Society/Culture The Grievance Studies Hoax - 'Applied Postmodernism' in Scholarship and Higher Education

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
There hasn't been a thread dedicated to this issue, and perhaps that's because it's only a niche interest for some people here, but hopefully I am wrong.
Rather than trying to explain it myself (and probably doing a shitty job), the below extract is from a great online magazine called Areo (https://areomagazine.com/2019/01/20...st-scholarship-activism-on-evergreen-college/):
In the first installation of a two-part documentary embedded here, filmmaker Mike Nayna examines the ideological fervor that took root there [The Evergreen State College] with an aim to explaining how this could have happened at one of the most liberal higher education colleges in the world. He explores the applied postmodern conception of society, as we have called it, and seeks to comprehend and communicate how it and its accompanying moral imperative were able to take hold of a collegiate administration and overrule Evergreen’s commitment to academic freedom, open-ended experimental pedagogies and unparalleled professorial autonomy.

At the center of the Evergreen saga are two of its former tenured biology professors: Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying. These two—also married to one another—made the heroic mistake of seeing the problem unfolding in real time and attempting to address it. Nayna’s Evergreen documentary interviews Weinstein and Heying and interweaves their experiences with footage from within Evergreen, in order to show how an experimental liberal college in the Pacific Northwest could be overrun by this sort of impassioned preaching, bizarre rituals, group chanting and mob outrage. This serves as the backstory for what has made Evergreen most famous, the turmoil that followed Weinstein’s decision to take a stand against it as it crept onto the scene.

The first video on this issue released by the Australian filmmaker Mike Nayna:

The entire playlist to date can be found here:

If you're in the mood for a roller coaster ride, jump on board and watch these. You'll go from laughing to cringing and then to horrified and back. The interview between two of the academics and Joe Rogan on his podcast was brilliant.

This doesn't seem like such a problem in academia here in Australia, and it really limited to pockets within the higher education system in the USA, but these 'applied postmodernism' ideas certainly make their way out of the universities and into common parlance. I don't want to make it seem like it's a bigger issue than what it is, but the sooner these ideas get exposed for having the rotten core they possess, the better. As they said in their first video - race, gender and all the other topics are well worth studying. The problem is how they are being studied.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
And example of these theories making their way into the public sphere. Of course, the education department is a prime target:

From the article:
In controversial “implicit bias” training, New York City’s public-school educators have been told to focus on black children over white ones — and one Jewish superintendent who described her family’s Holocaust tragedies was scolded and humiliated, according to firsthand accounts.

A consultant hired by the city Department of Education told administrators at a workshop that “racial equity” means favoring black children regardless of their socio-economic status, sources said.

“If I had a poor white male student and I had a middle-class black boy, I would actually put my equitable strategies and interventions into that middle class black boy because over the course of his lifetime he will have less access and less opportunities than that poor white boy,” the consultant, Darnisa Amante, is quoted as saying by those in the room.

“That’s what racial equity is,” Amante explained.

Mona Davids, president of the NYC Parents Union, was appalled.

“It’s completely absurd — they want to treat black students as victims and punish white students. That defeats the purpose of what bias awareness training should be,” said Davids, who is black.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Essential viewing for anyone interested in academic integrity.

Surprised it even exists these days.

Lecturers forced to pass high fee paying international students irrespective of their ability. Re-writing syllabi so as not to offend. Removing academics who disagree with group think.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Naval is an interesting person. His point on immigration is spot on, and not something left wingers (especially the liberal left) truly understand.

"........you can tell they're fake sciences because they have the word "science" tacked on at the end"

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I read lot of books. It's how I can spot all the frauds.
IDW and Joe Rogan you guys are so 2017. Did you see Shapiro get destroyed by BBC conservative?! Who was on Rubin Report?

Go to any campus and look for yourself there is no SJW cabals secretly influencing everything, this is more boogieman s**t to get you all worked up and sweetie as to legitimise your own bias. Unis/colleges knowingly receiving bribes and forged documents to admit the dullard children of millionaires waaaay more ****ed up, but no lets focus on the outlier campus that was already weirdo doing more weirdo s**t.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
IDW and Joe Rogan you guys are so 2017. Did you see Shapiro get destroyed by BBC conservative?! Who was on Rubin Report?

Go to any campus and look for yourself there is no SJW cabals secretly influencing everything, this is more boogieman **** to get you all worked up and sweetie as to legitimise your own bias. Unis/colleges knowingly receiving bribes and forged documents to admit the dullard children of millionaires waaaay more ****** up, but no lets focus on the outlier campus that was already weirdo doing more weirdo ****.
Yeah, you're right, this stuff never goes beyond universities into the real world. Nothing to worry ab... Wait...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Yeah, you're right, this stuff never goes beyond universities into the real world. Nothing to worry ab... Wait...

Yeh we’ve got a post modern Leader of the Free World.

The most dangerous thing to escape from Unis in the last 100 years was Fred Hayek, Uncle Milty and the Chicago Boys - who built the ideological foundations of the GFC - which has in turn lead to austerity politics and the consequent turn to nationalism

If you ask me that has had more of a malign effect on the world than ******* genderless driver’s licenses and the political correctness gone mad world where people can’t use the word”boong” in polite company - won’t someone think of the freedom!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Yeh we’ve got a post modern Leader of the Free World.

The most dangerous thing to escape from Unis in the last 100 years was Fred Hayek, Uncle Milty and the Chicago Boys - who built the ideological foundations of the GFC - which has in turn lead to austerity politics and the consequent turn to nationalism

If you ask me that has had more of a malign effect on the world than ******* genderless driver’s licenses and the political correctness gone mad world where people can’t use the word”boong” in polite company - won’t someone think of the freedom!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not everything has to be The Absolute Worst Thing for it to be pointed out as a bad thing.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
It would be interesting to know if the individuals who post these tirades against post modern cultural Marxism (sic) ever studied any humanities subject at Uni
"Welcome to the subject. Cultural Marxism doesn't exist. It is the phrase given to socially liberal movements within capitalism that makes right wingers feel a bit icky. You have the next 3 months off before the exam. Bye."

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
If I finish my masters in data science does that make me a scientist?

Data science? Isn't that a fancy word for a statistician? That doesn't even require a degree. Generally, it's not a true science however.

BTW, it's also a good gig if you're in to that stuff. Last I hears they can't fill enough places for properly trained statisticians, and recruit them from accountancy undergrads.

Sep 29, 2003
far queue
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NSW Blues
Data science? Isn't that a fancy word for a statistician? That doesn't even require a degree. Generally, it's not a true science however.

They stuck science on the end to make it sound......well sciency and sexy. Combines stats, data analysis, research techniques, critical thinking, algorithms, coding and other related stuff into a neat box. Nothing which can't be done by a lot of reading and even more practice. A bit of fun to pass the time.

BTW, it's also a good gig if you're in to that stuff. Last I hears they can't fill enough places for properly trained statisticians, and recruit them from accountancy undergrads.

Getting in with corporate bookies or joints like champion data would be ideal for younger people interested in sports related work. Everything is data related today, obviously not just sport, so there are huge opportunities out there. I'm past in now though. Someone in the industry could give a much better answer than I can.

Edit. It is useful for punting and daily fantasy sport if one has the time and is that way inclined. (Gamble responsibly);)

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
"Welcome to the subject. Cultural Marxism doesn't exist. It is the phrase given to socially liberal movements within capitalism that makes right wingers feel a bit icky. You have the next 3 months off before the exam. Bye."
Sorry, where is the reference to cultural Marxism here? Or is this a case of not reading the material and commenting? Contra Mundum?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back