AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
Is the a free version of this article?

The Score: AFL to invest six-figure sum as search for new logo begins
JUNE 05, 2019
Get ready for a new look. Picture: AAP Images

One of the last bastions of tradition at the AFL is set for a makeover.

The league’s logo which has been around since the turn of the century is undergoing a facelift.

A team of designers have been engaged by the AFL to come up with ideas on how to modernise the logo.

And as we know with these sorts of consulting arrangements they don’t come cheap with industry sources suggesting it would cost a tidy six-figure sum.

The theory behind the move is that given how much the business has grown over the past two decades, the logo should also move with the times.

It’s believed one of the main options being considered is to have the ability to add flexibility to the logo so the colours can be changed according to the circumstances.

For example with the league now having competitions such as AFLW and AFLX, a logo could be designed to represent these modern additions.

e80ecfaa329d2e6d79e7cffd54216c0b

Changing logos can be dangerous territory with several clubs over the journey dipping their toes into the modern age and getting torched.

The NRL introduced a new logo for this season after a two-year extensive research and consultation process which included engaging key stakeholders, fans, clubs and the media.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
The Score: AFL to invest six-figure sum as search for new logo begins
JUNE 05, 2019

One of the last bastions of tradition at the AFL is set for a makeover.

The league’s logo which has been around since the turn of the century is undergoing a facelift.

A team of designers have been engaged by the AFL to come up with ideas on how to modernise the logo.

And as we know with these sorts of consulting arrangements they don’t come cheap with industry sources suggesting it would cost a tidy six-figure sum.

The theory behind the move is that given how much the business has grown over the past two decades, the logo should also move with the times.

It’s believed one of the main options being considered is to have the ability to add flexibility to the logo so the colours can be changed according to the circumstances.

For example with the league now having competitions such as AFLW and AFLX, a logo could be designed to represent these modern additions.

e80ecfaa329d2e6d79e7cffd54216c0b

Changing logos can be dangerous territory with several clubs over the journey dipping their toes into the modern age and getting torched.

The NRL introduced a new logo for this season after a two-year extensive research and consultation process which included engaging key stakeholders, fans, clubs and the media.

Great news, while I like the current logo and it's very sentimental for me given I've grown up with it, it's due for an update. I'm hoping that the colours will be changed to suit each teams jumper, the same way they are on NRL jerseys

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 10.15.21 pm.png

Even if the update is as simple as a minor change to the shape of the logo and a font change so it fits within the circle and can be used as an outline (or as a clearer outline that it is now), it would be great

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Desperately needed! The current one is so outdated. Something minimalist incoming to keep up with the trends I would suggest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Desperately needed! The current one is so outdated. Something minimalist incoming to keep up with the trends I would suggest.

Minimalism has been popular for a fair few years now. If you chase current trends you end up becoming outdated pretty quickly.

The current logo is actually doing a fine job.

People forget that it had initially had a silver gradient style oval rather than white, and darker red depth lines on the inner oval, but this was only used online and in some print formats but not on the guernseys or playing fields.

After a couple of years the more complicated version of the logo was turfed.

Oct 5, 2007
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
I generally despise all things AFL HQ but the current logo does the job well, looks brilliant on guernseys and that’s my main consideration. Can’t shake the feeling that they will balls this up and we we will end up with something that doesn’t fit.

And lol at having something that can incorporate AFLX. Just * that s**t off now.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Minimalism has been popular for a fair few years now. If you chase current trends you end up becoming outdated pretty quickly.

The current logo is actually doing a fine job.

People forget that it had initially had a silver gradient style oval rather than white, and darker red depth lines on the inner oval, but this was only used online and in some print formats but not on the guernseys or playing fields.

After a couple of years the more complicated version of the logo was turfed.

Minimalism has a more timeless quality IMO. The current logo LOOKS like something from the late 90's/early 2000's (which it is), which was an era of soul patches, frosted tips, baggy pants and other embarrassingly dated trends.

I generally despise all things AFL HQ but the current logo does the job well, looks brilliant on guernseys and that’s my main consideration. Can’t shake the feeling that they will balls this up and we we will end up with something that doesn’t fit.

And lol at having something that can incorporate AFLX. Just **** that **** off now.
It’ll probably be something where they can make a standardised branding for the season, finals, Grand Final, etc. and then they can make an AFLX logo as well.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s

And lol at having something that can incorporate AFLX. Just **** that **** off now.
Ballsing it up is about as likely as the sun coming up in the morning, in the East.

demon_spud

Senior List
Mar 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Wolverhampton
Anyone know the link to the logo patent site?
I remember when the doggies rebranded theirs it was already patented a year before release.

And it was shared here.

This could already be done.

Ed note: will search later when on a pc later as I know this forum has a search function...

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
It could be all this work for just bolder colours or little change like updating the font?

I love the current logo and would hate for it to change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back