Could we see a super league start for australian footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough, guess anything is possible but how many people actually want it?

Things don’t necessarily come about because people want them. Sometimes things come about as solutions to problems. Here’s a bunch of structural problems that many AFL supporters complain about, that a new super comp could very easily address:

- MCG/Victoria hosting the Grand Final every year.
- Inequity of the draw. Ideally every team would play every other team twice: once home, once away.
- Dominance of the competition by Victoria. Resultant inequity of the Victorian teams not having to travel as much.
- No team in Tasmania.

Further, a super league could cut down on costs by having fewer teams. And broadcasting is very accessible these days.

Really? That's the excuse youre running with to keep North in? We were here 1st?

Im sure theres other reasons. Better ones. Yeah? No?

You missed the irony.

They were describing the old VFL comp (bring back the good ol’ days)

I'm not talking rugby league/world series cricket style, but rather similar to the Indian premier league soccer.
There's quite a few clubs at state level that are fed up with the way the AFL has treated them, so could we see them break away and form their own national league, filled with mainly the "coulda been" 22+ yr olds, with a smattering of older types who've retired?

How many people give a s**t about state league clubs?

What is "Indian premier league soccer"?

There has been some whispers about a new league starting up, mostly surrounding Amazon starting it. Whether there's any truth to it or not is another thing.

That's an improvement on your normal Bezos conspiracy theories.

How many people give a **** about state league clubs?

What is "Indian premier league soccer"?
You don't need people to give a damn, you just need people watching and talking.

The ipl soccer is effectively a retirement league. Unsanctioned by for a, but enough money to pay the older stars

I'm not talking rugby league/world series cricket style, but rather similar to the Indian premier league soccer.
There's quite a few clubs at state level that are fed up with the way the AFL has treated them, so could we see them break away and form their own national league, filled with mainly the "coulda been" 22+ yr olds, with a smattering of older types who've retired?
Not a chance. Sadly the AFL has swamped (and in some cases it seems deliberately destroyed) every other level of footy to the point where they only stay afloat so long as the AFL decides. Any second-tier club trying to do that would be out of business within a few months, at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny thing is, John Elliot and other interests I guess (I can't remember who) were looking at doing this a few years before the AFL became a thing.
He approached Claremont Football club to sound them out I think. He approached several league clubs across Aus, can't remember which ones.

I'm sure there are people/organisations who could make something like this happen, but in the end I doubt that the returns would be there considering the outlay and the surrounding issues.

No, the AFL owns every club.

If it was ever going to happen would of been in the 80s when the VFL was largely broke and about to go national.

There was talk about it then behind closed doors with the powerful clubs from Vic at the time like Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn and I think the pies.

No. And while the AFL certainly isn't perfect, the idea of someone like Amazon getting hold of our national game is pure nightmare fuel.

I hoped someone would step up and take Auskick away, it's an absolute joke and the standard of our game is suffering because of it, Auskick teaches the kids nothing, sure little Johnny might get to kick a goal, but he won't touch the thing in u12s.

Yeah, let's not. State league clubs would likely have to merge to stay afloat in this environment, Amazon money or no Amazon money, and the AFL clubs literally can't unless they want to start some copyright-skirting phoenix club. Would just be ruinous for all involved.

Things don’t necessarily come about because people want them. Sometimes things come about as solutions to problems. Here’s a bunch of structural problems that many AFL supporters complain about, that a new super comp could very easily address:

- MCG/Victoria hosting the Grand Final every year.
- Inequity of the draw. Ideally every team would play every other team twice: once home, once away.
- Dominance of the competition by Victoria. Resultant inequity of the Victorian teams not having to travel as much.
- No team in Tasmania.

Further, a super league could cut down on costs by having fewer teams. And broadcasting is very accessible these days.

You've hit the beef points of every non vic supporter, the issue to overcome for such a league would be taking interest from the largest footy market in the country and that's Vic. The population of vic outnumbers all other footy states combined including NT by over a million people. These points above will not largely entice vic supporters to move over.

All of these previously thought of ideas like pulling clubs like Coll & Ess to join a rebel league is the stuff of fairy tales really.

Another proposal:

There is enough market outside Vic to garner a league if someone like a Forrest were to gladly siphon funds for the cause.

Invite all the non vic clubs from the now AFL and call it once again the VFL (even though currently one and the same league), bring back Fitzroy (if the funding is provided) and even a South Melbourne. These current non vic clubs can be the base of this "super" rebel league.

The "super" league will have access to all of the stadiums outside Vic................... in theory this is actually workable. Just requires the funding.

This would address all of the issues above as well as give Broadcasters an opposition for the current monopoly by HQ. Could actually drive the market up for tv rights.

I'd imagine most players would be willing to back it so long as they don't lose out financially or any other way

..................Just takes someone with a big enough lettuce farm to pull it off.

No, the AFL owns every club.

No they dont. They only own a handful. Most aren't owned by anyone, they are non-profit entities with no shareholders.

The ALF do, however, own their branding and trademark.

So if Essendon wanted to break away; assuming contacts to things like stadiums can be renegotiated, they technically can. But they will not be allowed to be called Essendon. Or the Bombers. Or wear a red sash on black.

And they would have to compete for their supporters against another team the AFL would be sute to establish that they will call the Essendon Bombers that wear red and black sash.

Super League suggestion

ORFL (Oceania Rules Football League)
It’s not only a new league but a new sport but very similar to Australian Rules. Therefore it’s not governed by the AFL.

First 8 founding teams

ACT Cockatoos, Blue and Gold

NSW Kookaburras, Light and Dark Blue

NT Eagles, Black, White and Red Ochre

Queensland Bears (Koala), Maroon and White

South Australia Dragons (Sea), Blue, Red, Yellow

Tasmania Devils, Green, Yellow and Maroon.

Victoria Gold, Navy Blue and White

Western Australia Swans, Gold and Black

Home and away, Final 5 Finals Series
Final 5 Finals series

Indigenous jumpers as standard

Future expansion sides:

Nauru Chiefs, Blue, Yellow an White

New Zealand Kiwis, Black, Silver and Beige

Norfolk Island Parrots, Green and Sky Blue

PNG Birds of Paradise, Red Black and Yellow

You've hit the beef points of every non vic supporter, the issue to overcome for such a league would be taking interest from the largest footy market in the country and that's Vic. The population of vic outnumbers all other footy states combined including NT by over a million people. These points above will not largely entice vic supporters to move over.

Back when State of Origin was a thing, Vic supporters got behind that. Not to the same extent as Rugby League SOO of course, but it was a reasonable level of support.

All of these previously thought of ideas like pulling clubs like Coll & Ess to join a rebel league is the stuff of fairy tales really.

Agreed. Don’t the AFL own the club brands?

Another proposal:

There is enough market outside Vic to garner a league if someone like a Forrest were to gladly siphon funds for the cause.

Invite all the non vic clubs from the now AFL and call it once again the VFL (even though currently one and the same league), bring back Fitzroy (if the funding is provided) and even a South Melbourne. These current non vic clubs can be the base of this "super" rebel league.

Or even a University? Nah, those clubs are too far gone. If the comp had any new teams then they’d be established in places like Narre Warren ...

... or even Frankston, Werribee or Port Melbourne. What you’ve described is basically the VFL as it exists today. Most of the the decent AFL players would have gone to the super league enticed by $$$.

And of course Victoria would still have team(s) in the super league - just as they have teams in Rugby and A-League.

The "super" league will have access to all of the stadiums outside Vic................... in theory this is actually workable. Just requires the funding.

I’d imagine the stadiums in Perth, Adelaide, together with Giants, and Metricon would have tight contracts expecting AFL league games to be played there, and were a condition of funding for the stadium construction / renovation.

This would address all of the issues above as well as give Broadcasters an opposition for the current monopoly by HQ. Could actually drive the market up for tv rights.

I'd imagine most players would be willing to back it so long as they don't lose out financially or any other way

..................Just takes someone with a big enough lettuce farm to pull it off.

I think you and I have described exactly the same plan.

There is only one reason a breakaway comp would be of benefit and that is to win control of the actual sport back.
Australian Rules Football barely exists anymore and has been replaced by a hybrid version of the sport we now call AFL.
Hypothetically speaking that someone with the love of Aussie Rules Football, that had the money and the media pull it is very possible that someone could turn the sport on its head with the ultimate goal being compromise to return the sport to what it should be.
Money talks and getting clubs to breakaway is no problem, sure they can’t use their name or their logo as the AFL own them but the supporters would still know who they are and would follow them anywhere. The AFL don’t own any colours so you just need a new name and jumper design for the brief few years until compromise comes which it always does.

I have always found it amazing that the AFL have been able to buy off every former player and administrator to sell the company line and to change the sport. You will never convince me that Eddie McGuire, Leigh Mathews,, Dermot Brereton, Dunstall, Healy, Lyon, Roos, Richardson, Brown, Lynch and any of these former players actually like today’s hybrid version of the game. They are very well rewarded financially to convince us they do but ultimately it is on their watch they have allowed head office to change the sport.
They together with hundreds of former players could lead the charge to force head office into returning the sport to its once former glory but they would have to risk their pay packet to do so. The public would back them in though.

It s the coaches and administrators of the last 20 years that should be ashamed of themselves for allowing the AFL to mess with the sport.

A breakaway league is in my opinion the only thing that can get the sport back to what it was. The funny thing is the AFL would only need to change a few things in my view and it would be ok.

1) Return the rules of the sport and their interpretations to as they were in 1990.
2) Get rid of all these ridiculous fines and suspensions for acts that were not even deemed free kicks in 1990. Accidents are accidents and should be treated as such.
3) release the media to report the sport as it is and for the AFL to have no control on what they can or can’t say.
4) Run a rolling concurrent fixture which provides the most integrity in an 18 team 22 round season.

These simple little things gets the fans back to worrying about did they win or lose instead of talking about issues that should not exist. There will still be umpiring mistakes as they are human, coaches will still get better every year with strategy, players will continue to get faster and stronger but the sport will be the same every year.

So if I find a few billion dollars I will form a breakaway, I will simply promote it as Australian Rules Football is Back, give the players a 50% increase to get them on board until compromise and away we go. You don’t even need the actual clubs, you need the players.

Anyway just woke up so carry on with the this hybrid poor cousin version called AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back