Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

once again we have a thread bashing a recruit we get in
who the hell will want to come to us to play if we treat them like this

lynch is not quite right yet but is not as far away as people think, only bad kicking made his night a failure and he still is not confident attacking the ball yet (dropping a few marks) he will make a few in here look stupid before he is done
i doubt there is a power forward in the comp who could get on the end of some of the rubbish we have kicked at him

i would play ccj or chol along side lynch most weeks as 2nd tall forward and ruck relief with balta the floater

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters

lynch is not quite right yet but is not as far away as people think, only bad kicking made his night a failure and he still is not confident attacking the ball yet (dropping a few marks) he will make a few in here look stupid before he is done
i doubt there is a power forward in the comp who could get on the end of some of the rubbish we have kicked at him

i would play ccj or chol along side lynch most weeks as 2nd tall forward and ruck relief with balta the floater
Players would be pretty weak individuals if they came on footy sites and got deterred from wanting to go to a club bc fans are having a dig. The reality is I wouldn’t want these mentally soft types at the club. lol your first sentence was the dumbest thing I’ve read on here in months.

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
Thought he wasn’t bad, took a few marks inside 50 on Blicavs who is possibly AA full back right now. Clearly not 100% fit and your delivery inside 50 didn’t help. Think with a full preseason and Riewoldt alongside him he’ll be like a new player in 2020.
Exactly what I’ve been thinking, good to hear that from an opposition supporter.
Imo, there’s no chance big Tom would have played all games so far if Jack wasn’t injured. He’s clearly not right and still can only train once a week. Will be great once he gets back to full movement and fitness

If he'd kicked those goals would people be getting into him?

No he doesn't because it's his job to kick goals, his kicking last night was deplorable

Jack plays lynch doesnt get double teamed
Makes a big difference.

Jack won a coleman last year getting double teamed every game

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure blokes don't think about big footy when picking a team to play for

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
No he doesn't because it's his job to kick goals, his kicking last night was deplorable
I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure blokes don't think about big footy when picking a team to play for
Yeah in a damm good side...Cut Lunch is playing in a sheet side!

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

he is 4th in the coleman, hasnt been fit, in a team with a shyte midfield this season

jack is a legend and a veteran - lynch is only 25/26 and the ball hardly goes near him

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I find it hard to get to games live with commitments n such so was the first one I've been to for a while.
I was actually impressed with Lynch in the first half and couldn't believe what he had to content with. Geelong are a strong defensive unit with some good talls. Basically every time the ball went near him he had Taylor/Blicacs third man up in the contest with him also against his direct opponent. We move the ball far too slow at times. Instead of getting it long fast, we would piss around a bit and then make the same decision. All it did was was allow the Geelong players I mentioned to get into perfect position.

For mine I think too many have got caught up in Lynch being 199cm/99kg and thinking he'll just be able to crash packs and clunk marks. What has been overlooked in that is he had a serious PCL injury that actually required surgery, which would have meant a significant period where Lynch would have been unable to do much strength work on his legs. This meant that at the start of the season his ability to run and jump at the footy, as well as hold his position in contests wasn't as good as it could be. As the season has progressed he has started jumping at more contests and has also got better at holding his ground when in a 1-1 contest when he actually gets a genuine 1-1 contest.

The loss of Jack shouldn't be underestimated either. Jack plays and space opens up for Lynch to work in as well as opposition defenders aren't able to just sag off and sit in front of Lynch to clog up space, which is why a lot of the time our entries into F50 are high bombs on Lynchs head rather than out in front and letting him run onto the footy. When you're strength isn't being a pack crashing KPF being asked to play that role is not going to come naturally and Lynch has busted a gut week after week trying to play that role. Jack is a KPF who doesn't mind flying into a pack as he has a natural leap that allows him to jump on to packs rather than into packs.

I firmly believe that when Jack returns we'll see a much better return from Lynch as well as the oppositions spare defender won't be able to just sit in front of the one spot, they will actually have to make a decision on which forward to double team, meaning the other one gets the genuine 1-1 contest to work in.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Whatever it is we are overpaying
I've asked it many times before, who do you want playing FF?

There are absolutely parts of Lynch's game he can improve on. But there is not one player available right now that could be doing a better job than him. People pegging guys like Chol to come in and be the man are being ridiculous. Being a lone key forward is a very tough role to play, Jack Riewoldt is probably the only player in the league who can do it effectively.

Last night if he kicks straight he's walked away with a bag of 4 or 5. And before you say 'kicking straight is his job', Jack Riewoldt was lucky to kick 2.3 in the 17 GF, it honestly should've been 1.4. Was he worth what we were paying him that day? Of bloody course he was.

Except in the occasions where we hit opposition players lace out, Lynch provides a contest and most if not all forward 50 contests. And last night, playing against probably the best defensive unit in the league, he did well enough to get himself 6 shots on goal. He is doing a pretty good job.

Coxy_

Sexy Coxy
Aug 23, 2011
Williamstown
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coach
Right next one to go the man will get thread banned quicker than lynch dropping a chest mark

blokes not worth what we are paying him but that's no reason to attack each other

What's up with the threat of banning people? If posts are inappropriate, edit them or delete them if they're bad enough.

And what's up with talking about going the man then bagging the s**t out of Lynch?

Vote Coxer in as mod.

I've asked it many times before, who do you want playing FF?

There are absolutely parts of Lynch's game he can improve on. But there is not one player available right now that could be doing a better job than him. People pegging guys like Chol to come in and be the man are being ridiculous. Being a lone key forward is a very tough role to play, Jack Riewoldt is probably the only player in the league who can do it effectively.

Last night if he kicks straight he's walked away with a bag of 4 or 5. And before you say 'kicking straight is his job', Jack Riewoldt was lucky to kick 2.3 in the 17 GF, it honestly should've been 1.4. Was he worth what we were paying him that day? Of bloody course he was.

Except in the occasions where we hit opposition players lace out, Lynch provides a contest and most if not all forward 50 contests. And last night, playing against probably the best defensive unit in the league, he did well enough to get himself 6 shots on goal. He is doing a pretty good job.

He actually took 3 marks last night which is 2 more than the last few weeks so yes he is improving.

Was Jack lucky or does Jack make the goals happen, also Jack took a pay cut so people like Lynch could be overpaid. Our main problem is our small forwards are horrible out of form, Rioli has been shocking and George is a non entity at the moment and we are getting killed in the middle.

And literally anyone can of out there and run under the ball and drop chest marks, i'll do it for free and we can put the spare money in to better mids.

rubbish Lynch is an excellent partner and eventual replacement for jack

hes 4th in the coleman - blaming the full forward when the team loses by 10 goals seems an odd choice

4th in the coleman is flattering him to be honest, was very lucky to get a bunch of cheap goals in our victories.

Back