No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
It was Bucks who kept pushing Mick away. He wouldn't let him be in the coaches box with him, or even on the bench. Isolated him completely.
I know this for a fact.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Can you explain how an assistant coach, pushes the senior coach out of the box? Sounds pretty far fetched.

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
As director of coaching Mick wanted to be involved more (ie coaches box and bench on game day), however Buckley wouldn't allow it which is why he never stuck around to fulfill the role.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
As director of coaching Mick wanted to be involved more (ie coaches box and bench on game day), however Buckley wouldn't allow it which is why he never stuck around to fulfill the role.

So basically, MM wanted to still be the REAL coach, despite Buckley being officially given the role. It was still Mick's team, and he wasn't ready to let go.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
So basically, MM wanted to still be the REAL coach, despite Buckley being officially given the role. It was still Mick's team, and he wasn't ready to let go.
And it was a team quite capable of winning 2 or 3 premierships, but because of McGuire's fear of losing Buckley to another club he virtually pushed Malthouse out of the door & Collingwood's potential premiership dynasty stopped at one.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Mick's director of coaching role, Bucks didn't want him on bench, in box or talking to coaches directly

Mick never took the director of coaching role, he left straight from being the senior coach.
The statement just doesn’t make any sense.
Mick was the head coach, then left.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

Sorry, the way it was worded made it sound as if it was happening whilst he was in charge.
I don’t see it as a negative on Buckley’s behalf, he had played and been assistant long enough to know what he wanted, and needed to make the team his own.

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Sorry, the way it was worded made it sound as if it was happening whilst he was in charge.
I don’t see it as a negative on Buckley’s behalf, he had played and been assistant long enough to know what he wanted, and needed to make the team his own.
I guess it depends on the way it was done.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

mrjones

All Australian
Nov 27, 2009
South East Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I need enlightenment. Can someone please fill me in with why there is a big deal being made about Adam Goodes being booed a few years ago. There seems to be a focus on racism but I'm struggling to work out how booing a player is racist.
I don't really enjoy hearing a player being booed but how did it get to This.

AFL, clubs unreservedly apologise to Goodes for not 'standing with him'

Can someone fill me in on what i missed?

Attachments

• 1559896362226.png
    1559896362226.png
    703.8 KB · Views: 106

mrjones

All Australian
Nov 27, 2009
South East Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Can you fill me in on what i missed?

Ummm, racism and boneheads!!

Settle down!

Why is booing racist? Or was there a particular incident where it was taken further. I can only recall him being booed, but so do a lot of champion players. that is why I'm asking the question.

If you have something to share, please do as I'm interested, but if you want to be a smart arse don't bother replying.

I need enlightenment. Can someone please fill me in with why there is a big deal being made about Adam Goodes being booed a few years ago. There seems to be a focus on racism but I'm struggling to work out how booing a player is racist.
I don't really enjoy hearing a player being booed but how did it get to This.

AFL, clubs unreservedly apologise to Goodes for not 'standing with him'

Can someone fill me in on what i missed?
Believe he was booed for something like 17 weeks straight after taking a stand against racist taunts from the crowd, IIRC it was the young Pies supporter that got called out and ejected from the game.

As it started in the aftermath of a racist incident, he most likely felt that it was a direct response to him standing up for what he believes in and who he is, therefore it is based on race.

Hope I have got that right.

mrjones

All Australian
Nov 27, 2009
South East Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Believe he was booed for something like 17 weeks straight after taking a stand against racist taunts from the crowd, IIRC it was the young Pies supporter that got called out and ejected from the game.

As it started in the aftermath of a racist incident, he most likely felt that it was a direct response to him standing up for what he believes in and who he is, therefore it is based on race.

Hope I have got that right.
Ok! I didn't recall the booing carrying on from that incident for that long but I suppose we don't hear everything in the coverage. Cheers.

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
Settle down!

Why is booing racist? Or was there a particular incident where it was taken further. I can only recall him being booed, but so do a lot of champion players. that is why I'm asking the question.

If you have something to share, please do as I'm interested, but if you want to be a smart arse don't bother replying.

Don’t think I need to settle down, it was a combination of blatant racism, boneheads and then idiots who were booing because other people were.

From what I’ve heard about the Goodes doco I think it will open a few eyes.

Having said that, I do think he made a major error of judgement in the Carlton game up in Sydney. That was borderline inciteful, and just fuelled it even further when there was starting to get some traction in response to the constant booing.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
I think a contributing factor was when Goodes was honoured as Australian of the Year in 2014 and used the opportunity to raise awareness of the difficulties faced by indigenous people. This was controversial as there were some who perceived that while accepting the honour he was actually slagging off Australia, pointing out how poorly we have treated the indigenous people.
The whole booing thing then gained momentum, and the bigger the issue became and the more the media publicized it and turned it into a scandal, the more the bonehead element in the crowd each week went along with it. (And let's face it, every club has their bonehead contingent.)

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
I think a contributing factor was when Goodes was honoured as Australian of the Year in 2014 and used the opportunity to raise awareness of the difficulties faced by indigenous people. This was controversial as there were some who perceived that while accepting the honour he was actually slagging off Australia, pointing out how poorly we have treated the indigenous people.
The whole booing thing then gained momentum, and the bigger the issue became and the more the media publicized it and turned it into a scandal, the more the bonehead element in the crowd each week went along with it. (And let's face it, every club has their bonehead contingent.)

It didn't help his cause that he was made Australian of the Year to be the face of the 'Recognise' campaign which was always perceived as 'top down' and accordingly died in the arse. A perfect storm.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Interesting that big Gill has said this week, there is no crackdown on fan behaviour. Despite our cheer squad getting a please explain for calling an ump a w***er, a Richmond cheer squad member getting a 3 match ban and one of our supporters getting evicted.

Gill must think supporters are stupid.

Interesting that big Gill has said this week, there is no crackdown on fan behaviour. Despite our cheer squad getting a please explain for calling an ump a ******, a Richmond cheer squad member getting a 3 match ban and one of our supporters getting evicted.

Gill must think supporters are stupid.
The AFP have gone rogue too. No interference or guidance from the department who answers to the Minister. No one knew they were targeting journalists or the National Broadcaster until after it happened.

Bit different to when the press were tipped off about the AFP raid on union offices. Not sure how anyone knew about that if they are so independent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back