Not open for further replies.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Ratten Facts

I put these together just to answer a few queries that have been put forward regarding Ratts coaching abilities, as well as a few other pertinent facts for your enjoyment.
It is mostly from 2011 but I am happy to try and pull up data from other seasons if people have specific questions.

Coaching Record at Carlton
Legend
W Wins L Losses D Draws W% Winning percentage LP Ladder position LT League teams
Season Team Games W L D W % LP LT
2007* Carlton 6 0 6 0 0.0% 15 16
2008 Carlton 22 10 12 0 45.5% 11 16
2009 Carlton 23 13 10 0 56.5% 7 16
2010 Carlton 23 11 12 0 47.8% 8 16
2011 Carlton 24 15 8 1 64.6% 5 17
2012 Carlton 22 11 11 0 50.0% 10 18
Career totals 120 60 59 1 50.4%
* = Caretaker coach

* Carlton's home and away record of 14–7–1 was its best since 2000.
* Carlton's home and away season placing of 5th was its best since 2001.
* Carlton's final placing of 5th was its best since 2000.
* Carlton conceded only 1700 points in the home and away season, its fewest since 1976.

I guess Ratten’s defensive abilities aren’t quite as bad as people remember especially considering the defenders he had to work with. This fact is shown multiple times in this list of relevant facts.

* Carlton's percentage of 130.88 was its best since 2000.

The origin of the Richmond and Pies Game Style follows in this list of our leading goal kickers for 2011.

Player Goals Behinds Coleman[48]
Andrew Walker 56 27 7th
Eddie Betts 50 22 10th
Jeff Garlett 48 32 13th
Marc Murphy 22 13
Bryce Gibbs 21 18
Kade Simpson 17 18
Jarrad Waite 16 19
David Ellard 15 7
Chris Judd 14 16
Bret Thornton 13 8

* Round 3 – the attendance of 88,181 at the Carlton vs Collingwood match was the highest ever for a home-and-away match between the two teams, and was the second-highest for a Carlton home-and-away match against any opponent.[51]
* Round 6 – Carlton's win against Sydney at the S.C.G. was its first win in Sydney since Round 7, 1993, breaking a losing streak of ten matches (seven matches at the S.C.G. and three matches at ANZ Stadium).[52]
* Round 10 – Melbourne's score of 6.10 (46) was the lowest score conceded by Carlton in any game since Round 5, 2004.[53]
* Round 11 - Carlton held Port Adelaide scoreless in the final quarter, the first time since Round 19, 1999 that Carlton had kept a team scoreless for a quarter of football.[53]
* Round 15 – Carlton's score of 28.16 (184) against Richmond was its highest in any game since Round 17, 1998,[49] and its highest ever in any game against Richmond, breaking the previous record of 28.9 (177) set in the 1972 VFL Grand Final.[49]
* Round 15 – Carlton's score in the second half, 17.9 (111), was its highest in a half of any game since Round 18, 2000.[50]
* First Elimination Final – Carlton's win against Essendon was its first win in a finals match since the First Elimination Final, 2001, on 8 September 2001, a drought of ten years, three days. The club featured in three losing finals during the drought.[54]
* First Elimination Final – the attendance of 90,161 was a new record for the highest in VFL/AFL history for an Elimination Final;[54] this record was surpassed in 2013.[55]

We beat Essendon in the Elimination Final by 62 points.

Unfortunately but gallantly we lost the First Semi Final to West Coast in WA by 3 points.
Magnificent homework Murph
He always had a tremendous football IQ Horrendous decision to move him on in the first place
Clarkson then Lyon are the two best unavailable coaches
Ratts having experienced time under Hawthorn/Clarkson and his obvious influence with StKida this year makes him a serious contender..

Blues177

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

1559911383487.png

Blues177

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
If not Ratten I would be happy for Teague to get the job if we win a few games; he was a good clubman when he won the best & fairest in 2004 and speaks well.

Clarkson is Hawthorn through and through and looks like he wants to surpass Sheedy's coaching time at Essendon.

jezza25

All Australian
Oct 2, 2008
Torquay
AFL Club
Carlton
Would be absolutely gutted if Murph was asked to move on.

I know I'm biased because he was my favourite player for so many years. Pretty much since his first season. But I feel like he still has so much more he can contribute.

He doesn't need to be in and under, racking up 30 touches a game anymore. Put him on a wing, or in the forward pocket and give him free reign to do as he pleases. I refuse to believe he wouldn't add value in that capacity.

In any case, Murph and Simmo better be given heroes send offs when their time does come.

/emotional rant
He’s cooked unfortunately and his disposal is terrible. Time to hang them up IMO

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
So for those that called for Bolton’s sacking - after watching 1st quarter v Lions it is evident he was not the problem. Getting rid of him has destabilised the club again. We are so far behind the rest of the competition it is just not funny. We will finish last for the next 2 years at least in my opinion and Cripps will leave. He is the only one with self belief. I believe the talent is there but the whole club is full of very weak leadership. MLG must go as he would be a good president for the Nagambie FC, but not an afl club. We need to bring in people who have been involved in success in footy teams. Right now it’s a serious basket case and although I was positive under Bolton - getting rid of him was not the answer and will set us back another 3 years.

Bokan

All Australian
Dec 21, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
So for those that called for Bolton’s sacking - after watching 1st quarter v Lions it is evident he was not the problem. Getting rid of him has destabilised the club again. We are so far behind the rest of the competition it is just not funny. We will finish last for the next 2 years at least in my opinion and Cripps will leave. He is the only one with self belief. I believe the talent is there but the whole club is full of very weak leadership. MLG must go as he would be a good president for the Nagambie FC, but not an afl club. We need to bring in people who have been involved in success in footy teams. Right now it’s a serious basket case and although I was positive under Bolton - getting rid of him was not the answer and will set us back another 3 years.

Personally I don't think you know what you're talking about, but ok

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Flying Doormat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2008
Carrickalinga
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tranmere Rovers
Soooo,
we're now 10 points up. Does that justify the sacking and indicate Bolton was the problem?
Methinks you went off a little early.

dlb99

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

This post has not aged well.

Do you still feel that way now?

The Flying Doormat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2008
Carrickalinga
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tranmere Rovers
Teague did himself no harm in that audition, well done David
I have this theory. The free flowing games where we won or ran the opposition close was a Teague trademark. The stodgy, hopeless losses were more the Bolton influence, be it a deliberate development plan, lack of player buy in or just incompetence on the coach's part.
Teague is no mug, he is at least the equal of any other 'assistant' coach looking for the senior gig.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I have this theory. The free flowing games where we won or ran the opposition close was a Teague trademark. The stodgy, hopeless losses were more the Bolton influence, be it a deliberate development plan, lack of player buy in or just incompetence on the coach's part.
Teague is no mug, he is at least the equal of any other 'assistant' coach looking for the senior gig.

You know my thoughts on coaches, just can't wait for this squad to mature, the rest will make history

Bobmonkey

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
They'll let anyone on the internet these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back