Patrick Cripps

Remove this Banner Ad

Love it how people are pointing to one bad game against Essendon and overlooking that he is clearly a top 3 midfielder in the competition right now, in fact, probably the best given he is playing in a lowly side.
Sort of like how people are pointing at one amazing game against Brisbane and declaring that he is daylight better than anybody else, right?

He's better than everyone else after one game? Didn't he get toweled up by a second gamer last week?
Aaron Joseph absolutely blanketed Garry Ablett in his hey day - to the point where Ablett was on record saying that he was the most difficult opponent he’s had.

You’d be right in thinking “who?”

Still don't really know what happened last week. He's not the sort of player to get towelled by a skinny second gamer (he looked like he could crack the bloke in half if he wanted), yet he's not (I thought) the kind of player who would willingly get the coach sacked. Maybe we'll never know for sure.

Needs consistency. A few years of this then he’s beast.
Fyfe has been doing this for years, consistently.
But gee Cripps was another level in the second half today. Willed his team over the line

Injured first year.
Winner B&F second year.
Broke league clearance record third year.
Injured fourth year
4th in Brownlow and 2nd in AFLCA Player of the year fifth year.
Leading AFLCA for much of this year and current Brownlow favourite in sixth year.

Other than injuries, I've got NFI what you're talking about re consistency. Has consistently been great and gets better every year.

Aaron Joseph absolutely blanketed Garry Ablett in his hey day - to the point where Ablett was on record saying that he was the most difficult opponent he’s had.

You’d be right in thinking “who?”
Cripps being the best mid in the competition is a really good debate, I'd be on the side that he is but the fact that it could be a debate is why he's not daylight ahead of the others. Happy to concede he's the best, but let's not go crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still too much of a gap between his best (which is as good as anyone's) and his worst to be considered the best imo but yes he's amazing to watch when he's feeling it. Hopefully Carlton can surround him with some quality players soon because he really deserves to play in a winning side more often.

Also needs to come up with a new goal celebration

Silliness of the title aside, he’s clearly a top five player and his performance today was as good as I’ve seen for the last few years.

This bloke is an absolute freak and deserves every bit of success, when he was interviewed after today's game he is also an absolute gentleman and I hope he stays at the Blues for life.. Such an incredible player to watch.

Happy to consider a trade for Josh Kennedy back to the blues.

Heard you guys weren't happy he left.

Let me know...cheers

Which makes him the best in my opinion, I just think he's not that far ahead of others.

Agreed.

'Who's the best player in the AFL' is always a subjective question and there's so many factors...are we talking just this year or over the last few years? What about whether they play in a good or poor team etc

I would say he's comfortably in the top 5 though.

Needs consistency. A few years of this then he’s beast.
Fyfe has been doing this for years, consistently.
But gee Cripps was another level in the second half today. Willed his team over the line
What an odd comment. Cripps has been a model of consistency for a while now. Every bit as consistent as Fyfe.

Also, what is “this”? 38 disposals and 4 goals? Fyfe does that consistently? News to me.

Cripps being the best mid in the competition is a really good debate, I'd be on the side that he is but the fact that it could be a debate is why he's not daylight ahead of the others. Happy to concede he's the best, but let's not go crazy.
Who’s going crazy?

I’m just responding to a statement made implying he wasn’t as good as he’s being made out to be because he was “towelled up by a second gamer” last week.

And pointing out that even legends of the game have an off day and can be beaten by just about anybody.

If you want me to go “crazy” I’d be saying Cripps is the best midfielder in the afl bar none, he’s be the first player picked if you were starting a team from scratch by a country mile and I’d take Cripps in his prime over Ablett every day of the week.... but I’m not saying that... well... 😉

Remove this Banner Ad

Back