A-league 2019/20 Off Season Thread - News, Rumors, Signings etc..

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Veteran Eriksson puts hand up for Victory job | The World Game

Sources in China, where the globe-trotting 71-year-old Swede was last spotted, have confirmed his interest in succeeding Kevin Muscat, who ended his 14-year association with Victory after last month’s 6-1 A-League semi-final loss to Sydney FC.
It’s understood he was also offered to Wellington Phoenix and Adelaide United but neither could match his wage expectations.
Eriksson, who took England to two FIFA World Cup quarter-finals, has been unemployed since his last assignment with the Philippines at January’s AFC Asian Cup.
They failed to progress from the group stage - losing all three games.
He immediately sought to parachute into the Roar hot-seat following the exit of John Aloisi but lost out to Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler.
Having also managed Ivory Coast and Mexico, Eriksson was linked with the Socceroos job after Ange Postecoglou’s resignation in 2017.
He has knowledge of Victory, having coached against them while in charge of Shanghai SIPG back in 2016.
It’s understood that contrary to reports bracketing them with Aloisi, Victory intend to appoint a foreign coach.
But the chosen one is more likely to be a hungry up-and-comer than an Eriksson-type figure, whose golden clipboard years appear firmly behind him.
His scroll of clubs includes Benfica, Roma, Fiorentina, Sampdoria, Lazio, Manchester City and Leicester City. He was also football director at Notts Country.
In China alone he was in charge of SIPG, Shenzhen and Guangzhou R&F.
Eriksson was mentioned as candidate for the Scotland national team job in April but denied ever applying.
Despite his miles on the clock, Eriksson appears ill inclined to depart the stage in the immediate future.
"I don't need to work if I don't want to do it, for money," he told the BBC earlier this year.
"But I need for my head to work ... going pension, doing nothing with has nothing to do with football, I don't like that kind of life.
"I would get nervous, restless, and that's really bad because one day it will finish but I will hate that time, really.
Football is part of my life and has became a huge drug in my life. I'm addicted."
Both his Australian-based representative and Melbourne Victory were approached for comment.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/vet...ZfD8BGYxH4hi9aOc6ArSiJxQUMt8ZvOMvYWa6gYHOcXvQ

Term used loosely I hope.

A marquee ??

Couldn't be right. I can't see him attracting more fans through the gates.

Statement by Melbourne Victory:

Melbourne Victory today confirms that Kosta Barbarouses will part ways with the Club after confirming his intentions to explore other opportunities.

The Club worked with the New Zealand International to retain his services, however Barbarouses, 29, declined the offer.

Barbarouses finishes his second stint at Victory with 161 appearances and 51 goals across all competitions, having represented the Club between 2013-2016 before returning again ahead of the 2017/18 season.

Notable accomplishments during his time with the Club include the historic domestic treble season in 2014/15 where the attacker was part of each of the Hyundai A-League Premiership, Championship and FFA Cup title sides, and scoring the winning goal in the 2017/18 A-League Grand Final against Newcastle Jets to secure a fourth Championship for the Club.

“Kosta has not only been a terrific servant to Melbourne Victory over his two stints with the Club, but also a great individual both on and off the field,” said GM Football Operations Paul Trimboli.

“We put forward an offer to keep Kosta here as we build towards our next chapter as a club, however he unfortunately declined this offer.

“As a Club, we thank Kosta for his contributions to our success in recent seasons and wish him well in his future endeavours.”

https://www.melbournevictory.com.au/news/kosta-barbarouses-parts-ways-melbourne-victory

Sucks he's leaving sounds more like Kosta didn't want to hang around either.

Surely not as marquee, even 3 years is a lot.

campaigner of a move going to the scum! But if he's rinsing them dry on Marquee funds its all on them wasting their money good move imo lol. Hard to Believe Sydney would give him Marquee status through. where's this rumor come from?

Bit of a slap in the face (to himself) if he goes there under the cap. Must have been a reality check when his agent tried to shop him around in Asia and no club was willing to pay as much as an A League team under the cap.

Ouch.

campaigner of a move going to the scum! But if he's rinsing them dry on Marquee funds its all on them wasting their money good move imo lol. Hard to Believe Sydney would give him Marquee status through. where's this rumor come from?

Well Gatty for one. We'll find out very soon, I'll wait until it's confirmed to believe it though.

Thats a large waste of coin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read $800k a year somewhere today - at that price, he could I guess fit under the cap, but it'd be a massive percentage of it.

On the flipside though, you'd hope the big clubs are looking to pay more than $800k a year for a marquee, and looking harder for someone that's going to put some arses on seats.

Well it's official! Despite the reports the signing doesn't apear to be a marquee one.

New Zealand footballer Kosta Barbarouses has signed with Sydney FC after departing A-League rivals Melbourne Victory.

The A-League club announced on Friday the 29-year-old forward would be joining the Sky Blues from the 2019-20 season.
"He's very fast, he scores goals. I think he's going to be very exciting for our fans to watch as well," head coach Steve Corica said.
Barbarouses had two stints with the Victory, making 161 appearances and scoring 51 goals across 2013-16 and 2017-19.

The off-contract New Zealand international had been eyeing a move to Asia - the likes of the J1 League or the K-League - but a suitable taker could not be found.

This paved the way for the Sky Blues to swoop, with a deal set to be finalised in the coming days, Fairfax reports.
Despite Victory coming close to matching Sydney’s offer, it’s understood the length of the contract dangled by the Sky Blues was the deciding factor for the 29-year-old.
Barbarouses is coming off a stellar year for Victory - his 15 goals making him the club’s top scorer.
His move to the newly-crowned A-League champions will only intensify the already well entrenched hostilities between the two adversaries.
Barbarouses was in his second spell at the club and switched from the wing to a more orthodox role through the middle last season, to great effect.
Despite earlier reports by goal.com that Barbarouses is set for a marquee deal, the Kiwi striker is set to be accommodated within the salary cap.
He is earmarked to replace Iran international striker Reza Ghoochannejhad who has completed his loan spell from Cypriot side APOEL.
Barbarouses’ management declined to comment when contacted by The World

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/bar...8oOvOtu-0riK12UDEmeIEr_jIhQbIWa-xaMmVvuIEOU0Q

Notwithstanding the extent to which the rule change benefits Sydney, I'm so glad they've made the change. I've wanted something similar for a while now - a mechanism that provides some continuity for clubs and fans, and may put some focus on giving new, younger players an opportunity rather than this constant merry-go-round for C-graders. Sometimes they turn out to be Kenny Athieu, but occasionally they turn out to be Elvis Kambosa.

I'm shocked to be in favour of something that the A-League has done!

Notwithstanding the extent to which the rule change benefits Sydney, I'm so glad they've made this rule change. I've wanted something similar for a while now - a mechanism that provides some continuity for clubs and fans, and may put some focus on giving new, younger players a go rather than this constant merry-go-round for C-graders.

I'm shocked to be in favour of something that the A-League has done!

I was actually awaiting outrage lol.

It needed to be done.
So many good teams butchered because they couldn't hang onto players that wanted to stay let alone the youth side of things.

I was actually awaiting outrage lol.

It needed to be done.
So many good teams butchered because they couldn't hang onto players that wanted to stay let alone the youth side of things.

The one concern I have is whether it results in the big clubs getting better and the small clubs struggling more. The CCMs of the league already so much trouble keeping players - if they can't hold onto good talent for 4 years to take advantage of the rule, it puts them at a disadvantage to the big clubs who have more luck holding onto good players.

On the flipside of that though - maybe this rule allows them to offer those guys more as they're going into their 3rd and 4th year to try and keep them.

In saying all this, it's a bit of a bummer that we have to consider the extent to which any rule change - even good ones - are going to penalise or benefit Central Coast or Wellington. But we're still at that point, because we aren't in a position to let such clubs fall over (much as the FFA are death-riding the Nux.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back