Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need Curnow and Cripps to play full time mids with the kids rotating through one at a time imo. Playing Curnow forward was madness imo when we are crying out for someone like him in the midfield. I just think the coaching staff got ahead of themselves with a few of the kids.
100% agreed. Play Curnow as the tackling, accumulating, tagging machine that he is. He is a strong body, consistent and can give Cripps the help he needs.

Likewise, he's just not good at the HFF or any forward role because he lacks the skill to execute good passes.

Fail to see how not having pick 1 this year has left us in the current predicament...

Even if we still had pick 1, he'd take at least 2-3 years...

Our current predicament has nothing to do with trading away picks

Perfect. Gibbs retires and they have a ready made replacement. You can never have enough midfielders. The last 5 years has demonstrated that point.

We need Curnow and Cripps to play full time mids with the kids rotating through one at a time imo. Playing Curnow forward was madness imo when we are crying out for someone like him in the midfield. I just think the coaching staff got ahead of themselves with a few of the kids.
Add Jsos to the list who actually had a great preseason and is a bigger body.

Yes, but if we could get an established midfielder in Parish, would you not consider a trade?
Kennedy fits their need for a hard bodied midfielder. If I remember correctly, they were initially interested in him when he was on verge of leaving GWS. Assuming his recent form hasn’t turned them off entirely, I could see them having another go at him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In his first season, dow was averaging better than Dangerfield (in his 2nd season) in almost all stats. This includes disposal efficiency (and danger handballed more).

In his second season (so far), dow is averaging better than danger (3rd season) in almost every category once again (including disposal efficiency). This is despite the fact that in his third season danger stacked on 5kg and increased his minutes per game by 25%.

That's something we potentially have to look forward to in Dow's development next year. Right now dow is only just behind Dangerfield in his 4th! season (danger broke out in his 5th). I think it's safe to say he's tracking alright.

In his first season, dow was averaging better than Dangerfield (in his 2nd season) in almost all stats. This includes disposal efficiency (and danger handballed more).

In his second season (so far), dow is averaging better than danger (3rd season) in almost every category once again (including disposal efficiency). This is despite the fact that in his third season danger stacked on 5kg and increased his minutes per game by 25%.

That's something we potentially have to look forward to in Dow's development next year. Right now dow is only just behind Dangerfield in his 4th! season (danger broke out in his 5th). I think it's safe to say he's tracking alright.
You’re comparing a midfielder and a forward.
Dow is a well below league average mid.
Danger was about an average/slightly above average forward.
Look at Parish’s first season in a worst side than ours. Getting stats is a tiny part of the story.

You’re comparing a midfielder and a forward.
Dow is a well below league average mid.
Danger was about an average/slightly above average forward.
Look at Parish’s first season in a worst side than ours. Getting stats is a tiny part of the story.
I don't think a goal a game qualifies as above average really, unless you consider ed as an above average forward this season (for the games he played in the forward line)

You can find lots of examples of players doing both better and worse, because that's just how development works....it's not linear and people develop at different rates

I don't think a goal a game qualifies as above average really, unless you consider ed as an above average forward this season (for the games he played in the forward line)

You can find lots of examples of players doing both better and worse, because that's just how development works....it's not linear and people develop at different rates
26 goals would be in the top half of all forwards if we assume every team played 6.
Though I would say he was closer to average.

I don’t have too many worries with how Dow is developing at all but atm he isn’t capable of playing the role we are asking of him. The forty games experience he will have at the end of this season will be like 80 for some other kids and hopefully that will stand him in good stead

26 goals would be in the top half of all forwards if we assume every team played 6.
Though I would say he was closer to average.

I don’t have too many worries with how Dow is developing at all but atm he isn’t capable of playing the role we are asking of him. The forty games experience he will have at the end of this season will be like 80 for some other kids and hopefully that will stand him in good stead
After 4 seasons he was rated average (danger) so that's a reasonable assessment. It is true that dow is being given responsibility that is probably unfair to him, its a lot to expect from a bloke who's played 30 games

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gibbs dropped again. Wonder if we'd consider throwing him a lifeline if he was willing to move back to Melbourne. Wouldn't cost much.

I'd like for him to return to Carlton.

If our 3rd round selection (pick 37) got the job done, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Gibbs dropped again. Wonder if we'd consider throwing him a lifeline if he was willing to move back to Melbourne. Wouldn't cost much.

People going on about getting mature players into the club, you won’t find better than Gibbs going around.
Our third rounder could do it I reckon, he’d have to be considering getting out of there.

People going on about getting mature players into the club, you won’t find better than Gibbs going around.
Our third rounder could do it I reckon, he’d have to be considering getting out of there.

I think there's going to be some quality players entering their 30's going around cheap this year.

We'd be silly not to entertain picking a few of them up.

I was more talking about how was the side going (the sides development) before these players stood up?

Seems to me both sides were good sides or just stepping up when these players became more effective

I wouldn't class De Goey, WHE or Caddy "small" forwards

Betts was with us when we weren’t any good in 2005, the whole idea we neglect decent small forwards (or any small forwards at all) until we are good is ridiculous.

This is a big reason why we are so dysfunctional up forward, as soon as the ball hits the ground we have nothing and the ball just goes straight back out, making turnovers even more deadly as the opposition is able to just swing around under little pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back