Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did someone here enquire about the #BringBackTheBars badge that leaguetees are selling or have they gotten behind the concept and done it off of their own back?

Happy either way.

Did someone here enquire about the #BringBackTheBars badge that leaguetees are selling or have they gotten behind the concept and done it off of their own back?

Happy either way.
That site is run by Anthony Costs from Costa sports, I think he lurks Bigfooty every so often, so I wouldn’t be shocked if he just chose to do it.

Happy either way.
That site is run by Anthony Costs from Costa sports, I think he lurks Bigfooty every so often, so I wouldn’t be shocked if he just chose to do it.

We've had some communication but he's done this off his own bat.

Old news but I'm not sure if this has been posted.
Tony Shaw says he "doesn't care" if Port Adelaide wear 'prison bar' jumper in 2020.
https://omny.fm/shows/3aw-is-football/tony-shaw-says-he-doesnt-care-if-port-adelaide-wea

A great campaign tactic would be to get supporting comments from as many Collingwood greats as possible to say they have no problem with Port in the PBs. People like-

Tony Shaw
Peter Diacos
Peter Moore
Greg Phillips
Damian Monkhurst
Micky Gayfer
Gavin Brown
Tony Francis
Scott Burns
Bruce Abernethy
Gavin Crosisca
Michael McGuane
Scott Russell
Leigh Matthews
Nathan Buckley

As far as Eddie goes, divide and conquer.

Hopefully we see some pictures in this thread when these 2 have a run around vs Sturt.
D8Wo3IyVsAEzHe_.png

I was at The Camel in Shanghai on Friday night where Dwayne Russell was on the mic for a bit. He mentioned that he has been told we will definitely wear The bars once a year against the Crows from next year.

Lukewarm reception from the crowd, personally I read it more as disappointment that it wasn’t enough.

We started out wearing the black and white number panels in only Showdowns in 2015, then we started wearing them permanently in 2017.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at The Camel in Shanghai on Friday night where Dwayne Russell was on the mic for a bit. He mentioned that he has been told we will definitely wear The bars once a year against the Crows from next year.

Lukewarm reception from the crowd, personally I read it more as disappointment that it wasn’t enough.

but we play the crows twice a year, so home game only?

I worry that too many supporters have tired of the fight for the PB and no longer care which way or the other, which is sad when past legends, both living and those that have passed on, loved and treasured it. That jumper meant everything to them. Then there are some that like the BiB more and want that. For me it isn't about which jumper looks better or being tired of the fight on a battle that is immature really, it is about what is right, and what identity Port should always have. Many still tell me it will never be our number one worn jumper but I am hoping they're wrong.

I worry that too many supporters have tired of the fight for the PB and no longer care which way or the other, which is sad when past legends, both living and those that have passed on, loved and treasured it. That jumper meant everything to them. Then there are some that like the BiB more and want that. For me it isn't about which jumper looks better or being tired of the fight on a battle that is immature really, it is about what is right, and what identity Port should always have. Many still tell me it will never be our number one worn jumper but I am hoping they're wrong.

At this point, it’s more about the fight than the guernsey.
The fight galvanises us. It unites us. It brings it back to us against the rest.

Think for one second how our players would feel seeing a supporter led campaign to wear a guernsey we’ve been told not to by the AFL and Collingwood, actually gaining traction and making a difference.

We will never, ever give up.

I agree that the fight is more important than the guernsey. It's Port Adelaide standing up for itself and demanding what rightly belongs to it.

But watch the tidal wave of public support for this cause the next time we wear that guernsey. If we're wearing it on a regular, continued basis, even more.

One wearing will show that the fanbase would drop the BiB like a hot potato if offered the choice. Repeated wearings will show that the sky didn't fall in over the Holden Centre because a different club wore a unique guernsey.

It's probably actually a blessing for this cause that we've been thoroughly unsuccessful in the BiB era and have never won a final wearing the BiB home guersney. The perceived emotional attachment will just melt away. 2 years into wearing the PBs full time, not a single soul will be complaining that we dropped the BiB.

So long as we don't sign some stupid agreement saying we will never push for more I would see this as progress.

The ultimate is that the PBs are our Main kit. I understand that we should not compromise on what is our right and we should not compromise before the negotiations have even started.

But for me, PBs in the Showdowns (black shorts at home, white shorts away) would be a significant win for the cause. The symbolism is greatest in the Showdowns. For over 100 years that jumper, in this state, has meant us against the rest. How it would kill any true blue Norwood or Sturt supporter to see that jumper paraded on the national stage, in front of our 60,000 members, in front of a million viewers while their poxy suburban kit belong only to those few lonely souls who are their signed up members. Incidentally, the number of people in this state on witness protection now officially outnumbers Norwood's paid up members which might explain where they have all gone.

The delicious cherry on top is that the jumper would earn new significance if worn in all Showdowns. It would grow from "Us vrs Them" symbolism to "F@#$ it, we'll take you all on" significance.

Is the clubs aim to bring them back by stealth? 1 game a year, then both showdowns, then in a bunch of home games, then WHAM it's our main jumper.
After the Home Showdown the next club I'd tap to play in it against is the Lions. I think they'd be happy to play us here (and probably at the Gabba) where we're in the PB's and they are in the old Fitzroy kit. Then go the other non-Vic clubs, so by the time you get to the 'VFL IS EVERYTHING!' mob, we're already wearing it multiple times a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back