News Simon Black into AFL's Hall of Fame... next year

Just in case anyone missed it:

Brisbane champion Simon Black will be inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame in 2020 after he couldn’t make this year’s function — due to reality TV duties.

AFL chairman Richard Goyder confirmed on Tuesday night that Black was unanimously voted in by the Hall of Fame committee for the class of 2018.

But Black wasn’t able to attend the function due to a “long-standing overseas commitment”, meaning he wasn’t officially inducted on Tuesday night.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/re...y/news-story/6cc68ebf68163f55c77a627c4f4907b6

Something to look forward to this time next year, but IMO they should've inducted him this year (so he's in the Hall) and just done the presentation next year.

Although looking at next year, it's possible he'll be joined by Browny who I reckon has a better case than Barry Hall.

Cox will definitely be a shoe-in at that stage.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I find the Hall of Fame coverage must see viewing; the stories and anecdotes are inspiring and I'm already anticipating's Simon's interview by Gerard (who does an exceptional job as host of the night).

Bulldog Murray's induction was so memorable and I've no doubt Simon's will be too (to go along with Akermanis, Lappin and Voss).

There's also many guys you'd have to think will also be considered such as the likes of Power, Johnson, Lynch, and Brown and possibly to a lesser extent Pike, Leppitsch, White, Ashcroft, Hart, McCrae, Keating and Michael. I dare say the Scott twins will also be considered for their overall contribution to footy as both players and coaches too. I guess if you include all guys that played in 3 premierships, there'll also be many from Hawthorn and Geelong from a similar era, so possibly all of those mentioned won't get in given they tend to spread the amount of inductees across generations and also from administrators and guys that played in the WAFL and SANFL prior to the competition expanding in 1987.

There's also many guys you'd have to think will also be considered such as the likes of Power, Johnson, Lynch, and Brown and possibly to a lesser extent Pike, Leppitsch, White, Ashcroft, Hart, McCrae, Keating and Michael.

Gut feeling is that most, if not all, of these guys (including Power) will probably be missing out - basing my logic solely off most of them having retired for long enough to be eligible and yet there's no indication of their consideration.

Johnson probably should make it because of the way he defined that attacking half-back role but it's not a good sign that he hasn't yet. Brown should make it because there's worse players in the HOF already (plus he's got the public profile, which I think helped the shitter cases too - hi, Barry!). IMO Lynch should have made it, but since he hasn't he probably won't.

Back