Status
Not open for further replies.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting we won 7 games so far, I expected 8-11 games this year
We still have a lot of things to work on which is not a bad thing.
Every week we have 4-6 players who do not play four qtrs. Normally 2-3 of those go missing for most of the game.
Not the same players each week. so yes still a lot of negatives.
Still need a winger and fast HB to play well. Been good and bad weeks.

It will hopefully start clicking soon then imagine what we can do.
Once there is a smaller gap between our best and worst.

If we want to improve our goalkicking all we need to do is, any time we have a set shot 20m out directly in front, pass it back to someone on the boundary 40m out. That'll sort it.

There was a really great discussion on how our gameplan has changed this year to last year on this weeks By the Numbers podcast. Not that dissimilar from what was briefly touched on On the Couch this week. Key bits:
  • We've switched from high corridor team for ball movement (2nd last year) to being a boundary team (2nd behind Geelong). Interestingly Geelong was also top 4 in corridor use last year.
  • Pressure in the forward half is number 1 over the last month of the season - creating the second/third most forward half turnovers.
  • Numbers for those two stats weren't as high the first 6 weeks of the season but they are right up the last month.
  • We're number one for points from stoppages.
A few people have mentioned it already but this does reinforce the fact that we've really changed our game style, particularly the last month, with a lot more kicking long down the line and getting the ball into the forward half and locking it in rather than having shallow entries and getting cut up on the rebound.

I don't have any stats to back it up but this would be impacting our shot location with us being more likely to have wider shots as a result of gamestyle, and on our efficiency inside 50 as we want to get it in wide and force stoppages/forward half turnovers.

Podcast link is here (discussion goes from roughly the 38 to 43 minute mark): https://player.whooshkaa.com/rsn-breakfast-club?episode=381928
We do lack a bit of speed and run out of the backline so I am wondering if this change has had a bit to do with that? A lot less likely to get hurt as a result of a turnover moving the ball along the boundary then you are up the guts and without the speed to make up for the mistakes.

If we want to improve our goalkicking all we need to do is, any time we have a set shot 20m out directly in front, pass it back to someone on the boundary 40m out. That'll sort it.
Or all the way to Richy - from 60, on the burst.

I'm happy with that - we have a very close group ATM that includes players and coaching/welfare/medical/ etc staff. Bringing in someone who is disgruntled, as any newly sacked coach surely must be, could impact on the group.

Also we are still learning from the current staff, and I want that to continue until it reaches saturation and then bring in new ideas and tactics to freshen us up. Bolton clearly has visions and believes that Carlton are moving down the right track. I think he'd want to add some of that to the team he goes too, and I'm not convinced he's right.

I'm happy with that - we have a very close group ATM that includes players and coaching/welfare/medical/ etc staff. Bringing in someone who is disgruntled, as any newly sacked coach surely must be, could impact on the group.

Also we are still learning from the current staff, and I want that to continue until it reaches saturation and then bring in new ideas and tactics to freshen us up. Bolton clearly has visions and believes that Carlton are moving down the right track. I think he'd want to add some of that to the team he goes too, and I'm not convinced he's right.
I breath a sigh of relief!

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd be very surprised if Noble was interested. He sees himself as a future club CEO not a coach.

I think he's Swanny's heir apparent.

It would also be an odd appointment that contradicts Carlton's messaging about the foundations being laid and their need for a coach who can take them to the next level on field.

Noble seems more like a foundation/fundamentals/processes guy rather than a coaching mastermind. Unless he has been totally inspired by what Fages has done.

Wasn't it said he would position himself for a high ranking job at AFL house after Brisbane if he took on the assigmment? I recall something along those lines.

Yep, 36% winning percentage at the Docklands as the Brisbane Lions (won 24, lost 42, drawn 2) and since 2016, won 3, lost 10...so yeah, pretty average I'd say.
Since 2016 we've only won 26% of our games total so our record at Docklands during the recent period is not too far off that.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Since 2016 we've only won 26% of our games total so our record at Docklands during the recent period is not too far off that.

Depressing to think how bad that stat would be without this years 7 wins. Winning only 13 of 66 games from 2016-18 will do that!

EDIT: ignoring results this year we won 19% of games from 2016-18. Winning 2 of 9 at Docklands is actually a higher winning percentage at 22%

Milpool

Cam Rayner Fanclub Jr. Vice President
Oct 23, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Does anyone know if the Springwood lions club sells club merch? Thinking of heading there this afternoon to buy a beanie for a Bundaberg trip this weekend and know nowhere in the coast will have one. Don't have time to get the the Gabba shop unfortunately.

Are you suggesting we were crap everywhere, so pulling out specific locations doesn't tell us much unless they're significantly different?

I believe that's call for a shouting down!

Or at least you can join me at tilting at the same windmills...

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep, 36% winning percentage at the Docklands as the Brisbane Lions (won 24, lost 42, drawn 2) and since 2016, won 3, lost 10...so yeah, pretty average I'd say.

As I suspected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back