Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this stage they look the 2 clear top picks, Tom Green would be in the discussion perhaps but even if we bid on him GWS would likely match. ...
I hope whoever has pick 1 or 2 make a bid on Green (if he's rated good enough) and make GWS bleed a bit - would wipe out their (current) two r1 picks.

I hope whoever has pick 1 or 2 make a bid on Green (if he's rated good enough) and make GWS bleed a bit - would wipe out their (current) two r1 picks.
I think you might find them trading down before the draft. If they were smart they could make a big play with us for pick 1 or with GC for pick 2 (assuming we both end up with those picks)

They just need to stockpile more 2nd rounders, we will trade Carlton's, our's and another one (Poholke and/or CEY) for their 1st rounder (given they already have Essendon's).

They just need to stockpile more 2nd rounders, we will trade Carlton's, our's and another one (Poholke and/or CEY) for their 1st rounder (given they already have Essendon's).
what pick 19, 30 odd AND a player for pick 16..why would we do that. If we traded that for a pick, we would be after the essendon pick which may be a top 10 pick

True, I forgot they are playing very good this year (I had in my mind around pick 12 but doubt they will finish that low) so Essendon's pick is about right.
I think that the carlton pick 19 and our 2nd might get the job done for one of their 1sts (+ a commitment that we don't place a bid on Tom Green!!)

Edit - I would love to get another top 10 pick to go with the carlton 1st as that top 10 pick puts us in a great spot to go after a cam Taheny if he is on our radar - and make no mistake, this kid can really play from what I have seen of him for Norwood this year

Depends on how many spare list spots they will have - clubs can only take the number of live picks into the draft matching the number of free list spots they have. Maybe they'll end up trading out first-22 players for r1 picks in any case and keep cashing in on their start up concession picks by churning players who want to go home.

I think you might find them trading down before the draft. If they were smart they could make a big play with us for pick 1 or with GC for pick 2 (assuming we both end up with those picks)
Assuming you mean trading for pick 1 or 2 (I find trading down always ambiguous to mean trading down numerically or pick values), we'd probably only do it if they can get us a pick around #5 plus other good picks (and that's if we decide to forgo the very top prospects).

Depends on how many spare list spots they will have - clubs can only take the number of live picks into the draft matching the number of free list spots they have. Maybe they'll end up trading out first-22 players for r1 picks in any case and keep cashing in on their start up concession picks by churning players who want to go home.

Assuming you mean trading for pick 1 or 2 (I find trading down always ambiguous to meant trading down numerically or pick values), we'd probably only do it if they can get us a pick around #5 plus other good picks (and that's if we decide to forgo the very top prospects).

Yeah - I have mentioned before that we would be negligent if we didn't explore what we could get if we traded down (not saying we do trade down - just explore what clubs would be prepared to offer). GWS are the obvious ones due to their academy player being top 5 rated atm. We might be able to secure a couple of 1sts (their essendon 1st is likely to be a top 10 pick and their own pick will likely be a pick 15-18) and a good player (ie a himmerberg or maybe one of their mids) for say pick 1 and maybe our 2nd rounder

We have pick 1, 19 and 28ish but then nothing till like pick 80, im sure we need a bit of a list turnover so I doubt we'd package up 19 and 28 for something lower, unless we trade someone like Atkins and get another 2nd rounder.

Was disappointed with Kemp, did not look composed with his disposals.

I think Young could end up bridging the gap to Rowell/Anderson and being a clear cut pick 3.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would look at a bigger body of work. Knowing they are even more under the spotlight might make some less composed at Championships

There is a suggestion that good draft watchers look at the previous 2 years to the champs as that is when the freedom of playing most resembles the freedom of knowing they have made it onto a list

We have pick 1, 19 and 28ish but then nothing till like pick 80, im sure we need a bit of a list turnover so I doubt we'd package up 19 and 28 for something lower, unless we trade someone like Atkins and get another 2nd rounder.
No i think if we can get a lower pick in the low teens or even better then we do trade our 2 x 2nd rounders..rowell or anderson and maybe a taheny would be unreal..then grab some late pick specials..or maybe trade out a poholke for a pick in the 40's or 50's if you can

Was disappointed with Kemp, did not look composed with his disposals.

I think Young could end up bridging the gap to Rowell/Anderson and being a clear cut pick 3.

Kemp played down back, back pocket a lot of the time from what I could see, he could turn out to be the big bodied mid IMO something like Bontompelli/Josh Kennedy and not out of the realm of possibiliy he could even hold down a key post Back or forward. I've probably seen more of him than you I would think....don't just gauge him on one game, he's very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent, we'll look forward to your review, it's great to be able to watch the games on the live streams or TV but sometimes you get a better perspective watching live with regards to the lads efforts off the ball, work rate to get to the next contest and positioning especially for Key Position Players.

If I do get down there, I’ll take my notepad

Mitch Martin had a couple of handy moments but seemed to only get limited game time?
What are your thoughts on MM Bicks as a keen observer of GWV Rebels? Has he got enough to go onto the next level?

What are your thoughts on MM Bicks as a keen observer of GWV Rebels? Has he got enough to go onto the next level?
Plenty of footy smarts, decent skills, penetrating kick, might just lack a yard of pace but I think Mitch's footy smarts more than compensate for that. I think he's a real chance in the back half of the draft/rookie as in an elite environment I think his tank will improve immensely.

Jay Rantall the Aussie rep basketballer turned footballer is a certainty to get drafted IMO, ran an unbelievable 22.1 yo-yo test at the pre-season testing, that's Sam Walsh, Ned McHenry levels of endurance, could even sneak into the 1st round so impressive has been his upward trajectory. Other Rebels in with a shot depending on how much exposure they get at the Championships and their back end of the NAB League season are another Aussie rep basketballer turned footballer Liam Herbert, Isaac Wareham and Toby Mahony.

Story on Jay Rantall from the Standard.

https://www.standard.net.au/story/6082892/jay-dreaming-of-football-success-with-rebels/

Plenty of footy smarts, decent skills, penetrating kick, might just lack a yard of pace but I think Mitch's footy smarts more than compensate for that. I think he's a real chance in the back half of the draft/rookie as in an elite environment I think his tank will improve immensely.

Jay Rantall the Aussie rep basketballer turned footballer is a certainty to get drafted IMO, ran an unbelievable 22.1 yo-yo test at the pre-season testing, that's Sam Walsh, Ned McHenry levels of endurance, could even sneak into the 1st round so impressive has been his upward trajectory. Other Rebels in with a shot depending on how much exposure they get at the Championships and their back end of the NAB League season are another Aussie rep basketballer turned footballer Liam Herbert, Isaac Wareham and Toby Mahony.

Story on Jay Rantall from the Standard.

https://www.standard.net.au/story/6082892/jay-dreaming-of-football-success-with-rebels/
Cheers. I know Mitch well enough through work. Quiet kid so you can't get to much out of him in a sense of how he is going but that may just say more about having a decent head on his shoulders as well.

So obviously if Rantall was avaliable at 19~ you'd be keen to snap him up?

I haven't seen anywhere near as much Rebels exposure as what we usually get further West so it is good to have an update on the ones that are a chance along the way.

Cheers. I know Mitch well enough through work. Quiet kid so you can't get to much out of him in a sense of how he is going but that may just say more about having a decent head on his shoulders as well.

So obviously if Rantall was avaliable at 19~ you'd be keen to snap him up?

I haven't seen anywhere near as much Rebels exposure as what we usually get further West so it is good to have an update on the ones that are a chance along the way.
I would but maybe I'm a little biased. :p

Whatever way you slice and dice it I doubt there's a player in this draft with the upside and potential Jay projects...an inside/outside midfielder that can get forward and hit the scoreboard along with his elite endurance and elite hands in tight are pretty handy in today's AFL. He's hard at the contest, tackles hard and runs both ways all day, only slight weakness can be consistency by foot at times but given his background that's an easy fix in an elite environment and the more exposure he has to football.

Details of the Young Guns game 2 played last weekend. A match for generally for players under 22 that have missed out in the 2 previous drafts and youngsters playing VFL that came through different football career paths. Think it was 5 that played in last year's Young Gun series that got drafted in last year's draft.

COUNTRY (GREEN) 3.2 7.5 8.9 11.12 (78)
CITY (BLACK) 2.0 7.2 9.3 9.8 (62)

GOALS
Country (Green): R. D’Arcy (Frankston) 3, L. Mackie (Box Hill Hawks), B. Henderson (Richmond VFL), P. Solomon (Murray Bushrangers), R. Clarke (Bendigo Pioneers), A. Domic (Werribee), S. Conway (Williamstown), B. Motton (Box Hill Hawks), Z. Barzen (Murray Bushrangers)
City (Black): T. Mundy (Williamstown) 3, J. Kemp (Calder Cannons) 2, J. Scanlon (Coburg), N. Baltas (Richmond VFL), N. Kempe (Collingwood VFL), J. Cusack (Richmond VFL)

DISPOSALS
Country (Green): L. Fiore (Murray Bushrangers) 24, B. Henderson 23, A. Cincotta (Geelong VFL) 22, A. Domic 21, H. Stubbings (Geelong Falcons) 20, L. Mackie 18, B. Motton 17, C. Jones (Geelong VFL) 16, B. Kelly (Murray Bushrangers) 16, A. Garner (Geelong VFL) 14
City (Black): A. Hanrahan (Sandringham Dragons) 25, R. Verbi (North Melbourne VFL) 24, B. Lambert (Richmond VFL) 18, D. Bennett (Werribee) 16, M. Day (Essendon VFL) 15, L. Farrugia (Footscray) 14, J. Ayton-Delaney (Oakleigh Chargers) 13, N. Baltas 13, J. Scanlon 13, M. Marotta (Collingwood VFL) 12

BEST
Country (Green): A. Domic, B. Henderson, L. Mackie, B. Schmidt (Dandenong Stingrays), A. Garner, K. Reid (Geelong VFL)
City (Black): A. Hanrahan, M. Marotta, M. Day, T. Mundy, J. Ayton-Delaney, W. Berry (Essendon VFL)

The one player we could bid on before the big 2 depending on where the Blues finish.

Big bodied mid Tom Green. #48

Teams in for Sunday's Vic Country vs the Allies match at UTAS Stadium (York Park) Launceston 12.30PM.

1559785556333.png

The one player we could bid on before the big 2 depending on where the Blues finish.

Big bodied mid Tom Green. #48

I see GWS have picks 9, and 17 currently. Opens up the door for some cheeky shenanigans to upgrade pick 19 as well.

Difference betwee a pick 1 bid and a pick 3-4 bid isn't negligible.

Teams for the Vic Metro vs WA U18's National Championships to be played Saturday

Western Australia's Simply Energy State 18s host Victoria Metro in Round 1 of the NAB AFL National 18s Championships at 10am this Saturday, June 8, at Mineral Resources Park, Lathlain.

VIC METRO

B: 38. Brodie Newman - 33. Corey Watts - 14. James Ross
HB:15. Louis Butler - 29. Fischer McAsey - 5. Trent Bianco
C: 31. Joshua Worrell - 25. Finn Maginness - 22. Miles Bergman
HF: 16. Darcy Cassar - 30. Harrison Jones - 1. Jack Mahony
F:2. Mitch Mellis - 34. Charlie Dean - 23. Dylan Williams
R:40. Nick Bryan - 24. Noah Anderson (C) - 11. Matthew Rowell
Int: 39. Jack Bell - 27. Oscar Lewis - 13. Daniel Mott

18. Lachlan Potter - 21. Hugo Ralphsmith
Emg: 26. Ryan Sturgess - 19. Josh Honey

In: C. Watts (Sandringham), J. Ross (Eastern), M. Mellis (Eastern), J. Bell (Sandringham), O. Lewis (Sandringham)

Out: R. Sturgess (Northern – rotated), J. Honey (Western – rotated), A. Carafa (Northern – rotated), A. Courtney (Sandringham – rotated), C. Downie (Eastern – rotated)

WA

1559810678506.png

Rantall is becoming the new Berry hey Bicks ;)

Maybe if you saw the lad play you would understand why I'm very bullish about his draft prospects.

Watched any NEAFL this year re Tom Berry?

Young Thomas is going alright, so much so that the Lions have already re-contracted him for a further 2 years on top of his rookie 2 year deal.

https://www.lions.com.au/news/2019-05-03/brothers-resign

In the bests again last weekend against the Swans...

https://www.lions.com.au/news/2019-06-03/neafl-lions-win-eighth-straight

BRISBANE 7.6 11.9 13.15 17.19 (121)
SYDNEY 2.1 4.2 7.2 8.2 (50)

GOALS
Brisbane:
K Coleman 3 J Allison 3 T Joyce 2 T Wooller 2 S Skinner 2 T Cutler 2 N Cumberland A Christensen T Berry.
Sydney: B Ronke 2 D Cameron 2 C Kilpatrick 2 M Knoll S Wicks.

BEST
Brisbane:
J Walker T Joyce J Allison S Skinner T Cutler T Berry.
Sydney: J Rose J Amartey R Stoddart B Ronke J Rowbottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back