TAS Tassie... happening?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why don't we ask North and Carlton supporters that aren't Tasmanian.............would you guys stick phat if your teams merged?

Also, we know that the bloose have a lot of supporters in hibernation so we're talking a possible approx 300k effected if that was to pass, just say 70k do hang around however unlikely HQ won't forgo the other 230k lost from the seats and TV sets.

Whichever you boil it down and dissect it HQ will not merge Vic teams, there's too much revenue at stake to take that risk.
I dont think youre seeing my point, this hypothetical merged vic team wouldn't be the Tassie team, its just to make way for another licences for a stand alone Tassie team. While maintaining quality of player pool and 18 teams.

On SM-G960U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I dont think youre seeing my point, this hypothetical merged vic team wouldn't be the Tassie team, its just to make way for another licences for a stand alone Tassie team. While maintaining quality of player pool and 18 teams.

On SM-G960U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe read my reply again, merging vic teams is not on the agenda and as far as HQ are concerned that's a good thing. On top of that if I am correct it would take a vote of all the clubs to have a majority in favour of the merge. Highly unlikely.

Whilst I get the talent dilution sentiment, it's too much of a price to pay for HQ to just abandon 100's of thousand of paying supporters. It's hard to argue that an extra 45 players on AFL lists is going to be some huge dent to the talent pool.

This is purely hypothetical but I think a 3rd team would garner interest IF it was a big wafl team............ However that may entice current freo and wc supporters to jump ship.

For example imagine if South Freo or an East Perth were granted an AFL licence.

But that's the point, it's not making any more money for the AFL if its just digging into already existing revenues. So what's the point of the millions of dollars needed to make it happen? Expansion teams are about expanding the league, not just cannibalizing what already exists. Not to mention creating a ton of conflict behind the scenes with the major players since Freo and WC already dominate the business landscape in Perth. Never say never, but I wouldn't see the logic behind it.

How do we know that all Tasmanian AFL fans will just ditch their current teams and join Tassie?

I personally know a fair few people who jumped ship to the Suns and the Giants when they came in because it was a fresh new start for people who supported strugglers at the time (Richmond, Dogs, Dees etc). More people will be onboard for a Tassie team because unlike GC and GWS, the majority of the footy world will see the Devils (let's just go with the common sense nickname) in a positive light and that would probably result in a higher level of 'ship jumping'.

I personally know a fair few people who jumped ship to the Suns and the Giants when they came in because it was a fresh new start for people who supported strugglers at the time (Richmond, Dogs, Dees etc). More people will be onboard for a Tassie team because unlike GC and GWS, the majority of the footy world will see the Devils (let's just go with the common sense nickname) in a positive light and that would probably result in a higher level of 'ship jumping'.
NSWelshmen and Queenslanders have just as much loyalty to their regions as Tassie.

Want a team there, just think it'll be a generational change to get people to support the club like up here.

But that's the point, it's not making any more money for the AFL if its just digging into already existing revenues. So what's the point of the millions of dollars needed to make it happen? Expansion teams are about expanding the league, not just cannibalizing what already exists. Not to mention creating a ton of conflict behind the scenes with the major players since Freo and WC already dominate the business landscape in Perth. Never say never, but I wouldn't see the logic behind it.

Fair point, won't expand the league like a Tas team would.

It's fair speculation that the Tas locals would embrace their own team, probably harder to speculate the other way. The wa and sa teams are an example.
They were both from a completely different time.
Easy access and the comp being as big as it is for some time.
Compared to opening up a state comp.

Wish them all the best though.

I believe I have a solution that solves the fixture, AFLPA wanting more rest, expansion of the comp and still keeps the broadcasters happy over the course of a 6-7 month season.

DO NOT PUT IN A 20th TEAM.
DO NOT MERGE.

Put the team in Hobart. Play 6-7 games in Hobart with 2-3 games a year in Launceston ala the Giants in Canberra. They can even play an 'away' game against the Hawks in Launceston for a couple of years to help build it up even more.

Keep it a 19 team competition, 18 games (9 home and 9 away) with each team having a couple bye weeks (1 team per week plus a couple of weeks with mulitple team byes) to extend the number of rounds ala 2011 when the Suns first came in.

Top 10 play finals in a single elimination format. Higher placed teams retain home field advantage.

1559796840849.png

Would think Gold Coast will most likely fold, and then Tassie will be established. Just can't see them keeping Rankine, Lukosius, King, Martin and Sexton, for the duration needed to challenge for finals, let alone a flag. Reckon once that new 'core' is gone, it's pretty much curtains for the Suns. Could merge with Tassie and be called the Launceston/Hobart Suns, but more likely they just fold altogether.

Brisbane are on the up and should be in the window come for the next 5 years if they play their cards right. All the talent that wants to go to Queensland, will choose a team that's in contention, over one that is going through a painstaking rebuild. GWS have been successful which is a win for the AFL, but no matter how hard they try, I can't see how the Suns reach that sort of level

How do we know that all Tasmanian AFL fans will just ditch their current teams and join Tassie?

Didn't happen in Sydney or QLD.

Both states are just a loyal about their regions as Tasmanians.

I'm all for a Tassie team but I don't think everyone is just going to drop the team they have followed and join.

Will take time.

Queensland & Sydney were/are about initiating the footy heathens. Whether it works or not is moot point. Its cost a fortune so far.

The question is not whether Tasmanians will drop whatever allegiances for 'other' teams they have. Because that doesn't matter. Its about whether they will buy memberships & go to games. That they will.

I'd argue the bulk of people will follow a local team in preference to the other teams. They did in WA & in SA.

Crowds and membership will be strong. Hawthorn can get Tas crowds of 10K - 15K (v low drawing clubs) and membership of 10K, as if a Tasmanian team cannot double or triple that. They would only need to take 20% from each current club. This is a no brainer. Instant winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tasmanian Tigers sounds a lot better ;)

It does sound better and most obvious but Richmond would block it, in fact, Tasmanian Devil's may well be blocked by Melbourne as being too similar to the Demons. They are essentially the same thing. The Bulldogs blocked the original design for GWS' colours. Collingwood obviously blocked Ports strip. I don't think the Tasmanian team will risk putting any existing club off side when they already would have their support.

If wanting to appeal to the local culture:

Tasmanian Cray's colours can be bottle green and maroon red, state colours) Savage looking creature for a mascot. Most mainlanders already think Tasmanianas are crazy anyway. And im sure everyone can already llok forward to the Freo V Tassie "Crayz take on the Hayze" headlines every year.

Tasmanian Mariners (green and yellow. again state colours. It is an Island and fishing and boating is a major part of Tassie culture.

Not sure if I mentioned it in there but I probably should have been clearer. My idea would be to consolidate two teams in Victoria together, which would make way for a brand new Tassie team. Hypothetically, if North Melbourne and Carlton merged yeah you would get people leaving that merged club, but with 40k + 60k members respectively, you'd expect at least 70k to stick around which would make it one of the big clubs.

So 100k combined members and you expect 70% to stay around after a merger? I think you're very optimistic, to say the least.

I believe I have a solution that solves the fixture, AFLPA wanting more rest, expansion of the comp and still keeps the broadcasters happy over the course of a 6-7 month season.

DO NOT PUT IN A 20th TEAM.
DO NOT MERGE.

Put the team in Hobart. Play 6-7 games in Hobart with 2-3 games a year in Launceston ala the Giants in Canberra. They can even play an 'away' game against the Hawks in Launceston for a couple of years to help build it up even more.

Keep it a 19 team competition, 18 games (9 home and 9 away) with each team having a couple bye weeks (1 team per week plus a couple of weeks with mulitple team byes) to extend the number of rounds ala 2011 when the Suns first came in.

Top 10 play finals in a single elimination format. Higher placed teams retain home field advantage.

View attachment 687649
Broadcasters would be happy... to pay a fraction of what they currently pay for tv rights. Your solution means 27 less matches including a lot of marquee money-makers. The value of sponsorship would plummet. Revenue from membership and gate receipts would take a huge hit, and so on. Doesn't sound like expansion to me.

The consequences of having 4 less games for all clubs would be so devastating that there soon wouldn't be a league to join anyway. Unless, of course, the players are willing to take massive paycuts. Think the AFLPA are dogged about workloads? You ain't seen nothin' yet!

Broadcasters would be happy... to pay a fraction of what they currently pay for tv rights. Your solution means 27 less matches including a lot of marquee money-makers. The value of sponsorship would plummet. Revenue from membership and gate receipts would take a huge hit, and so on. Doesn't sound like expansion to me.

The consequences of having 4 less games for all clubs would be so devastating that there soon wouldn't be a league to join anyway. Unless, of course, the players are willing to take massive paycuts. Think the AFLPA are dogged about workloads? You ain't seen nothin' yet!
There will never be less than 22 games per club. Any expansion needs to increase revenue. With 19 teams it would be 24 rounds and two byes each - giving four double ups.
Also, whilst the team must be based/train in Hobart, it will only work if the club's constitution mandates that games are split 50/50 north/south.

It does sound better and most obvious but Richmond would block it, in fact, Tasmanian Devil's may well be blocked by Melbourne as being too similar to the Demons. They are essentially the same thing. The Bulldogs blocked the original design for GWS' colours. Collingwood obviously blocked Ports strip. I don't think the Tasmanian team will risk putting any existing club off side when they already would have their support.

If wanting to appeal to the local culture:

Tasmanian Cray's colours can be bottle green and maroon red, state colours) Savage looking creature for a mascot. Most mainlanders already think Tasmanianas are crazy anyway. And im sure everyone can already llok forward to the Freo V Tassie "Crayz take on the Hayze" headlines every year.

Tasmanian Mariners (green and yellow. again state colours. It is an Island and fishing and boating is a major part of Tassie culture.
The last time I checked a Tasmanian devil was a animal nothing like a demon why would Melbourne want to block it 😀

NSWelshmen and Queenslanders have just as much loyalty to their regions as Tassie.

Want a team there, just think it'll be a generational change to get people to support the club like up here.
Of course not every one in Tasmania will jump ship though the big difference to Nsw & Queensland is the state supports football in general a large number of people that go to north and hawthorn games don’t support them they go to watch a game of footy this is not the case in the exspansion states !

Does Tasmania have a lot of cornball nightclubs that play shitty dance music and pretentious cafes that sell overpriced coffees? If the answer is yes, it shouldn't be a problem getting young blokes to move there.

Of course not every one in Tasmania will jump ship though the big difference to Nsw & Queensland is the state supports football in general a large number of people that go to north and hawthorn games don’t support them they go to watch a game of footy this is not the case in the exspansion states !
Absolutely the state as a whole loves footy more than NSW and QLD.
But.
The fans we do have up here love the game just as much and didn't switch to there local team otherwise there would be sellouts.

Anyway hope it works out for them down there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back