List Mgmt. 2019/20 Trade/Delist/Re-sign Predictions/Opinion (now with TRADE RADIO)

Remove this Banner Ad

If JJ can stay in the ones he may have trade value but then again if we let him go who is capable of taking his spot, the others mentioned Jacobs Otten Douglas Mackay would have to walk due to their age, Davis would just be cut, Poholkoke is probably worth persisting with Kelly having a reasonably good year very durable and how many KPD's have we got once Otten is cut

So you could get rid of 5 of them for nothing, Mackay should probably be retained is showing his worth this year
Once you resign McKay you need to play him. You play him, you stop a young player getting a game. Its about time we tried someone else in DMac's spot to see how they go.

I cant believe I am reading this. Cam has been a massive positive the last half dozen games (imho our best mid) and you are happy to let him go at seasons end to save a cap space from rookie wages. Cam would get snapped up in a flash on recent form.

Cam has been a positive, sure, however that's ignoring the massive issue we face with Cam. He's been nothing more then a depth piece who is having a career year, and yes, I would be happy to let him go without a second though because it is the much better option.

Poor cap management destroys teams, and guess what overpaying depth pieces is poor cap management. We know Cam will end up being depth because he isn't better then Greenwood, and he certainly isn't better then Matt Crouch (and we have a much bigger issue on our hands if he is seeing how much money we're paying Matt), and no side can afford to run a side long term that has close too half of its midfield core being treacle like slow. Same principle as to why we couldn't afford to have Thommo, Matt Crouch and Lyons in our midfield core long term as well.

You can bash a poor team into submission. A good team will cut you to pieces because you've tried that.

There’s no business case you could possibly put up for trading him and for it to make any sense at all.

Drafted in 2011, we have racked up into our 8th year of investing into his development and the $$ for his list spot.

We’ve supported him through a knee recon (might even be 2 can’t recall).

So after 8 years of being in the loss column, he finally secures a spot in the side and is playing good football, and you think we trade him for what...a 2nd maybe?

There’s just no logic to that whatsoever

So you expect us to go in with what, 3 slow as * inside midfielders with two of them having no versatility whatsoever? Especially factoring in that speed is becoming more and more important to a team being successful. Surely this is a lesson that we learned last year that no, bad idea, it doesn't work.

We've had Cam on list for what, 8 years (and no, this has never been in the loss column either, to even get a reliable depth piece out of a pick 60 is a massive win) and in that time there has never been a point where he's been a best 22 piece. We've never set him up to be a best 22 piece either so that faith you've mentioned hasn't been there. He sits in the same situation Otten exists in, good clubmen, useful depth who can do a role when injuries hit but will inevitably be phased out when better options are available as he completely messes up our squad balance. We saw it last year when CEY went hot last season, yet ended the season on the outer. We'll see it happen this season too because there will come a point where we simply cannot afford the negatives it causes by being too slow, and this is the most vulnerable piece (as Greenwood has versitility, and Matt Crouch is a much better player).

If you gave me a 2nd rounder for CEY, i'd take it and run without a second thought. There is no future for him here, outside of just being useful depth, and CEY has performed to the point where keeping him as useful depth will harm us.

Poholke is the obvious one to trade. Would be perfect for a side like Essendon that is lacking big-bodied, goalkicking mids.

I'd also be looking to move Atkins on. Tired of him letting us down in key moments and his kicking is massively overrated. Scholl is one who could replace him on the wing.

I wouldn’t be trading Poholke, his value is at an all time low but he’s starting to show stronger signs. Would like to see him get more time in the midfield AFL level.

What do we think CEY is worth in terms of salary?

300k as a UFA, which is about 100, maybe even 150k more then the maximum I'd offer for him.

Not a lot of salary, but enough to be truly uncomfortable for a player like this who is really in no mans land on our list.

Last edited:

“I’ve made it clear that I want to say in Adelaide and my intentions are to stay in Adelaide, but at this stage there hasn’t been any sit downs since January so it’s a bit of a different circumstance and hopefully things work themselves out.
“When we sat down in January everything was quite positive, they made it clear I was wanted and their intention was for me to stick around, spending a few weeks in the SANFL I don’t know if that had a huge impact or not, but I’m back in the team and I feel that when I’m playing my best footy I’m in the best 22.
“I’m not trying to make it a circus or anything, obviously when you spend time in the SANFL the first few weeks things float around and it’s a bit ‘what’s your plan?’, but we have made it clear we want to stay in Adelaide.
“But at the same time it’s getting to a stage where I’m 27, 28, so I’ve got to think about signing something long term and look at my career post-footy.
“Adelaide is a place we are happy, we love the footy club and ideally we finish here.”

Geez, get on it Reidy.

There’s no business case you could possibly put up for trading him and for it to make any sense at all.

Drafted in 2011, we have racked up into our 8th year of investing into his development and the $$ for his list spot.

We’ve supported him through a knee recon (might even be 2 can’t recall).

So after 8 years of being in the loss column, he finally secures a spot in the side and is playing good football, and you think we trade him for what...a 2nd maybe?

There’s just no logic to that whatsoever
Do you think CEY, M Crouch and Greenwood can all be part of the same midfield rotation?

Edit - well, clearly they can. They are now. But can they in a top four contending team?

No Greenwood contract offer yet...

Do you think CEY, M Crouch and Greenwood can all be part of the same midfield rotation?

Edit - well, clearly they can. They are now. But can they in a top four contending team?

I think they can if we continue with the same game plan that got us back up and running this year.

It’s as though there was a lightbulb moment down there “ hey let’s look at who we’ve actually got and work a game plan that matches those strengths”

So we see a game style which is very reliant on heavy congestion and winning contest by contest and steadily marching to ball down the ground- a Sydney style.

CEY and Greenwood have been important in making that work. If we can’t get the game on our terms then yes we look slow as we did Saturday. But I’m getting the feeling we are not easy to play against for 4 quarters. We just keep grinding away, not pretty.

On that basis yes I think we can have them all, and in fact very much need them all.

I think the other thing it’s done is to make Matt a little more outside. Less clearances but improved kicking and constructive play just off the contest.

I don't think they can. I actually feel there's going to be a shift away from having too many slow, big bodied mids. We saw first hand how the short people of Lachie Neal and Dayne Zorko tore our bigger bodied midfield to shreds.

In a game where finding space is such a premium with ultra congestion, guys who can zip in and out of traffic will be increasingly valuable, whilst I think these same players are focusing heavily on how to bring down the big guys like a Cripps, Dangerfield, Martin, Bontempelli or Fyfe. At the end of the day there'll be a balance required, but I'm not sure there's room in a fit side for CEY going forward. Guys like Gallucci, Jones and McHenry will be prioritised to link with Matt Crouch and Greenwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of contract players

View attachment 688276
Pretty sure Stengle got a 3 year deal when he came to us. Out of that list i'd probably go

3 years to Keath
1 year to Davis
3 years to Greenwood
2 years to Murphy
3 years to O'Brien
1 year to Butts on the rookie list

Trade Kelly and Knight, CEY i'd want to keep if he got a small deal, but he's a UFA and playing well, so would be hard to get him there.

Yes they definitely can.

I believe we should play Greenwood as more of a forward and bring him into the midfield at strategic points in a match, very similar to how Clarkson has in the past thrown Burguyone into the midfield at key points in the game. This move has often turned games for the Hawks which I think Hugh is capable of in spurts.

He clearly doesn't have great endurance and is most effective in close in the trenches.

If we play to his strengths he can be real weapon. So the real question is how do we change our forward setup to accommodate Hugh. I think there 2 options:

1. He takes Murphy's role in which case I'd also add a smaller half forward like milera/mchendry/Jones/McAdams to the mix, otherwise we may be too top heavy.

2. He takes Tom Lynch half forward role and I'd push Lynch to the wing. Lynch has pretty much been our most effective wingman without actually being a wingman anyway.

These roles obviously rotate during a game anyway so it doesn't really matter where he everyone starts, getting into that forward rotation is key though.

The Crows are committed to holding onto Keath and he’s said to be happy in South Australia, but it’s understood they are expecting interest among rival clubs unless they can lock the left-footer down in the coming weeks.

North Melbourne and St Kilda have been fans of the athletic defender in the past and the Saints were especially keen to sign him as a Category B rookie in 2015 before the Crows presented a unique and flexible deal.

Keath’s trade value is an intriguing proposition. Having played just 23 matches, he’s at the start of his career in some respects.

But given he will be 28 by the start of next season and is in All-Australian contention this year, industry sources suggested he could command as much as $600,000 in 2020 and maybe even more if his form continues.

He’s well liked by his teammates and coaches, with one Crows insider declaring he’s never seen a more selfless and modest operator.

It’s believed reshaping Melbourne’s defence is high on the club’s priority list for next season, as demonstrated by the bold move to reintroduce Jake Lever and Steven May to the senior fold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back