Analysis AFC SANFL 2019 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who’s been managed?
More so the management of previously "best 22" back into the senior side.

Reckon there was an element of management with Hugh tonight as well.

A lot of it will depend on him staying fit and where we are situated in the run up to the Finals late in the season, that's probably the situation with a lot of "young" guys.
Fair enough, but isn't he 24? I honestly would have thought he'd be playing this year. Especially given the hype.(this is were my cynicism comes in about his drafting)

Fair enough, but isn't he 24? I honestly would have thought he'd be playing this year. Especially given the hype.(this is were my cynicism comes in about his drafting)
The reason he's been held back is the same reason Tyson Stengle is.....fitness levels required to play AFL the Adelaide way.

Fogarty: Key bigs tend to take a while to come on. He’s blocked by Tex, and the delivery to him in the SANFL is generally crap. Down on confidence right now and prone to lashing out at opponents. Still hasn’t turned 20. I’m confident he’ll still have a nice future, but I don’t think he has superstar potential at all.

McPherson: I’m not really a fan. Vanilla vanilla vanilla with a body made of glass. Where’s the point of difference such as explosive speed or a penetrating kick? Doesn’t have one. Not sure how he’ll ever break into the AFL side.
Exactly. Very similar to Hawkins who took years to develop.

Fogarty: Key bigs tend to take a while to come on. He’s blocked by Tex, and the delivery to him in the SANFL is generally crap. Down on confidence right now and prone to lashing out at opponents. Still hasn’t turned 20. I’m confident he’ll still have a nice future, but I don’t think he has superstar potential at all.

McPherson: I’m not really a fan. Vanilla vanilla vanilla with a body made of glass. Where’s the point of difference such as explosive speed or a penetrating kick? Doesn’t have one. Not sure how he’ll ever break into the AFL side.
McPherson's kick are very flat and low.

SANFL thread brings out some nuffies as per usual.

Same people that wrote off previous draftees such as Doedee now writing off three quarters of the development squad.

Sit down and just wait until they've played 50 games of AFL level footy if you're going to be thatable impatient ffs.

Does anyone know what the official free kick count was? All I watched today were 3 cheating, biased POS pretending to be umpires. Some of the Free kicks WA got were astounding. We get penalised for anything they thought they could away with calling. I'm so sick of watching this week in and week out, except when the Crows play Port. That is umpired by the rules. Also those commentators Casey and Chinever need to be sacked, biased turd bags.:mad::thumbsdown::fire:

Does anyone know what the official free kick count was? All I watched today were 3 cheating, biased POS pretending to be umpires. Some of the Free kicks WA got were astounding. We get penalised for anything they thought they could away with calling. I'm so sick of watching this week in and week out, except when the Crows play Port. That is umpired by the rules. Also those commentators Casey and Chinever need to be sacked, biased turd bags.:mad::thumbsdown::fire:
It was 25-20 our way. Think we only got 1 in the last quarter though.

Jones and McHenry are never going to be superstars of the competition, they are never gonna be elite. Which is why we need to take pick 1 or 2 to the draft and get the very best midfielder.
Wow. That's early

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but you’re not looking for BOG 30 poss games every week. Wilson gets those numbers and won’t be an AFL player. Conversely Gallucci has never starred at SANFL level, but will be a very good AFL player.

Needs a bit closer assessment. Like you assess McHenry as “hot garbage” today, when clearly he had a different role than what he’s had so far.

If you can’t see AFL qualities in Davis then I don’t know what to tell you. Some of Jones’ clearances in the last show he’s got it. Sholl continues to have more time than mere state league mortals.

Butts will be a star. Bookmark that one.

There’s heaps to like for the future, they’re still developing.

In the short term ie next week, Gibbs was one in the frame and he played very well. Jacobs not so much but that’s really not important.

Reading some of the posts in here people expect every player to get 40 possessions and 5 goals every game and beat every team by 20 goals.

They’re on top of the ladder FFS, and who cares if they’re not, all that matters is they are gradually developing.
All true. But the comment about 'standout performances creating pressure above' still stands

Its ok if McHenry had a different role and Jones and Sholl looked good. Its performances like Jacobs and Douglas last week that make the media and the fans ask the questions.

Jacobs plays well last week , questions are asked of ROB and ROB delivers in spades. Thats the pressure performance that creates diamonds. The performances of Jones, Sholl, Butts and McHenry arent going to be concerning Dougy, Atkins or a few others.

Gibbs if anybody is the one that is putting pressure on and yet he seems to be a yo-yo

Same people that wrote off previous draftees such as Doedee now writing off three quarters of the development squad.

Sit down and just wait until they've played 50 games of AFL level footy if you're going to be thatable impatient ffs.
I apologize.

In game posting for SANFL team is just comical

The reason he's been held back is the same reason Tyson Stengle is.....fitness levels required to play AFL the Adelaide way.
I noticed that at the North game a week ago. He's a very good goal sneak but gives very little 2nd efforts. Once he improves that part of his game he may get a shot at afl.

You’d waiting a while if you’re waiting for them all to play 50 AFL games

What has happened to Knight?

Even at SANFL level he now fumbles it constantly, even under little pressure.

He needs a decent second half of the year, particularly being in a contract year.

My take on the Twos v Westies, fwiw.

I saw the first half live and then watched the full replay yesterday.
Firstly, our KIDS all seemed a bit flat. Chayce took a great mark early in the first quarter then kicked it straight to the opposition 40 metres from goal. A couple of minutes later he played on and was caught holding the ball. Ned couldn’t get into the game, McPherson dropped an uncontested mark etc, etc. Sadly it was Otten, Wright and Gibbs keeping us in the game. My ratings were as follows;
Otten - excellent game again, the slower grounds really suit him.
Butts - What a steal, good game awareness, good disposal, he just need some experience and a stronger body.
Sholl - Made a few errors but he is developing nicely.
Hamill - Great pace, nice skills, his left foot will make him particularly handy.
McPherson - Not his best game but he is on track for an early AFL appearance if he stays healthy.
McHenry - Looked a bit flat, couldn’t get into the game.
Wilson - Should win the Magarey Medal, lifted the team in the second half. Unlikely to play AFL again with the Crows.
Gibbs - Looked a level above SANFL, and so he should.
Poholke - Another good game by Dylan, he is ready for a spot in the midfield in the AFL but he is at the wrong club.
Jacobs - A level above SANFL where he can ruck and take marks without leaving the ground.
Jones - Started slowly but worked himself into the game. He is raw but has plenty of class.
Davis - Played a great game on the wing but Westies allowed him to run free.
Knight - Solid but made some poor mistakes. Not screaming pick me.
Fogarty - Played his role but we need him to start dominating.
McAdam - Fitness is an issue but he looks like he could make his mark in the AFL.
Stengle - Needs to do more but he knows how to get into dangerous spots and kick goals.
Himmelberg - Limited opportunities but played quite well. Once he starts to hold on to his marks he must play AFL.
Strachan - Big lad, shows some signs but a long way to go.
Hunter - Another solid game.

Was at the game on the weekend. The one player to really impress was McAdam. He just does the small side step and change of direction, the lovely one take, the spectacular mark, the x factor that our side needs a bit more of. Must get fitter though - if he was fit enough he would be in our best 22 now. He could easily take Dougies spot. He will play better in a better team and on a bigger stage.

I must say i also liked the look of Davis on the weekend. I wonder whether he has left his run too late but he is now playing a much more consistent brand of football and he is now not going MIA for long periods of the game. He seems to have improved his running ability and confidence. His wonderful mark in the last quarter was very special. He has good synergy with fellow indigenous player McAdam. He too has that little difference in his play. I gather he must be coming from a long way back because he rarely gets mentioned in dispatches.

Was at the game on the weekend. The one player to really impress was McAdam. He just does the small side step and change of direction, the lovely one take, the spectacular mark, the x factor that our side needs a bit more of. Must get fitter though - if he was fit enough he would be in our best 22 now. He could easily take Dougies spot. He will play better in a better team and on a bigger stage.

I only watched the first few minutes and saw McAdam absolutely torch a simple around the corner snap at goal; great to hear he was a lot better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back