Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

He obviously sees it through his rose coloured glasses.

SOS has done a shocking job with this list. He’s hit on a few high draft picks and basically nothing else. Picked up absolute dud DFA’s, made the worst trade in AFL history and whiffed on every draft pick outside the top 30 every year.

Move him on.
Your telling me this as if i hadn't heard it before, give me something original. PS Maybe you've been here before.

SOS has done a shocking job with this list. He’s hit on a few high draft picks and basically nothing else. Picked up absolute dud DFA’s, made the worst trade in AFL history and whiffed on every draft pick outside the top 30 every year.

Move him on.

Who's the list manager at your club?

Move him on.
I have a lot of concerns about our list but even if SOS fails, I won't begrudge the strategy he adopted.

Our focus on GWS players was a fortuitous strategy to add quality and depth within the constraints of the options afforded bottom clubs to rebuild.

When you consider even by the third draft round the strike rate is reduced dramatically, it's such a hard task to make up ground with two good picks per year, when even the best clubs are holding two decent picks themselves. Add to that the lower clubs have both less talent to trade and less talent they can afford to lose, and finally the bankable salary that is meant to assist lower clubs in attracting FAs is an meager 5 percent, so in reality it's just a further barrier.

Even the likes of Melbourne, Bulldogs etc. who have enjoyed some success haven't been able to sustain it. It's near an impossible task to make up soo much ground within the current system. It won't be overhauled until a club like Sydney get stuck at the bottom.

Coming back to the GWS players, it was never meant to have a high strike rate but it was a cheap avenue to pick up some players, which is what we've done. He's also put together possibly the best young group of KPPs in the league, which is amazing really when clubs can struggle to add one decent KPF or KPD for years - Setanta and Casboult anyone? That was always going to be the biggest challenge so our success here gives me hope.

We need more mids and small forwards to start with, but adding even just one quality of each will change our list dramatically. Papley and let's say Cunnington flips our list on its head. We have quality in the midfield, but we need another star.

As I opened with I have concerns no doubt, and sure having a 100% strike rate would have helped fast track our progress but all considered, I can understand SOSs strategy, actually I applaud it, and in terms of execution he has done well.

What does his av have to do with anything? He made legitimate points that you dismiss immediately because you don’t agree.

Isn't that what you did immediately prior to that with Soapy?

Posters who start in the fashion you did, by calling out posters by name, don't generally get the benefit of the doubt.

If you think you are here to run roughshod over the locals, then think again.

Constructive discussion is the name of the game. This isn't Facebook.

Isn't that what you did immediately prior to that with Soapy?

Posters who start in the fashion you did, by calling out posters by name, don't generally get the benefit of the doubt.

If you think you are here to run roughshod over the locals, then think again.

Constructive discussion is the name of the game. This isn't Facebook.

Take the blinkers off mate

Move him on.

Move him on.

Nope. Not even close!

Easy to pot list selections in hindsight.

Before criticising it would be better to propose an alternative that isn't blessed with hindsight. It takes no brain power to say picking up <insert name> here was a bad decision, unless you know what other options were available at that time.

Given the lack of assets we had, SOS has done an amazing job imho.

The interesting part for me is whether we attain a coach that works with the list, or another one that wants his list moulded to his vision?

Given the platform we're launching from, it's hard to see us taking on any coach that isn't happy with what he has to work with and by happy, I mean where he/she can tick off what's there and allow SOS to keep topping up. It's not Boltons list any more. It's SOS's now and he has to wear it, even if he did 'bend' towards Boltons wish list.

I still see the base being good and supporting that, is that by far most of these guys will grow and play together, for years to come.
(Murphy & Simpson don't count)

Don't care to again repeat where I have see SOS's failings though, as I may have done so a few hundred times too many already. :)

Before criticising it would be better to propose an alternative that isn't blessed with hindsight. It takes no brain power to say picking up <insert name> here was a bad decision, unless you know what other options were available at that time.

A bit like Cornes saying Carlton should have drafted Rozee instead of Walsh. I love some hindsight drafting, this is without even seeing Rankine play as well.

That is the important point. We were a bit like the new GWS without the extra benefits. We also aren't finished.

No one can judge SOS exactly at the moment but I like the talent he has brought in. That is the hard part.

Key now is to get them fit and have AFL bodies, they need developing properly and over the next 2 years support them with the right players.

People keep commenting like it's over or we can truly assess today. Fair bit to go yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think SOS has done a slightly above average job with the draft, and a significantly below average job with mature age recruiting.

I dare say if he had have done a better job with mature age players Bolts would still be in a job.
The mature players have been disappointing, but we do not know if any 'better' options were available to SOS. We know he chased a few like Shiel, Steele, Mitchell, etc. who rejected us and stayed at their own clubs or choose a club that was (in their eyes) closer to success. Who did SOS reject?

SOS was going full rebuild so we are not the most attractive destination.

Sorry for throwing logic into this, but I doubt houdini could have escaped our fate.

Yeap, not many that went on to be regulars anywhere else (the delisted)
Once you are delisted from a bottom team, very unlikely any team is seriously going to look at you.
I thought a few were unlucky not to be given a longer opportunity. We wasted 9 years on Warnock, and lost Jacobs as a result.

I think SOS has done a slightly above average job with the draft, and a significantly below average job with mature age recruiting.

I dare say if he had have done a better job with mature age players Bolts would still be in a job.

I completely agree. Andrew Phillips, Billie Smedts, Sam Kerridge, Matt Shaw, Alex Silvagni, Aaron Mullett, Matt Kennedy, Lachie Plowman, Jed Lamb, Liam Sumner, Darcy Lang, Matt Lobbe and that isn’t even all of them.

How can you whiff on so many selections?

SOS is stuck in trying to rebuild from the draft like it's the early 2000s. Doesn't work like that got to try and get ahead of the game.

Wells has gone for free agent in Dangerfield and target mature age players in Stewart and Kelly.

What has sos done other than filling up the list with gws off cuts and made Carlton unnattractive to any potential players. Rebuilds on the run work best not loading up and trying to be the next GWS.

Staggered at the level of support for sos on here tbh
... because Wells has a different set of prerogatives, a different list situation/demographic, and the best development setup in the competition bar none. He also has the accompanying advantage of a) a genuine home ground advantage, which isolates the players and indoctrinates them into the way of life down there, and b) still being within 1.5 hours of Melbourne, allowing them to simultaneously behave like an MCG tenant.

Tell me, which of those advantages did SOS have when he began his rebuild, and have we any such advantages now?

I completely agree. Andrew Phillips, Billie Smedts, Sam Kerridge, Matt Shaw, Alex Silvagni, Aaron Mullett, Matt Kennedy, Lachie Plowman, Jed Lamb, Liam Sumner, Darcy Lang, Matt Lobbe and that isn’t even all of them.

How can you whiff on so many selections?
Have a look at every other list in the AFL.

nature of the game is people have changing priorities, lose interest in playing, get injured, get old, demonstrate they lack talent, lose their edge, etc. etc.

Thats a leading question and I bet you know what will likely happen. Maybe start bunfights on your own board.
Just a thought.

Or perhaps it might add a level of accountability for those that argue everything is fine and label those suggesting otherwise as haters of the club?

My personal view is if this Club is not playing finals or very close by 2022 there must be massive change.

Move him on.

Really?

In 2015 he nailed his first three picks - Weiters, McKay and Curnow. Both Cunners and SOS junior look promising.

2016 - needs more time to tell. SPS won't be a bust but may not be a star. Fisher was a great pick for in the 20s. Anything beyond that is too early to tell.

He has struggled with mature age picks and DFAs but low price was paid. Walsh also looks like the right pick and whilst I don't support the trade, Stocker looks good. His only high draft pick that is a definite miss IMO is LOB (and that can still be turned around).

You are going way too early buddy.

Another new account with a number and repetetive attacks on people..same old

Please explain? I hope this isn’t directed at me.

I gave a list of players that SOS has recruited who are rubbish. Even the trade of MM was no good. Could have found 2 more Cunningham’s with those picks (SOS’s best work).

Really?

In 2015 he nailed his first three picks - Weiters, McKay and Curnow. Both Cunners and SOS junior look promising.

2016 - needs more time to tell. SPS won't be a bust but may not be a star. Fisher was a great pick for in the 20s. Anything beyond that is too early to tell.

He has struggled with mature age picks and DFAs but low price was paid. Walsh also looks like the right pick and whilst I don't support the trade, Stocker looks good. His only high draft pick that is a definite miss IMO is LOB (and that can still be turned around).

You are going way too early buddy.

The kids you’ve named are all really promising. LOB, Pet-Set, Fish will all play roles. Anyone can hit an early draft pick which I have no doubt SOS has done well. It’s the later rounds and free agency that SOS gets a huge fail for.

It’s been clear for a few years Cripps needs midfield help, bigger more mature bodies. Instead we have the smallest midfield of all time.

Please explain? I hope this isn’t directed at me.

I gave a list of players that SOS has recruited who are rubbish. Even the trade of MM was no good. Could have found 2 more Cunningham’s with those picks (SOS’s best work).
What's Cuningham done on a footy field to convince you of that, BTW?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back