Unofficial Preview Changes v St. Kilda (after the bye)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selection table and all of that...

Many saw before a ball was bounced that we went in with the wrong line up.
Hubris at the selection table. Based on today, how stiff was Keays to get dropped?!

Hubris at the selection table. Based on today, how stiff was Keays to get dropped?!
We both said he shouldn’t have been dropped. Had a good game and bang; dropped. Rayner has probably had one better game than Keays’ game all year and not dropped once.

Walker’s omission still baffles me.

We both said he shouldn’t have been dropped. Had a good game and bang; dropped. Rayner has probably had one better game than Keays’ game all year and not dropped once.

Walker’s omission still baffles me.
Makes no sense, especially after Carlton towelled us up in the air all over the ground. Bastinac is another one. Compared to Rayner, what was he doing wrong?

Cannot believe we played Oscar in the 2s, we got caned in the middle and were impotent up forward. He might've made a difference!!!
Rayner has to go, absolute liability and a massive concern! Trade table? I'd drop McStay for those poor efforts in the 3rd term, rather play Eagles, at least he would bring the ball to ground.

You could put any combo of our players out there today and I doubt the result would have been all that different. Ideally we'd have Bailey, Big O & Berry in but none of them have shown that that they might be the difference this early in their careers. We had all out best players out there and still were shown up.

I don't think lots of changes will fix anything. Need a good 2 weeks on the training track and not to let Archie in the team again.

Nick Robertson who won his position contrary to the bias of some here.
I agree. Nick Robinson is playing towards top form nicely. His poor turnover by foot (in the last) when kicking to an outnumbered Hodge, was the fault of Hodge. Robinson was initially heading in the other direction & he gets Hodge calling for it with his hands up. What a head #%&@ for Robbo. Hodge had no place calling for it. I'd much rather pop Hodge in coaches clothing & sit him next to Fagan while allowing Robbo to continue his improvement. After all he's had a delayed start to the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a stat for you-
Sam Walsh: 31 disposals, 14 contested. No Lions player had more than 12
Robinson: 16 disposals, 2 contested :poo:
Mathieson: 12 disposals, 4 contested
If at least one of them doesn't get a month in the twos for that effort we've got a problem.
Matho has improved overall but his average possessions has decreased each year from over 18 to 15.5 this year. His contested possessions average has also dropped from 10-7, his clearances from 3.6 to 2.4 and his tackles from 3.7 to 2.2.
I want to like him as a player, but I just don't see it. Doesn't do enough. He was good against the Eagles but hasn't offered much since. A rotational mid in an improving side shouldn't be getting 20+ touches once in 8 games. Corey Lyons couldn't do worse surely.
On a day when we got smashed in clearances Stef actually won the most clearances for us.
Probably another case of Stef being unfairly scapegoated by a few on here. Had our most contested possessions- in fact, he didn't have an uncontested possession.

The only thing more depressing about our out of form players are the ones that would supposedly replace them. All mediocre and not at an AFL level. Will take a bit more time to build some serious depth.

Win = great team, good depth
Loss = s**t players, no depth.

I think the truth is in the middle. We need more depth but our best 22 is quite strong. Come the Dees game we could have all of Oscar, Berry, Adams, Bailey and Starce in the team. We aren't far off most top 8 teams in terms of depth, but are probably missing a few key players to make us strong enough to really push for a good top 8 finish.

go with Martin and no second ruck. Bring back walker and he can pinch hit.
Archie goes back. feel sad for him I not thought he been firing in NEAFL I can see his potential although caught out badly.
I say it drop Rayner for a spell bring in Keays
Rest probably get a pass mark just.. Linc does a few things off the ball and cannot see anyone firing enough in the twos

Starc and T Berry be close I would think.
I have a real bad feeling against the saints. actually everytime we travel :)
honestly there are no easy games now..
Demons getting back players by the time we play them.
GWS who knows what team turns up
same with Port or Kangas.
So be 3-2 or 2-3 here.
Hawks not want to go 4 zip to us Clarko will be breathing fire.
Leaves us dogs, suns, cats and Tigers.. Last two we have to play our best as you expect the Tigers to have players back by then.
Dogs beat us often and Suns normally never easy for us.
Again be 2-2 or 1-3 in the last 4.

We win probably 50% end up being 12 games and maybe scrap into the eight.
Our best is great. Although after 4 wins teams worked us out more. we been 3-5 since then. We have no plan B once teams get going which is a worry.
We lucky with the Crows and Port.. And Kangas and Hawks could of gone each way.
I expected us to win 8-11 so could end up around the right number for where we are.
Lots of our young kids start dropping off near seasons end as well you would think.

Last edited:
First change which is non negotiable;

Out: Smith In: Omac

I said it the moment I saw the selection, it was absolutely baffling that Smith was selected over Omac. Absolutely no way to justify it at all. Omac would have been handy up forward yesterday.

Second change which need to happen

Out: Rayner In: Literally anyone else.

Rayner has needed a rest for weeks and it's finally gotten to the point where his clangers have come together at a rate that has costed us a game. Played 5 minutes of footy that completely changed the game. We can't keep backing him in and he needs to go into the twos to get the basics right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back