Discussion Coping with “Sainthood”

Remove this Banner Ad

JiggsteR45

All Australian
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Having been a Saints follower from 1990 (when our family arrived in Melbourne) and a paid-up member from 2000, I’ve experienced the whole “emotional smorgasboard” that comes with becoming a Sainter ️. Season 2018 provided me with SO many “low points” I wouldn’t know WHERE to start listing them 🥴 at the final game of the “season from hell” ..... another insipid loss to “mighty”(?) North Melbourne, I felt as bad as it was possible to feel, and felt little motivation to renew membership.

I’ve obviously, renewed my membership ️ but took a long time thinking about why I’d continue to pay for the privilege of being let down so often. During the weeks of the off season I came to realise that instead of simply wanting to barrack for my team each week at the footy, and taking it a game at a time, I’d become SO hung up on results and playing in finals........and couldn’t cope with losses.

I’ve now come to terms with the sad truth that at age 74 I will not see the Saints win a flag. At first it was quite devastating to confront such a truth. The temptation was to say “Why bother”? and give it away.....but then I really LOVE footy, and I really LOVE my Saints! So before season 2019 began, I dispensed with all the “expectations” all the “hoop la” and rhetoric, all the unrealistic hopes, and instead replaced them with simply fronting up at every game to watch MY team play footy..... and let the results take care of themselves.

Taking it “one game at a time” has helped me to cope with the bad results.... and to enjoy the good results. The China game was appalling in every conceivable way, however, I’m now over it, and looking forward to our next game V Gold Coast.

I realise it doesn’t work for everyone...... just helps an old fart like me, in coping with this addiction called the St Kilda Footy Club!

Go Saints!!!!! ( to hell with the rest )

Last edited:
Having been a Saints follower from 1990 (when our family arrived in Melbourne) and a paid-up member from 2000, I’ve experienced the whole “emotional smorgasboard” that comes with becoming a Sainter ️. Season 2018 provided me with SO many “low points” I wouldn’t know WHERE to start listing them 🥴 at the final game of the “season from hell” ..... another insipid loss to “mighty”(?) North Melbourne, I felt as bad as it was possible to feel, and felt little motivation to renew membership.

I’ve obviously, renewed my membership ️ but took a long time thinking about why I’d continue to pay for the privilege of being let down so often. During the weeks of the off season I came to realise that instead of simply wanting to barrack for my team each week at the footy, and taking it a game at a time, I’d become SO hung up on results and playing in finals........and couldn’t cope with losses.

I’ve now come to terms with the sad truth that at age 74 I will not see the Saints win a flag. At first it was quite devastating to confront such a truth. The temptation was to say “Why bother”? and give it away.....but then I really LOVE footy, and I really LOVE my Saints! So before season 2019 began, I dispensed with all the “expectations” all the “hoop la” and rhetoric, all the unrealistic hopes, and instead replaced them with simply fronting up at every game to watch MY team play footy..... and let the results take care of themselves.

Taking it “one game at a time” has helped me to cope with the bad results.... and to enjoy the good results. The China game was appalling in every conceivable way, however, I’m now over it, and looking forward to our next game V Gold Coast.

I realise it doesn’t work for everyone...... just helps an old fart like me, in coping with this addiction called the St Kilda Footy Club!

74? You’ve got at least 30 years in you left! I’m sure we’ll make a GF in that time, although if we have another 09/10 result, you have permission to euthanise...

74? You’ve got at least 30 years in you left! I’m sure we’ll make a GF in that time, although if we have another 09/10 result, you have permission to euthanise...

GOLD! Nice one mate. The blunt truth however is that I’m not going to see the Saints win a premiership. Simple as that. For all the factors in such a win to align : Squad: Coach: Well run Club, it will take (in my humble opinion) at least five - eight years judging from our “progress” since 2011 ( our last finals appearance)
Luckily (for me) I’m not driven by results.

i'm mostly frustrated these days. not really for me, i'm young, so chances are i'll see us get there. i'm more angry for those who won't get too.

i've gone from blind optimism and aggressively defending everything the club does, to not trusting anything they do.

it's amazing seeing how clubs spin things and how quickly people swallow it up. for example the essendope saga. if that was my club i'd be calling out their bullshit. sadly people drink it all up.

i'm mostly frustrated these days. not really for me, i'm young, so chances are i'll see us get there. i'm more angry for those who won't get too.

i've gone from blind optimism and aggressively defending everything the club does, to not trusting anything they do.

it's amazing seeing how clubs spin things and how quickly people swallow it up. for example the essendope saga. if that was my club i'd be calling out their ********. sadly people drink it all up.

I’d say that somewhere between “Blind optimism” and “Blind pessimism” lies the answer to following any club mate! ( the challenge of course is to find it!)

GOLD! Nice one mate. The blunt truth however is that I’m not going to see the Saints win a premiership. Simple as that. For all the factors in such a win to align : Squad: Coach: Well run Club, it will take (in my humble opinion) at least five - eight years judging from our “progress” since 2011 ( our last finals appearance)
Luckily (for me) I’m not driven by results.
5 years ago 74 year wb supporters would have thought exactly the same. It can turn very quickly.

For my own mental health and wellbeing I decided to make this year ground zero on all aspects of the club. Admin, recruiting, development, coaching etc etc. So many mistakes before this year. And hopefully the new people, new purpose, back to Moorabbin, and new recruits will see us on an upward path.

Despite last weekend's result, this year has been better. If we can get a few of our top players back in the latter half of the year, the upward path will continue.

We have made poor decisions, and have had some appalling luck. Hopefully from here we have better decisions and make our own luck. Plenty of time Jiggster!

5 years ago 74 year wb supporters would have thought exactly the same. It can turn very quickly.

The list, the coach, the recruitment, and freedom from MAJOR injuries to key players over that five year period played a significant role in the doggies winning that flag. To compare our current list, our coach, and recruiters to the bulldogs’ of that five year period leaves us wanting ....... in my humble opinion

The list, the coach, the recruitment, and freedom from MAJOR injuries to key players over that five year period played a significant role in the doggies winning that flag. To compare our current list, our coach, and recruiters to the bulldogs’ of that five year period leaves us wanting ....... in my humble opinion
I don’t many wb supporters would agree with that. Before bevo took over they were going much worse than we are this year.

For my own mental health and wellbeing I decided to make this year ground zero on all aspects of the club. Admin, recruiting, development, coaching etc etc. So many mistakes before this year. And hopefully the new people, new purpose, back to Moorabbin, and new recruits will see us on an upward path.

Despite last weekend's result, this year has been better. If we can get a few of our top players back in the latter half of the year, the upward path will continue.

We have made poor decisions, and have had some appalling luck. Hopefully from here we have better decisions and make our own luck. Plenty of time Jiggster!

I agree with the general direction of your post colleague. However, I’ll “agree to disagree” with your “plenty of time” remark mate. A flag winning squad isn’t assembled that quickly, and if current recruitment is anything to go by ( a 28 year old, injury plagued veteran) I’ll stick with my original thoughts...... I won’t see a flag in my lifetime. Will it stop me giving 1000% support? NO way!!!!!

Let’s face it..... the doggies finished 7th and had a dream run in the finals ( good on them too!) they have done not a lot since those heady days of September 2017
Yep but they won. I’ve followed the saints since around 1968 and whilst I haven’t seen a flag I have seen them go up and down the ladder very quickly. Just because we are struggling now it has no bearing in 3 years. We could be worse or a hell of a lot better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep but they won. I’ve followed the saints since around 1968 and whilst I haven’t seen a flag I have seen them go up and down the ladder very quickly. Just because we are struggling now it has no bearing in 3 years. We could be worse or a hell of a lot better.

I love your optimism mate I prefer to be realistic. ( regarding winning the flag )

Ive been through the same sort of thing as you . I was born in 1964 into a Saints mad family apart from my mom who is Carlton . Anyway i was too young to know anything about the 66 grand final of course . But there have been periods when i really thought we were going to win . Like everyone else i thought we would beat Adelaide in the GF , then so close against Geelong and Collingwood . Only for us to fall in a heap as usual . I also made the decision not to worry about winning a flag but just to enjoy each week supporting the Saints even if we lost . So last week against Port was disappointing but once the game was over i looked at our young team and was excitied for the future again . Going forward this group of players might not win a flag but its fun supporting them and being hopeful .
Just look at our young team and then add Max King and maybe Bytel and who knows who we will draft this year . Plus it means our young players will have more experience and who knows what can happen .
Im not putting pressure on King to be our saviour , i just hope he turns out to be a good player for us , you cant ask for more than that .

Yes we might not live to see another flag but we will see some good wins which really is what we watch the footy for each week . Its a bonus if we make the finals .

I think Saints fans have a stronger bond between each other because of what we have been through , way more than any other club in the AFL . This is why being on big footy saints forum is so much fun in my opinion .

Go Saints .

Don’t Panic !!

No one has ever accused of optimism. It’s fact you can move up and down quickly. If you are in it you can win it

Fair comment. Absolutely no argument from me on your valid points. However, given our history, and given our current state of play I would respectfully suggest that we’re several (2-3) years away from playing finals..... let alone winning the damn thing. I hasten to add that I’d LOVE to be proved wrong. Just can’t see it happening in the years I have left. It is what it is, I’ve come to terms with it and love my club as much as ever.

Ive been through the same sort of thing as you . I was born in 1964 into a Saints mad family apart from my mom who is Carlton . Anyway i was too young to know anything about the 66 grand final of course . But there have been periods when i really thought we were going to win . Like everyone else i thought we would beat Adelaide in the GF , then so close against Geelong and Collingwood . Only for us to fall in a heap as usual . I also made the decision not to worry about winning a flag but just to enjoy each week supporting the Saints even if we lost . So last week against Port was disappointing but once the game was over i looked at our young team and was excitied for the future again . Going forward this group of players might not win a flag but its fun supporting them and being hopeful .
Just look at our young team and then add Max King and maybe Bytel and who knows who we will draft this year . Plus it means our young players will have more experience and who knows what can happen .
Im not putting pressure on King to be our saviour , i just hope he turns out to be a good player for us , you cant ask for more than that .

Yes we might not live to see another flag but we will see some good wins which really is what we watch the footy for each week . Its a bonus if we make the finals .

I think Saints fans have a stronger bond between each other because of what we have been through , way more than any other club in the AFL . This is why being on big footy saints forum is so much fun in my opinion .

Go Saints .

Don’t Panic !!

Couldn’t have articulated it any better myself mate! Sums up being a Sainter!

Last edited:
Fair comment. Absolutely no argument from me on your valid points. However, given our history, and given our current state of play I would respectfully suggest that we’re several (2-3) years away from playing finals..... let alone winning the damn thing. I hasten to add that I’d LOVE to be proved wrong. Just can’t see it happening in the years I have left. It is what it is, I’ve come to terms with it and love my club as much as ever.
If as many claim that richo is a terrible coach then surely if he replaced we are just certain of playing finals next year. I also love the club but luckily follow my local club who did win the flag last year. That helps.

If as many claim that richo is a terrible coach then surely if he replaced we are just certain of playing finals next year. I also love the club but luckily follow my local club who did win the flag last year. That helps.

luckily I follow Melbourne Victory and have seen a few premierships!

I reflected on this a while back. I attended the 66 Grand Final (lucky for me) a few days shy of my 10th birthday. Go back to 1913 when the rules stopped us winning our first flag. If you attended those games as a 10 year old.....guess what? You would have been about my age now at the 66 GF. There must have been some older people there that great day in 1966 that had been spectators in 1913. Hope you are all still with me!!:D

Anyway....all is still possible. No wonder old people were crying in 66 when we won. They had waited a long time for the 1913 revenge. Must have been sweet. I was young and thought it was going to happen every year!

I look forward to all that crying again....and you will enjoy it Jiggster....even through those tears.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back