Rumour Two current AFL stars have lost $1 million each on the punt

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel pretty bad for the youngsters who would get swept up in the punting culture at AFL clubs (let alone state league and ammos). Free time, huge disposable income, a desire to fit in etc. Not to mention they have been enabled hugely to the normalisation and saturation of sports gambling in the industry.

Ive never seen it written in news so cant find a article but AFLPA as 5 times more problem gamblers reported then Rugby League does. Seems to be alot more culturally acceptable in AFL then NRL

Id say its a two pronged reason. Firstly alot of NRL players get to stay home around family presences, moreso then AFL. Not that surprising the two big names mentioned here were moved away from home at a young age. Secondly, NRL players coming from the island nations more are alot more religious and against gambling as a whole (but then again they do seem to like the sniffy jiffy still)

Never have agreed with the philosophy of punishing the majority for the actions of the minority,the world would be a pretty boring place if that was the case.
How about individuals taking responsibility for their own actions instead of laying the blame elsewhere.

I’ve been told Gibbs has a 6 figure debt and his gambling addiction stems back with his time at Carlton. This explains why he wanted to go back home to be close to family. His debt is with people in Melbourne who are not nice people. There was a rumour crows had to pay betts gambling debt and they had another Carlton player struggle with a gambling issues.

Never have agreed with the philosophy of punishing the majority for the actions of the minority,the world would be a pretty boring place if that was the case.
How about individuals taking responsibility for their own actions instead of laying the blame elsewhere.

Great point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question - do Lions players get betting accounts and credits as part of their major sponsor agreement?

No conflict of interest at all from the AFL being concerned about players welfare and allowing gambling sponsorship.

And remember, gamble responsibly on the most inane exotic crap you could ever imagine to responsibly lose your money

Sportsbetting and Pokies are two different beasts. With education you can make money from sports betting. Pokies are nothing more than a lottery.

Plenty of people have lost massive coin on other investment type activities are we going to call for a ban on those too.

Only if you betting on specific sports, have information that not everybody has and you bet through a non computerised system. Unless you are one of those guys who always comes out ahead.....

Sportsbetting and Pokies are two different beasts. With education you can make money from sports betting. Pokies are nothing more than a lottery.

That would be a valid point if betting companies didn't have a habit of banning people who win too much money from them.

That should be illegal imo. How they can get away with having their cake and eating it too I have no idea.

Plenty of people have lost massive coin on other investment type activities are we going to call for a ban on those too.
If you're making money from any of these 'bookmakers' you won't be betting with them for long.

Didn't spot the above post

Last edited:
At the outset I have no idea who they are. That said, and using my intuition, I have no problem accepting Beams. But Gibbs?
So assuming the correctness of the allegations against Beams and Gibbs let me say this.
Beams is an obvious Bogan who came from a culture where betting was de riguer.
Gibbs, not so.
So with Gibbs we have to ask what is the cause or what are the causes of his addiction?
An addiction to gambling is normally cultural (assume Beams) or psychological, which includes psycho- sexual, (assume Gibbs).
It’s never a Black and White issue.
You must be extremely sheltered to think gambling is a "Working class" problem.. Geeez, I bet you loved Kath & Kim..

Would be a more valid point if companies did not actively seek to exploit weaknesses in people through marketing, 'free bet' promos, targeting youth etc. I'd be happy to retain gambling, smoking, alcohol etc if they weren't allowed even one second of advertising that makes it look like a fun, harmless pursuit that will lead to riches for all.

I’m sorry but this Jan Beames seems like a massive quack. Not really a surprise the AFLPA isn’t referring to her.

That aside, we all know Schwarz, Stringer, Fev, Ward, Johnstone etc have had major gambling issues so it’s hardly a surprise.

Most dip shits 'investing' in betting would make more money working a normal job.

Only if you betting on specific sports, have information that not everybody has and you bet through a non computerised system. Unless you are one of those guys who always comes out ahead.....
There are other ways, but involves a lot of background work.

I know a professional punter, who makes a fair quid.

He has many, many betting accounts not in his name.

Each account has its own bank account, phone and hard drive.

He actually employs people to help set up his accounts.

He has no inside contacts in any sport.

The hardest aspect for any professional punter is having accounts banned when they’re to successful, as betting companies don’t like losing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back