Review Geelong d Richmond by 67 points

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Lol at everyone in here having a wank fest at beating a time missing almost half its regular starting line up.

We have 8 players with less than 10 games playing.

Injuries we just have to suck it up and accept it but if we beat Geelong missing
Danger, ablett, Hawkins, selwood, Duncan, kelly.. I would not be reading much into it.

The players we have out are automatic inclusions in our best line up.. 8 players..

Not saying we would have won with them in as Geelong is clearly having a great season, But it is most certainly not the team that beat you the last few times..

Bag me all you want but those are the facts and is why majority of media articles reference Geelong beating an undermanned Richmond.
You do not have anything like the six Geelong players mentioned above injured; Danger=Martin Selwood=Cotchin for example. You have Rance and Reiwoldt missing and Rance has been out and will be out for the season. Compared to us you are just slightly undermanned. Turn your attention to 2017 when we had a heap of injuries including Hawkins and were forced to play Taylor at full forward on Rance, Rance got pansed and the Cats won that one. You sometimes need a coach who can coax a little more from an undermanned team, use clever tactics and play with spirit.

You are correct that your side is not the same team that beat us the last few times, note the team we are playing is also not the same, includes seven first or second year players plus two discards from other clubs who have played just 12 games with the current team. Although you have Jack missing you have added Tom Lynch an A-grade key forward that you didn't have last year.

If we had a fit Menegola and Cockatoo while you guys had your missing players out there perhaps the margin might have been a little less, say 55 points instead of 67.

Love the way you turned on that green light, and the traffic just purrs through.
Sometimes the best punishment is a public flogging.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Just watched first 3 1/4s for the first time. Rohan's intent is amazing. He is killing it.

Hawthorn fans always used to go on about Rioli not needing big possessions to have an impact.

Rohan does the exact same thing for us. 8 possessions and a goal last night and I reckon he was in the best 10 players on the field.

Just watching the replay, what is it with Tuohy in particular, but Guthrie did it as well, kicking a loose ball coming towards them without picking it up on a few occasions. Could go absolutely anywhere. I doubt that this is coached to them.

I think it was based on the conditions last night - particularly early we were very fumbly and struggling to pick the ball up cleanly. Getting a quick kick forward, even from a ground ball, was maybe seen as better than trying to pick it up & getting tackled doing so

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I think it was based on the conditions last night - particularly early we were very fumbly and struggling to pick the ball up cleanly. Getting a quick kick forward, even from a ground ball, was maybe seen as better than trying to pick it up & getting tackled doing so
It was a sensible and creative response to the conditions, especially when coupled with Richmond's manic tackling early in the game.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Just watching the replay, what is it with Tuohy in particular, but Guthrie did it as well, kicking a loose ball coming towards them without picking it up on a few occasions. Could go absolutely anywhere. I doubt that this is coached to them.
I thought it was smart. The Guthrie ones early in the 2nd qr anyway.
If he picked it up he was just gonna get tackled and turn it over anyway.
Why not hack it forward? Way of counter acting their pressure.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong

Tuohy just looked ordinary last night, imo.

Not in our Best 22 atm for mine.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
just watching a replay; what a difference between 1Q and 2Q+. looked like wet conditions with the slips and fumbles and not even a hint of it. lot of great play from everyone.
1Q there were always a pack of black shirts around the ball, and aside from Cotchin's dash from the center, that was how they moved the ball, kept it low into the 50. 2Q, they were not able to do that. there were no rolling mauls, they had to play in a more convention way and ended up bombing it. I was thinking they might have been better served to just throw the ball down and start soccering it.
Hawkins is killing it in the forward ruck. that play with Miers was something you'd expect from Ryder or Gawn.
Townsend should go for that punch, exactly a thug act. regardless of what he thought of the umpires call on the free kick, he looked like he sized up Clark as an easy target who wouldn't fire back and went for rib punch. talk about intent, that wasn't in a tussle. the head contact, free kick no fine or time, no problem. but the punch, must go for that. oh and that #7 for Richmond is flog as well.
Carey is a terrible commentator, clearly doesn't know how Geelong has been developing over the last 6~7 years.
oh and massively disappointed that we didn't get 100 by 3Q time.

Cronin

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Tuohy just looked ordinary last night, imo.

Not in our Best 22 atm for mine.
IMO needs to play higher up the ground.

Rarely breaks the lines off HB and is an average 1-on-1 defender.

But still has an attacking long kick on him and could be a weapon going forward.

Sometimes the best punishment is a public flogging.

Love how he went missing as quickly as Jack Higgins and Sydney Stack did last night when we started turning it on. ;)

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
just watching a replay; what a difference between 1Q and 2Q+. looked like wet conditions with the slips and fumbles and not even a hint of it. lot of great play from everyone.
1Q there were always a pack of black shirts around the ball, and aside from Cotchin's dash from the center, that was how they moved the ball, kept it low into the 50. 2Q, they were not able to do that. there were no rolling mauls, they had to play in a more convention way and ended up bombing it. I was thinking they might have been better served to just throw the ball down and start soccering it.
Hawkins is killing it in the forward ruck. that play with Miers was something you'd expect from Ryder or Gawn.
Townsend should go for that punch, exactly a thug act. regardless of what he thought of the umpires call on the free kick, he looked like he sized up Clark as an easy target who wouldn't fire back and went for rib punch. talk about intent, that wasn't in a tussle. the head contact, free kick no fine or time, no problem. but the punch, must go for that. oh and that #7 for Richmond is flog as well.
Carey is a terrible commentator, clearly doesn't know how Geelong has been developing over the last 6~7 years.
oh and massively disappointed that we didn't get 100 by 3Q time.

agree with the rest of your post; the Hawkins-to-Miers seeming set-play from the F50 ruck contest was slick, and I too thought Townsend was a knobend for taking two cracks against the youngest kid on the field.

one thing I'll say for Carey is, he appreciates Tom Hawkins like maybe only Geelong fans do; acknowledges all his attributes and holds him in high esteem - I noticed Richo was getting on the bandwagon last night too.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Sheesh, was top 10 carji last year and coming off no pre season.

Yet he's in the starting 22.

Excuses have to stay in the shed once they run onto the ground.

Luckily we're playing well enough to carry him, but simply can't, mustn't, tolerate any passengers come finals.

I'd put him back to the VFL for a couple of games to try and find touch, give Bews a crack at Betts & Co in the meantime, then make a call.

Love this:

T.Lynch - 9 possessions, 4 marks, 1.2 and 34 SC points in 96% game time.
E.Ratugolea - 8 possessions, 6 marks, 2 goals and 87 SC points in 54% game time.

Sav's costing us about $700K less too.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
agree with the rest of your post; the Hawkins-to-Miers seeming set-play from the F50 ruck contest was slick, and I too thought Townsend was a knobend for taking two cracks against the youngest kid on the field.

one thing I'll say for Carey is, he appreciates Tom Hawkins like maybe only Geelong fans do; acknowledges all his attributes and holds him in high esteem - I noticed Richo was getting on the bandwagon last night too.
yes, but he didn't seem to know that Tom has been a very good field kick and unselfish for a long time and . his comments gave the impression there is a large gap in his knowledge from 2011 until this year or maybe last year. LOL a bit like a student using Reader Digest summaries to prepare for Lit final.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Yet he's in the starting 22.

Excuses have to stay in the shed once they run onto the ground.

Luckily we're playing well enough to carry him, but simply can't, mustn't, tolerate any passengers come finals.

I'd put him back to the VFL for a couple of games to try and find touch, give Bews a crack at Betts & Co in the meantime, then make a call.
You say we should not carry passengers, then you suggest bringing Bews into the side.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Love this:

T.Lynch - 9 possessions, 4 marks, 1.2 and 34 SC points in 96% game time.
E.Ratugolea - 8 possessions, 6 marks, 2 goals and 87 SC points in 54% game time.

Sav's costing us about $700K less too.

I'll put my hand up for wanting Sav to go back to the VFL to build up his confidence and get back on to amazing trajectory he was on before being injured. I thought he throwing him right back in to the ones was a gamble, which could have paid off. Still the rest obviously did him some good. Love how he plays with abandon. Will be interesting to see how he goes if things get a bit scrappy or niggly.
Lynch's first quarter misses could have given them a decent lead and better momentum. You could see he had no confidence in his set shot later on.

Back