Preview Rnd 12 - Carlton v Brisbane Sat 8th June 1.45PM @ Etihad - Team Post #319 *Stocker injured, not dropped

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Because Teague is going to try him in a new position which better suits his strengths which are running and his great left kick.

On the subject of playing a position to which one is suited, early career form, and referencing the great Doormat, above.

It's easy to forget that when Bruce started he was played on a wing, RR, HFF. He wore #4 which put him in the midst of Silvagni, Nichols, Hall, [cant remember] and Gary Crane when sitting at the lockers. All high profile stars. He was not comfortable, and spent a couple of seasons in and out of the ones. Not selected for the '70 triumph. Eventually Barassi offered him a spot on the hbf and a change to #11 (with the retirement of Ragsy Gould) and he found his feet out of the spotlight and with a job to do.

Greatness ensued. Has there been a 'best ever' team picked by anyone since his retirement which did not have B. Doull on the hbf?

Few remember that both Doull and Southby were played as forwards mid career with very sketchy results. Greats of the backline playing out of position.

Cut the kids some slack folks. It's a mugs caper trying to predict the future, which is essentially the recruitment departments job. Some with potential greatness will be burned through mismanagement or poor habits. Some just need an environment in which to thrive. Some are just not the footballers the recruiters thought they may become. Some recruits need to find their niche.

Bruce found his, and we are all grateful to have either seen him play or at least seen footage.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
On the subject of playing a position to which one is suited, early career form, and referencing the great Doormat, above.

It's easy to forget that when Bruce started he was played on a wing, RR, HFF. He wore #4 which put him in the midst of Silvagni, Nichols, Hall, [cant remember] and Gary Crane when sitting at the lockers. All high profile stars. He was not comfortable, and spent a couple of seasons in and out of the ones. Not selected for the '70 triumph. Eventually Barassi offered him a spot on the hbf and a change to #11 (with the retirement of Ragsy Gould) and he found his feet out of the spotlight and with a job to do.

Greatness ensued. Has there been a 'best ever' team picked by anyone since his retirement which did not have B. Doull on the hbf?

Few remember that both Doull and Southby were played as forwards mid career with very sketchy results. Greats of the backline playing out of position.

Cut the kids some slack folks. It's a mugs caper trying to predict the future, which is essentially the recruitment departments job. Some with potential greatness will be burned through mismanagement or poor habits. Some just need n environment in which to thrive. Some are just not the footballers the recruiters thought they may become. Some recruits need to find their niche.

Bruce found his, and we are all grateful to have either seen him play or at least seen footage.
Great and wise words my learned friend.
I do remember it well. And many other experiments along the way. There is so much more to it than the obvious.

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I do believe Southby basically begged to be tried at full forward. And it was an abject failure. At least thats the popular story.

Not sure about FF. I remember Southby playing at CHF and being useless. My best full back I've seen. (SOS best utility) Out of his depth trying to make the play. Outstanding at negating the attacks of the opposition. Useless at copping a Balme fist to the jaw. I remember Doull playing at CHF for almost zero result.

Ken Hunter won a goal kicking award mid eighties, but better suited behind the ball. Came to the big league as a 21yo, developed player. Just got inducted to the hall of fame. So he should

How can we know, how can anyone know, what a callow 17yo is going to become? Work ethic, attitude, coaches, intellect, structure and CULTURE are the big ticket items. Talent is a requirement, as is athletic ability, but there have been countless foot soldiers in the football world who have played 80, 120, 170 games through effort, tidiness and (as they have it these days) 'playing his role'. Barry Gill? Mario Bortolotto? Countless names which will come as we reminisce. A great side needs 4- 5 champions and 17 or 18 good soldiers. The more champions is not always the better. (ask collingwood)

My biggest concern is Carton has lost CULTURE. Instilled by Barassi, embodied by the larrikins (Maclure, Buckley,et al), work hard, play hard. WIN.

I wouldn't mind backing our on ballers in against theirs, tipping Cripps to have an enormous game after last week. I wouldn't mind seeing Ed bully McCluggage for the day, he's been a seriously damaging player on the outside for them this year.

Something intriguing about Teague's role compared other interim coaches is that there's no need to tank this year, we've already traded our pick away. Compare that to Ratten or Barker with what was at stake plus many from other clubs and if a new coach took over they were usually there to help get as low a draft pick as possible. Teague is one of the very few that will have licence to get the best out of the players.
Insightful post Sin

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
McKay and Polson both entered the club with long locks. Looked far more grown up and tougher the moment they went the short back and sides.

I reckon LOB will follow suit soon ;)
This is why I grow my hair long. I don't need to look any more grown up than what I am.

GoBlues!

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Every time Kruez, Caz and Marchbank take a mark he needs to be running past for the handball receive to take the kick forward. Get the ball out of the hands of the bad users and into the hands of the good kicks. How hard can that be for a running machine like LOB.
Not too hard at all, as long as guys like Marchbank don’t just mark the ball and then sit on it thinking about what to do next...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 21, 2009
The Superego’s Palace
AFL Club
Carlton
So excited for today that I couldn’t sleep, and I heard the dog spewing in the lounge room so I got out of bed quick sticks.

Expectations and things I’d like to see or not to see today

1. As much manic pressure as we can possibly muster.

2. Tackle hard, make em stick and make sure they know they have been tackled.

3. No kicking long to a small forward with 4 defenders on him.

4. McGovern out of the square.

5. H patrolling the 50m arc.

6. Charlie up and back blowing up his opponent ala N Reevolt style. Hopefully it’s Andrews.

7. Cuningham to get a few more centre bounce attendances.

8. Use the corridor ffs

9. Hit your targets ffs

10. No hospital handballs ffs. And

11. Kick more goals than them ffs.

Let’s go BAGGERS!

P.s The dog is fine, he wasn’t spewing just had something stuck in his throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back