership season even began.

So, as anyone can clearly see, the 2011 effort of the Cats players to coach themselves to premiership glory against all the odds is surely unprecedented in the history of world sport.

Just leaves you staggered, really. How lucky are we?

:cool:
A like as I assume that is quite burlesque.:think:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back