TAS Tassie... happening?

Remove this Banner Ad

The last time I checked a Tasmanian devil was a animal nothing like a demon why would Melbourne want to block it 😀
yes i get that, the mascot would be a little angry critter. But the term Devils might irk them. or maybe not. Clubs have been irks by less.

hang ten dudes.. devils are always counted in the ten most popular Tassie reprehensible and enigmatical slow riders

biting and hairy and rude and cute as all get out...

Broadcasters would be happy... to pay a fraction of what they currently pay for tv rights. Your solution means 27 less matches including a lot of marquee money-makers. The value of sponsorship would plummet. Revenue from membership and gate receipts would take a huge hit, and so on. Doesn't sound like expansion to me.

The consequences of having 4 less games for all clubs would be so devastating that there soon wouldn't be a league to join anyway. Unless, of course, the players are willing to take massive paycuts. Think the AFLPA are dogged about workloads? You ain't seen nothin' yet!

Those 27 games would be 4pm twilight games on Foxtel that nobody watches anyway.

We would still have the marquee Thursday/Friday night games, Saturday night FTA and Sunday FTA. Most weeks there would still be 9 games on as only 1 team is having the bye.

If Foxtel kick up a stink about having less games then maybe some of the prime time fixtures go their way? Carlton v Collingwood or Hawthorn vs Richmond at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon, exclusive to Foxtel.

It does sound better and most obvious but Richmond would block it, in fact, Tasmanian Devil's may well be blocked by Melbourne as being too similar to the Demons. They are essentially the same thing. The Bulldogs blocked the original design for GWS' colours. Collingwood obviously blocked Ports strip. I don't think the Tasmanian team will risk putting any existing club off side when they already would have their support.

If wanting to appeal to the local culture:

Tasmanian Cray's colours can be bottle green and maroon red, state colours) Savage looking creature for a mascot. Most mainlanders already think Tasmanianas are crazy anyway. And im sure everyone can already llok forward to the Freo V Tassie "Crayz take on the Hayze" headlines every year.

Tasmanian Mariners (green and yellow. again state colours. It is an Island and fishing and boating is a major part of Tassie culture.

Don't mind those, but didn't footy in Tassie recently merge all their state rep banners under the name Devils with a logo and colours and everything? I would think they would want a national representation of their team to keep it too?

Those 27 games would be 4pm twilight games on Foxtel that nobody watches anyway.

We would still have the marquee Thursday/Friday night games, Saturday night FTA and Sunday FTA. Most weeks there would still be 9 games on as only 1 team is having the bye.

If Foxtel kick up a stink about having less games then maybe some of the prime time fixtures go their way? Carlton v Collingwood or Hawthorn vs Richmond at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon, exclusive to Foxtel.
You said it yourself that there would still be 9 matches a week, twilight starts wouldn't be going anywhere (especially since it's a made-for-tv timeslot, as opposed to the lower rating and increasingly rare early arvo games).

It's not an issue of timeslots, it's an issue of volume. You're talking about going from having 2 Western derbies, 2 showdowns, 2 Coll v Rich games etc down to one of each. Any Tasmanian bid attached to that idea would instantly fail, be serious.

You said it yourself that there would still be 9 matches a week, twilight starts wouldn't be going anywhere (especially since it's a made-for-tv timeslot, as opposed to the lower rating and increasingly rare early arvo games).

It's not an issue of timeslots, it's an issue of volume. You're talking about going from having 2 Western derbies, 2 showdowns, 2 Coll v Rich games etc down to one of each. Any Tasmanian bid attached to that idea would instantly fail, be serious.

The alternative view would be that those games would draw an absolute premium because there is only one.

Those games would end up being promoted in the same vein as ANZAC Day or Queen's BDay.

Don't mind those, but didn't footy in Tassie recently merge all their state rep banners under the name Devils with a logo and colours and everything? I would think they would want a national representation of their team to keep it too?
They might have i'm not sure, i holiday there a bit as a Vic but i don't pay too much attention otherwise so wasn't aware of that. I think Tasmanian Devil's would be Ideal, being the States mascot and such. Was just throwing up alternatives.

Yea they did! Not doing too bad in the NAB League either

Tasmania_Devils_AFL_team_logo,_2018.jpg

I also found this cool retro mock up

images.png

So 100k combined members and you expect 70% to stay around after a merger? I think you're very optimistic, to say the least.
Well the club would still be located in Melbourne, it's not like Fitzroy where the supporters couldn't even goto their games anymore. Even if 50% stayed that would be a good outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does sound better and most obvious but Richmond would block it, in fact, Tasmanian Devil's may well be blocked by Melbourne as being too similar to the Demons. They are essentially the same thing. The Bulldogs blocked the original design for GWS' colours. Collingwood obviously blocked Ports strip. I don't think the Tasmanian team will risk putting any existing club off side when they already would have their support.

If wanting to appeal to the local culture:

Tasmanian Cray's colours can be bottle green and maroon red, state colours) Savage looking creature for a mascot. Most mainlanders already think Tasmanianas are crazy anyway. And im sure everyone can already llok forward to the Freo V Tassie "Crayz take on the Hayze" headlines every year.

Tasmanian Mariners (green and yellow. again state colours. It is an Island and fishing and boating is a major part of Tassie culture.
Uh... it was a joke. I was insinuating in a humorous manner that Richmond should relocate there haha

I dislike the Devils nickname, feels too similar to 'Demons'. Plenty of other nicknames to go by as well.

Uh... it was a joke. I was insinuating in a humorous manner that Richmond should relocate there haha

I dislike the Devils nickname, feels too similar to 'Demons'. Plenty of other nicknames to go by as well.
I understood what you meant just like you understood what i meant about Carlton relocating there initially. Not sure others were on the same page lol
Or even better if "Go North" relocates there.

Yea they did! Not doing too bad in the NAB League either

View attachment 687861

I also found this cool retro mock up

View attachment 687863

This was it. That would look both unique and comfortable amongst all the other teams logos. Already looks better than what half the teams in the comp are using.

They need that Devil to be in place of the Tassie map on the playing strip though. Would look like the Bulldogs strip with the profile dog head minus the strips.

Last edited:
They were both from a completely different time.
Easy access and the comp being as big as it is for some time.
Compared to opening up a state comp.

Wish them all the best though.

Ok then put forward your argument that the bulk of the Tas locals won't get behind it. Seriously they've been crying out for their own team since before the AFL inception.

As far as garnering local support my tip is a local team in the AFL would be a major success.

Ok then put forward your argument that the bulk of the Tas locals won't get behind it. Seriously they've been crying out for their own team since before the AFL inception.

As far as garnering local support my tip is a local team in the AFL would be a major success.
I'm saying that those who follow footy already have a team.
There will be allot that jump, but all or majority I don't think so.
They will be a success in the long run as young Tasmanians grow up with their own team though.

Disregard if mentioned plenty of times before but, "Tasmania Blues" has a good ring to it. Old dark navy blues might be relevant again!

Why do Victorians keep wanting to export failures? We had Fitzroy, we gave Hawthorn a golden handshake, lifeline to North, now you want send us another basket case. FO!

They will be a success in the long run as young Tasmanians grow up with their own team though.
It won’t matter whether people make Tassie their first team or second team. Local will still watch every game on TV, they will get full houses at every game V Vic clubs, and will buy memberships as that will be the only way to gain entry to those matches.

OK then why don't we ask a Tas footy fan who follows a team in the comp now. If Tas had their own team would you follow that new team and would you jump ship from your current team?

Why do you think teams like Ade, Freo and WC all had the majority of sa and wa fans jump on board? Because they love footy and want a representative team, just like the Tas locals do.

You're being naive if you don't think a local Tas team will gain mega traction.

OK then why don't we ask a Tas footy fan who follows a team in the comp now. If Tas had their own team would you follow that new team and would you jump ship from your current team?

Why do you think teams like Ade, Freo and WC all had the majority of sa and wa fans jump on board? Because they love footy and want a representative team, just like the Tas locals do.

You're being naive if you don't think a local Tas team will gain mega traction.
Well there is a good ******* chance that they would win a flag before the dees ever do. Just building a team out of thin air won't get a lot of folks to shift, but they'd definitely have them as their 2nd team.

The only way that a Tassie team can get fans is to grow; so what they're doing with putting a team back into the VFL is a good move (as long as no ******* team takes them over like we saw in the 2000s), and they make sure the Tassie u18s is a permanent. There needs to be rock solid financial support to stop the same thing happening - if they can't maintain a u18 and VFL program, then really...

Get growth, get pride and then you've got a shot at bringing supporters over - and then end the "tourism" bs with other clubs.

Well there is a good ******* chance that they would win a flag before the dees ever do. Just building a team out of thin air won't get a lot of folks to shift, but they'd definitely have them as their 2nd team.

The only way that a Tassie team can get fans is to grow; so what they're doing with putting a team back into the VFL is a good move (as long as no ******* team takes them over like we saw in the 2000s), and they make sure the Tassie u18s is a permanent. There needs to be rock solid financial support to stop the same thing happening - if they can't maintain a u18 and VFL program, then really...

Get growth, get pride and then you've got a shot at bringing supporters over - and then end the "tourism" bs with other clubs.

Yeah agree with all that, just feel that once Tas do get their own team the locals will be on board. Hard to see why they wouldn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back