World Cup Day 8 Australia v West Indies @ Trent Bridge

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Shaking my head at that over still and the mistakes from Gaffaney. How on earth do you miss a front foot no ball that was that far over. It would be very hard to stomach for Windies fans. Gayle could have easily taken that game from us. Happy to take the W though and move on though.

To be fair he simply should have put bat on the next ball and it wouldn’t have mattered.
But yeah it was pretty disappointing to see the replay of the no ball.

We’ve only got ourselves to blame. From what I’ve read there were some poor shots and as much as he looked like he held the innings together, Hope probably needed to get a move on.

Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
Windies bowling lost there way after Carey got out. If they bold with more dicipline we would be lucky to score 240.

Over appealing by our bowlers was a little annoying but its no exuse for some of the umpiring decisions, the no ball call for Starc was simply shocking, he should nevr umpire again.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
To be fair he simply should have put bat on the next ball and it wouldn’t have mattered.

We’ve only got ourselves to blame. From what I’ve read there were some poor shots and as much as he looked like he held the innings together, Hope probably needed to get a move on.
Plenty to like about your team. I watched a lot of the t20 in Canada (where they had a team of young Windies players) and boy you have some exciting young bats. Good times ahead for the Windies.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Plenty to like about your team. I watched a lot of the t20 in Canada (where they had a team of young Windies players) and boy you have some exciting young bats. Good times ahead for the Windies.

They’ve got to channel it a bit more but they’re getting there. Hetmeyer has ability 99 per cent of international players would kill for but brains 99 per cent of club cricketers already have. Hope is a real banker for the one day side. Has to lift his test output. Pooran looks a bit of a talent too.

NCN is a real issue for the team.

On the one hand you obviously value that sort of striking at No.8. On the other hand, he's just a fairly vanilla, slapable bowler. Does nothing with the ball, predictable back of a length perfect hitting pace.

If he is to make that spot his he just has to provide more value with the ball.

Nonetheless a terrific innings last night.

And my god while there's all the carnage going on, Smith just looks completely at ease and in control.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Shaking my head at that over still and the mistakes from Gaffaney. How on earth do you miss a front foot no ball that was that far over. It would be very hard to stomach for Windies fans. Gayle could have easily taken that game from us. Happy to take the W though and move on though.
Overall it was one of the worst umpiring displays I've ever seen, that LB they gave that was missing leg by a foot being the highlight along with the NB, neither umpire should be given another game and be banished to umpire women's cricket.

Geez how salty was Holding all through that match.

Overrated commentator just because of his smooth accent.

He's always displayed too much bias in commentary. Almost as bad as Jono Brown and Paul Roos in commentary last week.

No I think it’s got to be either whole or half-ball from memory
Probably half. A bit silly if you ask me. That sort of amount was what the umpires call was brought in for.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Holding is a serial sook, his hate of Australia seems to disengage his running gear.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
SMarsh has to come into this team. Probably our best performed ODI bat over the past 2 years with an average over 50, striking at close to a run a ball and more hundreds than anyone. What in gods name were the selectors thinking?

Last edited:

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Overall it was one of the worst umpiring displays I've ever seen, that LB they gave that was missing leg by a foot being the highlight along with the NB, neither umpire should be given another game and be banished to umpire women's cricket.

In real time it did look closer and the ball appeared to hit his back leg but the replay did clearly showed it hit his front leg and was a shocker.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting match. Coulter-Nile MOTM. Marsh might come in for Khawaja next game, Ricky Ponting will not like a number three who panics after getting bounced.

It was a shocking response to the short pitch bowling. KOK spent the whole pre-game saying it was going to happen. How can they not have been prepared for it. They can only bowl one an over you idiots.

Brilliant Aussies,couldn’t help myself,snuck kayo on the ipad in bed and saw Starc get a few late.

Brilliant win,we had no right to win that a few times but that’s what the Aussie team does,keeps fighting with mental steel to get the win,one of our best.

Commentators were salty last night especially Holding.

Spursfan

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Great game , I haven't enjoyed an ODI that much since last world cup perhaps. Both teams gain ascendancy at times whilst the other fought to take it back. Super individual efforts from Starc , NCN. Would love to see these two play again in a semi final, final.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco

Hope was scoring at an OK rate towards the end of the innings but he got himself out at the wrong time and also ran out Hetmyer at a bad time too.

Most of the WI batsmen got themselves out just when they looked to be getting on top and that invited Australia back into the game.

Andre Russell was one of the worst offenders, trying to slog Starc when he just needed to see him off and attack the other bowlers.

There was some good bowling at times but a more experienced, composed batting line up would have chased that total down comfortably.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Even worse with the Russell bonehead shot was it looked like his captain Holder had a bit of a quiet word to him about 3 balls earlier.

It was very silly. Holder is composed enough to steer a side home from that spot, Russell just needed to put away the rubbish from what I’ve seen and we would have been safe. Real disappointing

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Hope was scoring at an OK rate towards the end of the innings but he got himself out at the wrong time and also ran out Hetmyer at a bad time too.

Most of the WI batsmen got themselves out just when they looked to be getting on top and that invited Australia back into the game.

Andre Russell was one of the worst offenders, trying to slog Starc when he just needed to see him off and attack the other bowlers.

There was some good bowling at times but a more experienced, composed batting line up would have chased that total down comfortably.

Pretty much sums it up

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
It was pretty poor batting at times from both sides, I mean windies bowled very well early but four of the first five still basically gifted them their wickets.

Games like though just make Smith look even better just calm and clear headed while the other batsman panic over a few well directed short balls.

Back