Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside midfielder

I'll say until all you campaigners agree with me

All that sideways movement is wasted by sticking him on a forward flank. Watch a contest in the second quarter last night where he ******* materialises through a pack. The kid is absolute smoke in congestion

I'll cop to being wrong. I thought his size would really be an issue for him there, but he just zips around and then sidesteps through the pack so quickly and cleanly.

Interestingly he didn't attend a single centre bounce and spent 86 per cent of his game time in attack, according to McGowans article

He got to plenty of stoppages (4).

Most likely due to LDU getting exposure.

He got to plenty of stoppages (4).

Most likely due to LDU getting exposure.

I'll have to take a look at the footage but it seems Shaw moved our defensive spare and a forward player (Simpkin) up to the stoppage to manhandle them in the clinches?

If true, simple but effective. North hard nuts + extra number or two at the stoppage = very difficult to lose the contest.

I'll have to take a look at the footage but it seems Shaw moved our defensive spare and a forward player (Simpkin) up to the stoppage to manhandle them in the clinches?

If true, simple but effective. North hard nuts + extra number or two at the stoppage = very difficult to lose the contest.
Similar formula that was working for us last year. Then we added players and changed to the worst possible game plan for our players. Gotta wonder if Brad was trying to get sacked.

If true, simple but effective.

I take it that'll be Rhyce's approach this year, taking an incredibly complicated game style that relied on Bulldogs 2016 type precision handballing and defensive stoppages and simplified it so the players understand; which is all you need.

What he did on Friday was simple, kick up the line, kick often, and handball only to a moving advantage and get numbers to a contest with frenetic pressure tackling.

And that credit should also go to our coaching staff, it was clear from the outset that drastic yet simple change had to happen and that was flip the script on what Brad was doing, and just play to our strengths, something that I felt Brad never did once this year. It was more just alot of experiment.

I'd have Jy coming off the back of every stoppage that is forward of the defensive 50 arc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look if we take a dungeons and dragons take on our team, Simpkin is the double dagger wielding rogue who moves around with finesse stabbing at the critical areas of anyone who he comes across where Ziebell is the warhammer wielding heavy assault unit who will ensure someone gets hurt every time there is a contest.

Alright everyone has put in their player comparisons so I guess it’s my turn. He’ll do it with different style but I think he’s a Robbie Grey type. Half forward/mid with plenty of tricks. He’ll hurt teams in bursts in the midfield and forward.
I made the exact same comparison back on page 71. Has the same build & movement as Grey. Hopefully he will turn out as good as Grey, who is a star, when he can stay injury free...
Loved Jy’s form since coming back into the team. Looks a lot stronger & faster this year.

I made the exact same comparison back on page 71. Has the same build & movement as Grey. Hopefully he will turn out as good as Grey, who is a star, when he can stay injury free...
Loved Jy’s form since coming back into the team. Looks a lot stronger & faster this year.

Well I dips my lid to you sir

Look if we take a dungeons and dragons take on our team, Simpkin is the double dagger wielding rogue who moves around with finesse stabbing at the critical areas of anyone who he comes across where Ziebell is the warhammer wielding heavy assault unit who will ensure someone gets hurt every time there is a contest.

Not gonna lie, when he was struggling to get a touch i was thinking Brad was going to kill his career by preserving with him in his current role. I thought he would be better off as a small forward. Maybe I was scared from the Harper experience.

Very excited and relieved now that he’s finding the ball.

Jeez he's been good the last few weeks. Love that he's finding the ball more because when he finds it in tight things happen. He's a lot like Cunners in that respect.

The only issue I think he has is a real lack of kicking penetration. I suspect his broken leg has significantly contributed to this. It's not a huge issue, but is an issue nonetheless.

I have never really understood why arriving at a positive analysis seems to facilitate negative supernatural forces.

Mis-understanding rationality is the main intellectual failing of the post ww2 generation.:p

The more emotionally attached you are to an outcome the less its likely to happen if you bang on about it all the time. #footygods

When I am referring to "Judd-like" I mean it in the sense that he's not far off consistently breaking from congestion and setting up attacking plays.

I think so too and I've heard scottywiper mention something similar. Especially since he's been back from the VFL this year. He has the ability to generate space and time (its actually a continuum called spacetime but thats for a physics board) and the vision to take advantage of it.

twas tongue in cheek. But you are right he just seemed to float through the congestion. Not as quick as Judd though

Judd was smart and a champion track and field athlete (like Danger, who was actually a state champ sprinter and 400 runner.) Jy doesn't have that blistering pace but he does have the ability to get space around himself and he's not as slow as I thought he was. His lateral movement helps I spose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back