Heroic Adam Goodes honoured with a documentary about his last season

Adam Goodes is one of the all time greats and a wonderful role-model

• I agree (correct)

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I disagree, and my wife/cousin shares this opinion

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I await his swimming and **** policy (also correct)

Votes: 30 34.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I never had a problem with Goodes during the 04-07 period when the West Coast vs Sydney epic rivalry was at its highest. He was a great player that played fairly and had nothing but admiration for him.

Then in the last few seasons of his career he started to snipe players off the ball, slide in knees first injuring other players, and the virtue signalling AFL never suspended him. From that point he gained the untouchable AFL love child image that Ablett seems to have gotten this year. Fans boo’d Goodes cos he started playing dirty and he wasn’t being penalised.

Then he did the war dance which was directed EXACTLY at the small pocket of Carlton fans. He should have been fined for potentially inciting the crowd in the same manner players get fined for flipping the middle finger. But the AFL turned a blind eye because it was their golden child.

Then the 13yo girl incident happened and his antics suggested “attention whore wanting to be the victim”. He pointed the girl out, went off the ground and it looked as though he was desperately trying to have his own Nicky Winmar moment. I’m sure Goodes has been called similar racist names before in life, if not worse names. But in the heat of a game where his mind should be on winning he threw a tantrum and stormed off like a juvenile himself.

Even upon realising the girl was barely a teenager he still carried on in the media. This episode combined with his dirty sniping behaviour earned him boo’s from fans of every club.

In my mind the AFL helped create this absurd situation by refusing to treat him like a white person and suspend him for blatant dirty acts. They chose to instead give him the golden child treatment and anyone who is perceived to be favoured by the AFL will cop it from fans, as evidenced by GAJ this season. *Also note how the boos are a lot less tonight from Ablett now that he has rightfully copped his whack.

Everyone in the footy media is at this point pretty much bullied into toeing the company line and saying how awful the treatment of Goodes was, for fear of being labeled a racist, nazi, red neck etc.

This whole saga should have ended when Goodes retired. But guess what - the twat is back in the media spotlight playing the victim AGAIN, as if one turn on the merry-go-round wasn’t enough for the attention whore.
You might get a few likes from the soft in the head, but don’t let that fool you into thinking you’ve written something factually accurate.

Used to give him a few boos here and there for being a bit of a sniper and umpires pet when he played at KP. Still laugh how munted he was in Chapel St the night Footscray beat them in that final in 2008. Like shirtless on top of a table asking for more pills munted.

But once people started booing him after the spear thing I never booed him again. Complete campaigner but I think something bigger was happening, and booing him was uncalled for. Be the bigger man.

And that’s the trouble- you’re actively looking for racism. I explained reasons for Goodes being boo’d. The sniping at the end of his career is only a portion of it. You conveniently ignored the rest of the reasons i listed

Care to explain why Goodes wasn’t boo’d for first 12 years of his career? Please explain that to me. I can’t wait to hear what you have to say. You’re dying to say the booing of Goodes was solely racism, yet I bet you can’t explain why Goodes wasn’t boo’d his whole career, or why other aboriginals aren’t boo’d every game of the year.

Please give me your answers in a detailed response and not some throwaway 1 word.

I’ll give you an exact and serious answer. The booing started right after the Collingwood incident - you call it attention whoring nonsense, I can only presume because you believe he should have just accepted the racist comment and copped it, never mind that it occurred in indigenous round when his people were supposed to be celebrated and respected. He called it out and the booing started.

I’ll turn it around - you tell us when the specific sniping incident occurred that tipped Goodes over into “he’s a sniping flog, let’s boo him”. Surely to have whole sections of a crowd booing for weeks on end there must have been one or two really really incidents that kicked off the booing right? So just remind us all what they were?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’ll give you an exact and serious answer. The booing started right after the Collingwood incident - you call it attention whoring nonsense, I can only presume because you believe he should have just accepted the racist comment and copped it, never mind that it occurred in indigenous round when his people were supposed to be celebrated and respected. He called it out and the booing started.

I’ll turn it around - you tell us when the specific sniping incident occurred that tipped Goodes over into “he’s a sniping flog, let’s boo him”. Surely to have whole sections of a crowd booing for weeks on end there must have been one or two really really incidents that kicked off the booing right? So just remind us all what they were?

No, that's just when the media started reporting on Goodes getting booed, and when the mainstream fans started noticing. Was happening long before then.
We started doing it after he whacked Simon Godfrey off the ball and got off at the Tribunual.

So why were large sections of Swans fans booing Lewis Jetta a couple of years back? He was one of the few who stood in solidarity with Goodes during the saga.
And don't use the lame "he switched clubs" excuse as a piss poor cover for your fans and their racist booing towards an Indigenous Swans Premiership player.

You might get a few likes from the soft in the head, but don’t let that fool you into thinking you’ve written something factually accurate.

It's factually accurate, and I could wipe my arse with your I.Q..

No, that's just when the media started reporting on Goodes getting booed, and when the mainstream fans started noticing. Was happening long before then.
We started doing it after he whacked Simon Godfrey off the ball and got off at the Tribunual.

So why were large sections of Swans fans booing Lewis Jetta a couple of years back? He was one of the few who stood in solidarity with Goodes during the saga.
And don't use the lame "he switched clubs" excuse as a piss poor cover for your fans and their racist booing towards an Indigenous Swans Premiership player.

So you are seriously going to tell us that Melbourne fans booed Goodes consistently every game after that incident? That’s just rewriting history to suit your narrative. And to extend that I guess there was one of those incidents for every club that just seemed so much more offensive than any other act of foul play from any other player.

Re Jetta firstly I don’t recall him ever getting much of a hard time he’s actually been pretty average since he left us. But secondly what’s your point? He’s not a grub or a cheap shot merchant, if booing from swans fans is racist then I’m against that too - “if you’re racist I can be racist too” makes no sense.

But in all serious there’s a bit of pantomime booing with most returning players at most clubs it’s not racist and there is nothing wrong with it.

100% factual

Not even close on so many levels including the order in which things happened.

But just to call out one “he’s back in the media now playing the victim” I haven’t even seen him speak on this - some other bloke has released a documentary which Goodes didn’t participate in making and he hasn’t spoken about. yet he’s still being an attention whore? Wow.

So you are seriously going to tell us that Melbourne fans booed Goodes consistently every game after that incident? That’s just rewriting history to suit your narrative. And to extend that I guess there was one of those incidents for every club that just seemed so much more offensive than any other act of foul play from any other player.

Re Jetta firstly I don’t recall him ever getting much of a hard time he’s actually been pretty average since he left us. But secondly what’s your point? He’s not a grub or a cheap shot merchant, if booing from swans fans is racist then I’m against that too - “if you’re racist I can be racist too” makes no sense.

But in all serious there’s a bit of pantomime booing with most returning players at most clubs it’s not racist and there is nothing wrong with it.

Mate, we were still booing Tom Scully when he rocked up for Hawthorn this year. Our supporters are not many, but we're passionate and have long memories.
Jeremy McGovern was getting booed a couple of weeks back for whacking Jack Viney in the Prelim. Even though it was drowned out by Eagles fans booing because the grass grew by 1mm.
Mumford was still getting booed for taking out Gawny. Even after coming back from retirement.
But mostly I'm using the Jetta argument as a pisstake to highlight the ridiculous notion of racist booing.
Eddie Betts has done a lot to raise awareness of racial bullying and he never gets booed,
except by Poort flogs, but let's face it, they'd even boo if Margot Robbie ran onto the field wearing nothing but an Adelaide scarf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adam Goodes has a highly disagreeable, easily dis-likable personality and was booed because his on-field behavior clearly reflected that.
So what you're say is that Goodes was, by far the most highly disagreeable, easily dis-likeable personality in VFL, AFL history. By a factor of 10. And that this dislike just coincidently coincided with him pointing out racism in the crowd and the war dance?
Suuuure

The problem you bigots have is that your motivations are easily exposed, because your behaviour coincidedes with certain events. Maybe if you did some reading, or some cultural awareness, you wouldn't find Aboriginal people so highly disagreeable, easily dis-likeable

Hi Bay.

Now I'm sure there might be a minority of backwards-looking knuckle-draggers who disagree, but Adam Goodes, one of the all time great players and a worthy Australian of the Year.
Fittingly, a documentary has been filmed highlighting his difficult final season in which a few bad eggs decided to shamefully boo him and some mindless sheep joined them.
Indigenous players (who know indigenous issues quite well) have released a statement confirming just how respected and great Goodes was:

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019...-adam-goodes-was-treated/11185732?pfmredir=sm

His brother is an excellent person too doing good things for football in Western Victoria.

So how excited are you to watch this? I hope he enters parliament someday.

Parliament is no place for the thin skinned

And can you not see Goodes is being used by triggerers?

So what you're say is that Goodes was, by far the most highly disagreeable, easily dis-likeable personality in VFL, AFL history. By a factor of 10. And that this dislike just coincidently coincided with him pointing out racism in the crowd and the war dance?
Suuuure

The problem you bigots have is that your motivations are easily exposed, because your behaviour coincidedes with certain events. Maybe if you did some reading, or some cultural awareness, you wouldn't find Aboriginal people so highly disagreeable, easily dis-likeable

The ‘war dance was a response to the booing, happened after booing started. Rewrite of history to say the war dance caused the booing

Suuuure

Yep, he wasn't as likeable as Aker apparently.

I'm sure some of the booing mob were just sheep but they still stood side by side with racists who like their black fellas quiet and compliant.

The ‘war dance was a response to the booing, happened after booing started. Rewrite of history to say the war dance caused the booing
Your booing coincided with these events. The fact that you're so ashamed of your obviously racist behaviour to want to change history, is sign of some small progress I guess.

Not even close on so many levels including the order in which things happened.

But just to call out one “he’s back in the media now playing the victim” I haven’t even seen him speak on this - some other bloke has released a documentary which Goodes didn’t participate in making and he hasn’t spoken about. yet he’s still being an attention whore? Wow.

Yep the film makers aren’t doing Goodes any favours

I'm shocked and horrified that the AFL continues to allow this racist practice of booing players to continue. St Gary Ablett Jnr has been obviously racially abused with all the booing lately, yet the AFL, yet again, does not act.

Clearly we have massive racism issues in Australia, you only have to look to Perf where everyone seems to BOOOOOO every game. These racists throw their sledges out with impunity and the AFL does nothing

lol Goodes was awesome, especially when he did this

See, Goodes hates drug cheats too.
All the more reason to stand with him :hearts:

Your booing coincided with these events. The fact that you're so ashamed of your obviously racist behaviour to want to change history, is sign of some small progress I guess.

Coincided? He was bood long before that. I didn’t mind the war dance thing. Showed a bit of fire. We should also remember that Goodes up till then said he didn’t mind the booing, and it spurred him on (he’s not the only one to say that)

I personally joined in boos of he (and franklin) in a game prior in the same year. I never saw Goodes play live after that so did not repeat the booing. From where I was looking at the time it was stupidity and rivalry which motivated the boos.
These film makers aren’t doing anyone any favours. The films sound like one sided tear jerkers rather than factual accounts

Back