All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

My understanding is that the the ABC/Age investigated and reported. The Army then came out and said they would conduct an internal review.

I wonder why they didn't do it before it came out in the press?

Nothing more has been released to date.

That's not what it says in the article, it just says the incidents are under investigation as they should be.

That's not what it says in the article, it just says the incidents are under investigation as they should be.
I read it another article. The point remains why they didn't start the inquiry before it was reported by the media.

I suppose that is why some members of the public start thinking 'cover up'.

There’s an old saying, once you introduce Hitler into the argument, you’ve lost the argument.

As a general rule his writing was dreadful ramblings, poor structure etc.
Besides being crazy weird.

Last edited:
Just shows the Pollies are just there for THEMSELVES
Like most of us.

To me, as long as they are not more greedy than the next person, no qualms.

For what it’s worth, the Prime Minister is under paid. Yes there are benefits but $500 k for such a job (and non stop brick bats) is to low in my view.

Interestingly in the USA the President gets about $400 k pa (and expenses etc) and the salary is set in stone for the period of the term.

My understanding is Trump doesn’t take any salary bar $1 but who knows how true that is.
Some presidents have taken no salary as it were, but it’s not a publicity matter so whoever follows isn’t forced to follow the practice. Not every president is rich, though usually they are.

In that case, you will just have to accept the things done to you by Politicians
That is true.

Though being in political party I’m guessing the biggest enemies you face are your fellow members.

Nasty business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is true.

Though being in political party I’m guessing the biggest enemies you face are your fellow members.

Nasty business.
That is true.
But if you want to change the country you have to start somewhere. And the party political machine sets you up to take on the opposition that you will encounter in the greater world.

What a great theory.
I think though only those who are losing the argument would invoke it.
If you read the words in the pic that was posted then it’s hard to disagree that the method described has been used in many countries over many centuries.
And now we are seeing small elements starting to creep into our society.

What a great theory.
I think though only those who are losing the argument would invoke it.
If you read the words in the pic that was posted then it’s hard to disagree that the method described has been used in many countries over many centuries.
And now we are seeing small elements starting to creep into our society.
The guy example used, Way way way to extreme, and our society is nothing like that.

I have never heard that saying in my long life, ever!
It’s evolved from the internet arguments.

It’s really an expression indicating that things have gone to far.

It’s evolved from the internet arguments.

It’s really an expression indicating that things have gone to far.
But that is what I am telling you, never heard it as an expression nor as a saying.
Have heard of introducing a 'strawman' or 'whataboutism' but never what you posted.
Think you may have made it up.;):D

But that is what I am telling you, never heard it as an expression nor as a saying.
Have heard of introducing a 'strawman' or 'whataboutism' but never what you posted.
Think you may have made it up.;):D
I should be so smart as to make such things as a saying.

(see post above 455 Godwins Law)

I should be so smart as to make such things as a saying.

(see post above 455 Godwins Law)
Firstly it is a misquote - I believe Hitler didn't say that.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hitler-control-quote/

Secondly, I think if you take in the sentiment behind that quote, it is a concern of where Australia is heading with all the secrecy laws.

Too much power in the government... irrespective of who is in power at any time.

I read/or heard that we are the most regulated country with these laws.

Firstly it is a misquote - I believe Hitler didn't say that.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hitler-control-quote/

Secondly, I think if you take in the sentiment behind that quote, it is a concern of where Australia is heading with all the secrecy laws.

Too much power in the government... irrespective of who is in power at any time.

I read/or heard that we are the most regulated country with these laws.
All valid points.

I guess saying Australia is anyway comparable to one of history’s ugliest regimes isn’t really cricket.

So....
The AFP raid a journalist’s home, and then the ABC offices, to track down those who leaked documents. Documents that put our Government and it’s actions in a bad light.
But then they do this?
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...lassified-medevac-advice-20190607-p51vir.html
And because they reckon they couldn’t track the leak?
Yet a journo published a story on the back of a whistleblower and they could have done exactly the same as they did a few days ago.
Those who think that this attack on our press freedom isn’t coming from our elected officials is living in la la land.
We are sitting on a tipping point in our history.
What are you going to do about it?

That is true.
But if you want to change the country you have to start somewhere. And the party political machine sets you up to take on the opposition that you will encounter in the greater world.
Its actually ridiculously easy to set up your own political party and get your candidates and party on the voting ticket in whatever and however many electorates you care to have someone stand. All you need is 500 members on the electoral role and pay your $500 and shazam, youre on the ballot. I reckon we'd easily be able to scrounge up 500 party faithful just out of this forum. And given the convoluted preference voting scheme we'd likely get a couple MPs elected too 😂

Its actually ridiculously easy to set up your own political party and get your candidates and party on the voting ticket in whatever and however many electorates you care to have someone stand. All you need is 500 members on the electoral role and pay your $500 and shazam, youre on the ballot. I reckon we'd easily be able to scrounge up 500 party faithful just out of this forum. And given the convoluted preference voting scheme we'd likely get a couple MPs elected too 😂
Only into the senate or a state upper house.

Though the 6 numbers over the line or min 12 below the line quashes the micro parties pathway (makes it harder).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back