Righting the Ship - The Next 5 Games (A.K.A When Naitanui's Willie Returns)

What position on the ladder will we be come the bye?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Its good for the excitement but bad for top 4 prospects. We really need some % boosters as the way this season is panning out it could be the difference.

It worked out well I thought the Bulldogs made us work for it until Wce flipped the switch and went to another level in the 3rd quarter percentage ******* booster..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Based on AFL.com.au's article, we've got the 5th-easiest run home:

Opponent's current ladder position: Number of games left to play
1-4: 1 (Collingwood H)
5-8: 2 (Adelaide H, Richmond A)
9-14: 5 (Essendon H, Hawks A&H, Freo A, North H)
15-18: 3 (Sydney A, Melbourne A, Carlton A)

Despite the evenness of the competition, it offers an excellent opportunity to consolidate top-4. Top-2 is still a possibility.

The bad news is that that Geelong and Collingwood (and to a lesser extent, Brisbane) also have supposedly "easy" runs home.

Last edited:

Based on AFL.com.au's article, we've got the 5th-easiest run home:

Opponent's current ladder position: Number of games left to play
1-4: 1 (Collingwood H)
5-8: 2 (Adelaide H, Richmond A)
9-14: 5 (Essendon H, Hawks A&H, Freo A, North H)
15-18: 3 (Sydney A, Melbourne A, Carlton A)

Despite the evenness of the competition, it offers an excellent opportunity to consolidate top-4. Top-2 is still within reach.

The bad news is that that Geelong and Collingwood (and to a lesser extent, Brisbane) also have supposedly "easy" runs home.
The draw is good for us but the games against 9-14 are all danger games and will determine if we finish top 4 or not.

The bad thing for our percentage is that we play the 3 bottom four sides away from home. Makes it a lot harder to flat track.

The draw is good for us but the games against 9-14 are all danger games and will determine if we finish top 4 or not.

The bad thing for our percentage is that we play the 3 bottom four sides away from home. Makes it a lot harder to flat track.
I agree, but wins are still our primary concern. 5 in a row is good, but we need to take it further. Percentage may come as the season wears on and the younger sides start to tire/pack it in.

I agree, but wins are still our primary concern. 5 in a row is good, but we need to take it further. Percentage may come as the season wears on and the younger sides start to tire/pack it in.
Good point. At least we are getting the weak sides for the away games, improving our chances of winning.

Next 5...

Ess @ Optus
Haw @ MCG
Freo @ Optus
Coll @ Optus
Melb @ Alice Springs

Feels very tough despite talk of us having an easy run home.

We are 8-4 with not the best %

At this early stage my prediction would be 3-2... anything more is great... anything less is horrible.

We arent playing well but getting some results.

If we want to be contenders then we really shpuld be 5-0 from these games.

Nervy times.

Go Eagles

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reckon had we been told we’d be 8-4, after being 3-3 we’d take that, especially with some tricky away games in there. This next block is harder than the last 5 on paper. Even so, reckon we can 4-1 which should set us up nicely.

Stamp some authority on the contested ball, get our runners and distributors into space and finally get something happening on the half forward line. Easier said than done given how teams have slowed us down off the half back line and how our contested ball work has been so poor across the ground.

We should be moving Gaff and Yeo out of stoppages. Bring in Sheed from the cold on a permanent basis and maybe bring M.Allen up from WAFL to replace Yeo inside. Get some run and carry back, start spreading the opposition.

We're so reactive and conservative on the field. We're waiting for the play to happen instead of making it. It's been apparent since the Derby.
Your last paragraph is so on the money! Last year we were proactive in our play, but as you stated since the Derby we have become reactive - it's almost like we have gone into our shell, apart from the occasional quarter or so in each game. Have we played 4 good quarters of football at all this year??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your last paragraph is so on the money! Last year we were proactive in our play, but as you stated since the Derby we have become reactive - it's almost like we have gone into our shell, apart from the occasional quarter or so in each game. Have we played 4 good quarters of football at all this year??

Yes. But not in the same game.

who cares if we play 4 quarters of footy as long as we get the job done?
think back to the GF, we didnt play all that well in the 1st quarter but that turned out ok didnt it?

WTF?

West Coast will likely make the top four due to their "fixture" and "home ground"? We have had a terrible fixture and our away form is about the same as our home form.

I'm guessing he is referring to the remainder of our fixture more than what we've already played. Though Id argue we look okay after the tough draw we've just been through.

Oh wow, that cuts deep to be written off by a guy who by his own admission is too busy to analyse games anymore.

Ryan is a mad Eagles fan. I would trust that he has put the time into his article, albeit he has mentioned elsewhere he is being more concise in his writing due to time constraints.

The numbers aren't revolutionary. It's the same data we were digesting last year about how we play our best football. The conclusion I guess some are drawing is that we've been overachieving this year and keeping ourselves in games with deadly accuracy and efficiency going forward with a small burst of dominance.

What remains to be seen is whether we can do it more frequently and for longer. I'm not sold on us this year but there is no way I'd write us off. We've beaten the odds a lot lately and fought out the ones that matter to be victorious. Plus Nic is such an unknown quantity. The boys were up and about with him in the side in 2018, he could really fire the team up.

That doesn't go against Ryan's findings though. If we continue our form we will make up the numbers. If we can reinvigorate ourselves through the back half of the year we will challenge.

We're a bit like an elsinore 2 stroke motorcycle at the moment, in the powerband we are unstoppable but to stay there is the difficult bit. If we're not in that zone we have no power at all. 10 games to hit our straps or we are just making up the numbers...our best footy is pretty well near the competitions best.

I'm guessing he is referring to the remainder of our fixture more than what we've already played. Though Id argue we look okay after the tough draw we've just been through.

Ryan is a mad Eagles fan. I would trust that he has put the time into his article, albeit he has mentioned elsewhere he is being more concise in his writing due to time constraints.

The numbers aren't revolutionary. It's the same data we were digesting last year about how we play our best football. The conclusion I guess some are drawing is that we've been overachieving this year and keeping ourselves in games with deadly accuracy and efficiency going forward with a small burst of dominance.

What remains to be seen is whether we can do it more frequently and for longer. I'm not sold on us this year but there is no way I'd write us off. We've beaten the odds a lot lately and fought out the ones that matter to be victorious. Plus Nic is such an unknown quantity. The boys were up and about with him in the side in 2018, he could really fire the team up.

That doesn't go against Ryan's findings though. If we continue our form we will make up the numbers. If we can reinvigorate ourselves through the back half of the year we will challenge.
It is a very interesting year - I view GWS and Collingwood as being just as unconvincing as us. Collingwood seems to have escaped a lot of scruitiny but they've also failed to smash weaker sides like Melbourne and Carlton. Either Geelong actually are one step of everyone and will walk through to the flag, or the finals series has a lot of potential for upsets.

As for the article, sides knew by halfway through last year that uncontested marking is our key to winning, so of course they are trying to disrupt it. It is interesting that the author identifies Collingwood as having copied our style but doesn't identify them as having the same so called weakness.

End of the day - it still remains a case of ticking over the wins. If we can finish top 4, with good player availability and good form at the end of the year, anything is possible!

Back