Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn’t realise Sanderson was still coaching. Was unlucky to be sacked by Adelaide, but apparently had interpersonal issues with some of the players, and wasn’t well liked.

Roos into Maxwell is an interesting idea.

Didn’t realise Sanderson was still coaching. Was unlucky to be sacked by Adelaide, but apparently had interpersonal issues with some of the players, and wasn’t well liked.

Roos into Maxwell is an interesting idea.
what's the go with Maxwell, his name has come up a couple of times but it looks like he isn't even at a footy club at the moment?

Don’t understand the Clarkson hype. He literally had a perfect storm happen around him to get to the top.
He just copied Bill Belichick and his philosophies without anyone realizing, precision passing and zone defense and turned the game into a non contact crap show to watch.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
one of the more ridiculous things I've ever read

what's the go with Maxwell, his name has come up a couple of times but it looks like he isn't even at a footy club at the moment?

As below. Bringing him in as an assistant with a plan for succession is something with could explore.

If he’s not ready after a few we’ve always got the option of sounding another assistant out or given the senior coach a longer stint.

Why are people dimissing Ratten and Voss because of their previous roles?

If we go down that path, we would not be getting the same person.

Ratten himself has come out and said that he wasn't ready last time he took over.

We would be getting a more experienced, wiser coach who has seen first hand how "the best" has gone about it.

To Continually dismiss them for jobs they did years ago is short sighted in my opinion.

Why are people dimissing Ratten and Voss because of their previous roles?

If we go down that path, we would not be getting the same person.

Ratten himself has come out and said that he wasn't ready last time he took over.

We would be getting a more experienced, wiser coach who has seen first hand how "the best" has gone about it.

To Continually dismiss them for jobs they did years ago is short sighted in my opinion.

My thoughts exactly. The fact that they’ve stayed in the system and Ratten in particular has worked in a very successful environment means they can only be better equipped.

I'm still 100% for Ratten... but if not.. any aspiring coach who in their interview can identify the following:

1. Players can't tackle for poop.... tackling will be worked on ad-nauseum
2. Players skills in particular the inability to handball and hit a friggin target above the knees (excuse Cripps) are pathetic... needs work
3. Murphy if he wants to be in the 22 needs to go when it's his turn, else retire or happily accomodate a trade at a very fair price.
4. Alert all fast food joints not to allow players like Pickett and McGov not to be served and contact should be made to the club immediately on any attempt by them to acquire goods from the premises.
5. Enough of this seagull, karate kid crane pose technique when attempting to corale a player with the ball.... go for the tackle and hit them hard.
6. Kids will have spells in VFL when form warrants it... no more fricken games into so many kids just to hope it does them good.

There's more, but could take the panel a while to comprehend or let sink in the about points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Paul Roos director of coaching role only works for an inexperienced coach (e.g Caracella, Scott Burns, John Blakey etc).

A Brad Scott, Ross Lyon type hire would not meld well with Paul Roos lurking in the background.

I don't know which way we will go: Roos + jnr coach, or ready-made snr coach.

A Paul Roos director of coaching role only works for an inexperienced coach (e.g Caracella, Scott Burns, John Blakey etc).

A Brad Scott, Ross Lyon type hire would not meld well with Paul Roos lurking in the background.

I don't know which way we will go: Roos + jnr coach, or ready-made snr coach.

Personally would prefer the former assuming there's a highly rated assistant coach out there.

Would be OK with Scott.

Honestly do not want Lyon. I know Freo have had some good results this year but just don't think he's a good fit for us. This Freo team isn't actually that young at all, so it's arguably underachieved in recent years. They've also had a number of close wins...they would easily be 4-7 despite having guys like Fyfe, Mundy, Hill and Walters driving things. We would also be his third club and the second time he's jumped ship...

Personally would prefer the former assuming there's a highly rated assistant coach out there.

Would be OK with Scott.

Honestly do not want Lyon. I know Freo have had some good results this year but just don't think he's a good fit for us. This Freo team isn't actually that young at all, so it's arguably underachieved in recent years. They've also had a number of close wins...they would easily be 4-7 despite having guys like Fyfe, Mundy, Hill and Walters driving things. We would also be his third club and the second time he's jumped ship...

Regarding Lyon - I dont have any real evidence to back this up (so i guess means sweet F all) but it just feels like a malthouse hire. There is a weird feeling attached to his name.

Regarding the talk of a senior 'Director of Coaching' role, is this still feasible if Paul Roos is (as I expect) unavailable? Is the senior mentor/more junior coach model contingent on his availability, or is there someone else who could fill this role? If so, who?

I suspect it'd be a tough gig (but not impossible) to bring together a senior and junior pair for this model, and to get the right people in each role that can work and 'fit' together - there are obviously more dynamics to consider with this than in simply appointing a senior coach alone.

There are quite a few options on the junior coach front, but I'm struggling to find too many that could (or are likely to) fill the other slot - be it a director, or an older hand brought in to coach with an explicit view to a succession plan etc.

Paul Roos - Director of Coaching
Blake Caracella - Senior Coach
??? - Forward Coach
Sam Mitchell - Midfield Coach
Justin Longmuir / Matthew Scarlett - Back line Coach
Adam Yze - Opposition Analysis and Strategy Coach
??? X 2 - Development Coach

Draft in Jarryd Roughead as playing coach on the forward line

Draft in Harry Taylor or Nick Smith as playing coach in the back line.

Do the same for the midfield, but I've not had the time to look into who's available or suitable.

Gives us experience and bigger bodies and leadership in one fell swoop. I also believe that all new coaches and players MUST come from perennially successful teams to teach the kids how to win (I. E. Geelong, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Sydney, West Coast).

As much as I love Murphy, Simmo and Kreuz, I fear that they just don't know how to win games.
And you can see this impacting on the kids already this season. Walsh looks like he is starting to lag and Dow has forgotten how to "footy". Winning is a culture and we must chase a candidate who can instil this value and belief. Ratten has been part of that but it has to be the coaching panel which is reviewed as well. Been some nice suggestions on here, I like as Roos/Ratten leadership connection and let Roos find the best assistants around and available. Show the kids how to win, our older players can't.

Personally, i think Roos is just doing what Roos does best.

Self promote.

He continually makes out that he is the man that everyone wants to get. He is an alpha alpha male who others in the AFL alpha circle always want to be onside with. Hence his status is always held up high.

Imo, Ross Lyon already has a better coaching, managing record than Paul Roos. 3(and a half) Grand Finals at powerhouse clubs StKilda and Fremantle and now showing he can come out the other side of a full rebuild....against Roos' 2 Grand Finals at Sydney and a speculative reign at Melbourne.

Imo, Roos is feeding the "i'm the man everyone should want" narrative to further his corporate career in "betterment".

Yes he was a successful coach. But......yeah.

He reminds me a fair bit of my namesake. Been selling his core product(himself) for a longtime.

Personally, i think Roos is just doing what Roos does best.

Self promote.

He continually makes out that he is the man that everyone wants to get. He is an alpha alpha male who others in the AFL alpha circle always want to be onside with. Hence his status is always held up high.

Imo, Ross Lyon already has a better coaching, managing record than Paul Roos. 3(and a half) Grand Finals at powerhouse clubs StKilda and Fremantle and now showing he can come out the other side of a full rebuild....against Roos' 2 Grand Finals at Sydney and a speculative reign at Melbourne.

Imo, Roos is feeding the "i'm the man everyone should want" narrative to further his corporate career in "betterment".

Yes he was a successful coach. But......yeah.

He reminds me a fair bit of my namesake. Been selling his core product(himself) for a longtime.

That’s not an unreasonable assessment of Roos though as a salesman he is on another level to Wallet and does have the score on the board to back it up.
Yes he is an alpha male, and so is Voss.
In footy clubs these guys emerge as leaders who the rest will/like to follow, always has been,always will be.
For a young list making their way in the game, a leadership package of Voss/Roos and Cripps/Docherty would be far more intoxicating than Bolton and Murphy you would think.

That’s not an unreasonable assessment of Roos though as a salesman he is on another level to Wallet and does have the score on the board to back it up.
In footy clubs these guys emerge as leaders who the rest will/like to follow, always has been,always will be.
For a young list making their way in the game, a leadership package of Voss/Roos and Cripps/Docherty would be far more intoxicating than Bolton and Murphy you would think.

I just think with salesmen like Wallace, Roos, Sheedy, Malthouse, Hinkley, Clinton, Blair, Rudd, Trump etc etc it is best to get them in the first half of their career than the second half.

Preservatives don't last forever. The bread eventually tastes stale.

I'm not that keen on being used by Paul Roos.

I don't quite get the whole thing people are saying about Roos selling himself in a negative way, saying that he's full of himself and his selling of himself outweighs his actual value. Have i missed something?

I only really see him on 'On The Couch' and yeah he was saying he'd be open to working with Carlton in a leadership capacity but I don't see that as shameless self promoting...the rest of the panel were asking him directly about being involved with Carlton and he answered it pretty openly...

And i think most of the panel were asking because either there were already 'whispers' about us approaching him or other journalists had said something like 'Carlton should chase Roos'.

His track record is pretty good imo...turned a basketcase Sydney into a team constantly in finals with a strong culture. Melbourne were a continuous joke of a club and i do think he helped them on their path, they were in a prelim last year.

And every time i hear him on 'On The Couch' he seems like a pretty intelligent guy who knows what's required to be a successful club.

Roos is a known quantity, hence the flight to safety in turbulent times such as ours. However i believe he has been employed previously to evolve a team/club culturally. This is not where we are at. We need to football better on game day, the players need the noose loosened slightly when it comes to zones etc.

If he was to be part of a review or coach selection panel I would be happy with that.

I don't quite get the whole thing people are saying about Roos selling himself in a negative way, saying that he's full of himself and his selling of himself outweighs his actual value. Have i missed something?

I only really see him on 'On The Couch' and yeah he was saying he'd be open to working with Carlton in a leadership capacity but I don't see that as shameless self promoting...the rest of the panel were asking him directly about being involved with Carlton and he answered it pretty openly...

And i think most of the panel were asking because either there were already 'whispers' about us approaching him or other journalists had said something like 'Carlton should chase Roos'.

His track record is pretty good imo...turned a basketcase Sydney into a team constantly in finals with a strong culture. Melbourne were a continuous joke of a club and i do think he helped them on their path, they were in a prelim last year.

And every time i hear him on 'On The Couch' he seems like a pretty intelligent guy who knows what's required to be a successful club.

Roos is clever, very clever and does promote his own brand well.
That said, I agree he has the score on the board and has delivered value for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back