2019 Trade thread

Getting in a SPS or Parish would be huge in the sense that they are young but would make an impact and still be around for some time.

Big fan of trading for someone like that.

Those kinds of trades i think are value using late first round picks as well. Probably getting a similar talent but getting them early 20s instead of 18. Hawks did a really good job at this to keep talent coming in the door at a good rate.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Walsh has already signed a contract extension until 2022. I don't think he's going to demand to leave after his coach of 10 games is let go. Plus Carlton would never ever let him leave.

Plus despite being terrible for years Carlton really have lost any young talent. One of the perks of being a big Victorian club I guess.

Yes it's a pipe dream.

SPS and Parish a little more gettable

Walsh has already signed a contract extension until 2022. I don't think he's going to demand to leave after his coach of 10 games is let go. Plus Carlton would never ever let him leave.

Plus despite being terrible for years Carlton really have lost any young talent. One of the perks of being a big Victorian club I guess.

Step 1: get someone to whisper in SOS's ear about the value of hypnosis in dealing with stress and change

Step 2: make sure that the hypnotist is a Lion's supporter who believes that the greater good for the player outweighs professional ethics

Step 3: Instill that Walsh will not be staying and needs to be punished and sent to Brisbane, that in order to truly punish him he needs to be humiliated by only being considered worth a swap of Lion's 2019 first round pick for Carlton's 2020 first round pick, that that first round pick gained from the Lions will be irresistible to the GWS recruiting team, and that the players he gets for that pick will make Walsh seem like a total waste.

Step 4: Our recruiting team is surprised but cooperative when they learn of SOS's offer

Step 5: Start Carlton 2020 Death Ride thread and enjoy Walsh at the Lions

No?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I'm very confident that David Noble, Dom Ambrogio and Stephen Conole have got a pleasant incoming trade in the winds for us this off season, it'll be hard to follow up the standard of 2017s Charlie Cameron and 2018s Lachie Neale trades though.

Can they go back to back to back with an elite trade in????

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Hanley is OOC this year. How about another cheap trade with GC, we can move Bailey to wing and Hanley can slot in HBF. I know we had our issues with him but we could get a better version this time with an opportunity for finals footy/premiership..
Please god no. Will be 31 this year and can barely get about a trot. Will be lucky to be on a list next year

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm very confident that David Noble, Dom Ambrogio and Stephen Conole have got a pleasant incoming trade in the winds for us this off season, it'll be hard to follow up the standard of 2017s Charlie Cameron and 2018s Lachie Neale trades though.

You'd think it'd be easier this year to sell potential players on us considering our form, however, it does depend on who is available and timing ect. Zac Williams from GWS would be a terrific get and fills a need. He'd get a nice pay rise with us. I also think Jack Martin would flourish in a top 8 side.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Zac Williams makes perfect sense for us. Would give us that fast, attacking rebound defender that we need. Will be an RFA next year and with Kelly/Cogs* re-signing this year(*yet to be confirmed) and Cameron/Whitfield OOC next year you'd think we'd be able to offer Williams more money and the potential to play for a top 4 side from next year onwards. We'd surely appeal.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Our CEO is on record saying we are only after really good players......Isaac was really good 2 or 3 yrs ago.....now injury prone and not as dynamic.
Has barely missed a game in the last 8 years, wish all players were that injury prone..

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Zac Williams makes perfect sense for us. Would give us that fast, attacking rebound defender that we need. Will be an RFA next year and with Kelly/Cogs* re-signing this year(*yet to be confirmed) and Cameron/Whitfield OOC next year you'd think we'd be able to offer Williams more money and the potential to play for a top 4 side from next year onwards. We'd surely appeal.
I hadn't even thought of Zac Williams, he'd be a fantastic get.

ManeMan

Senior List
Aug 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Indianapolis Colts

You make some good points here. He is exactly what we need. The good thing about him is that he still has his best footy in front of him. He was really starting to string it together this year until this latest injury. Actually, that'd be another selling point for us: our medical team. He's had a pretty injury plagued career!

I reckon Coniglio is still more likely to go than Whitfield.

Brad Crouch would be an interesting option - injury prone, has shown promise when on the field, not an SA boy, could convince him by pointing at our injury list.
I thought it was Matt that had more injury issues. It always seems like one of them is injured so maybe they just change

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You'd think it'd be easier this year to sell potential players on us considering our form, however, it does depend on who is available and timing ect. Zac Williams from GWS would be a terrific get and fills a need. He'd get a nice pay rise with us. I also think Jack Martin would flourish in a top 8 side.

We certainly have some strong selling points compared to years past. Cohesive club heading in the right direction. Solid football department with obvious player buy in. Medical staff so talented they can bring back the dead. And you'd have to think we'd have decent cap space to front end a contract. The only box we don't tick is being in footy heartland.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You make some good points here. He is exactly what we need. The good thing about him is that he still has his best footy in front of him. He was really starting to string it together this year until this latest injury. Actually, that'd be another selling point for us: our medical team. He's had a pretty injury plagued career!

We're the America of the AFL - give us your tired your dodgy knees your Freo players yearning to play free..

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We certainly have some strong selling points compared to years past. Cohesive club heading in the right direction. Solid football department with obvious player buy in. Medical staff so talented they can bring back the dead. And you'd have to think we'd have decent cap space to front end a contract. The only box we don't tick is being in footy heartland.
The last point is actually a positive.

The pieces are falling in together finally with our players. Our years of being down the bottom and being, let’s be honest, absolutely terrible seem to be in the past but there is so much more room to grow for our players. We have a number of selling points as highlighted by Bangy Bangy. If it is evident to us what pieces are missing then the footy department would obviously. I feel that they will be trying to build a contested side of footy and looking for that aspect in future players. Allison made 0 tackles on the weekend therefore I can’t see him being picked any time soon. As much as we want run and spread type players I feel they’ll target them but maybe not yet. I think the midfield depth is lacking and that will still be their focus in part.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah the more I think about it the more he'd be an ideal candidate for us.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-06/how-a-role-change-has-unsigned-bomber-in-careerbest-form

How a role change has unsigned Bomber in career-best form

With Parish in the centre square, Essendon has won the clearance 60 per cent of the time (31 clearances from his 52 centre bounce attendances).

It ranks Parish as the second-best club win percentage of any player in the competition with 50 or more attendances, behind Port Adelaide's Willem Drew (61 per cent), and ahead of Power midfielder Ollie Wines, Bulldogs ruckman Jackson Trengove and Giants gun Stephen Coniglio, who are also in the top five at 55 per cent.

Rival clubs have been keeping a close eye on his performances since he couldn't break into the Bombers' round one side, and talks are likely to be parked until deeper into the season.

Parish is one of a number of younger players yet to recommit beyond this season at Essendon, along with Aaron Francis, Mason Redman and Matt Guelfi. Francis looks headed towards a new two-year deal, while discussions have started for a new contract with Redman, and it is important the Bombers retain their developing group of youngsters.

Cripps to Lions for 2020 Premiership tilt.

Lions Lions

All Australian
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jack Newnes is a free agent while Rory Atkins and Ed Langdon are both out of contract. Any of those 3 could slot into a wing spot on Lions' list. None are necessarily A-grade stars, but all 3 are decent to very good players

Caleb Daniel signed a 3-year deal recently
Caleb daniel is a very ordinary player, we have gone past recruiting hacks.
Would he be an upgrade on Homscbh? Seem similar sorts of players to me. Kieran Collins on a small sample size is a better player than Josh.
Collins is ordinary too.... josh walker miles better player!

Last edited:

Lions Lions

All Australian
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm suprised there isn't any talk of Isaac Smith on here. Aside from a running half back (could be Bailey?), and a lock down small def (Answerth?) I think a running wingman is our next greatest need - Brad Hill destroyed us in this role. Cutler and Bastinac won't be around unfortunately.

He'll be 31 in Dec and won't cost much - our 2nd rounder maybe? Pick 30 or so?

He'd have a relationship with fagan and Hodge already - and it'd be a win win if Hawks are in a rebuild.
I'm on same page, wish it happened last off season. Bet he did too, hawks on the slide.

Back