2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

No hurt factor and plays for a pretty ordinary team. Squad of 40 maybe.
LOL Gero this is a dreadful take. No hurt factor? He regularly finds players in better positions by hand while being swamped in tight, which absolutely hurts teams.

If the team was picked now, he just has to be in. For all the talk about Cripps, and rightfully so, Cunnignton is currently the best contested and clearance player in the AFL.

LOL Gero this is a dreadful take. No hurt factor? He regularly finds players in better positions by hand while being swamped in tight, which absolutely hurts teams.

If the team was picked now, he just has to be in. For all the talk about Cripps, and rightfully so, Cunnignton is currently the best contested and clearance player in the AFL.
It's true, I've never rated him that highly.
Just seems like a handball merchant to me. A good honest dependable midfielder.

but let's look at the last team put up in this thread;

B Stewart Blicavs Hurn
HB Sicily Andrews Grimes
C Henderson Cripps Hill
HF Walters Cameron Ablett
F Cameron Hawkins De Goey
Foll: Grundy Neale Fyfe
Int: Gawn, Pendelbury, Kelly, Treloar

Neale
Fyfe
Kelly
Treloar
Cripps

all locks.

Pendlebury is a decent shout but arguable over Whitfield. Then there's Boak and Zorko.
Wing positions should go to a winger.

B Stewart Blicavs Hurn
HB Sicily Andrews Grimes
C Henderson Cripps Hill

Neale
Fyfe
Kelly
Treloar
Cripps

all locks.

Pendlebury is a decent shout but arguable over Whitfield. Then there's Boak and Zorko.
Ben Cunnington
667a781d6e568d52459d5e5eee7160b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

B Stewart Blicavs Hurn
HB Sicily Andrews Grimes
C Henderson Cripps Hill

Neale
Fyfe
Kelly
Treloar
Cripps

all locks.

And what's exactly wrong with handballs? Used creatively, they're an extremely valuable tool in the arsenal of any league footballer, especially for a player like Cunnington who is a first touch from a ruck contest player and who almost always finds people in a better position from there by hand. As for your locks, he's arguably been better than Treloar who is a clanger merchant and as good as Neale. Cripps I won't argue, haven't seen enough of how Fyfe's travelling this year, and Kelly, yeah, has been great. Maybe people don't watch him enough because he plays for us, but he's genuinely elevated himself into the consistently elite status this season, instead of the inconsistently dominating player he kinds of was.

Whitfield has been playing everywhere so i'm no actually sure where the best place to put him is. He plays as a high half forward, a rebounding defender and some time on a wing. Dude is one of the most versatile stars in the game at the moment.

This. I think he’s there best player, his style of play in terms of breaking lines off half back and pushing forward kicking goals. His work-rate would surely be up there with the best.

Off the dome lad

B Stewart Blicavs Hurn
HB Sicily Andrews Grimes
C Henderson Cripps Hill

Most accurate I’ve seen tbh. Obviously if Whitfield didn’t get injured you would pick him over hill. I’d only have Boak in there and swap him with Cameron

And what's exactly wrong with handballs? Used creatively, they're an extremely valuable tool in the arsenal of any league footballer, especially for a player like Cunnington who is a first touch from a ruck contest player and who almost always finds people in a better position from there by hand. As for your locks, he's arguably been better than Treloar who is a clanger merchant and as good as Neale. Cripps I won't argue, haven't seen enough of how Fyfe's travelling this year, and Kelly, yeah, has been great. Maybe people don't watch him enough because he plays for us, but he's genuinely elevated himself into the consistently elite status this season, instead of the inconsistently dominating player he kinds of was.
You look at those players and when they’re on it wins games of football for the team. Cunnington May have that ability too but not as profound and thus they deserve it more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you like stats then you will love cunnington. Plodder

Impressive, it only took you 10 words to completely out yourself as having no knowledge of football.

Ben Cunnington
667a781d6e568d52459d5e5eee7160b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Have to laugh. When Cunnington was just "good", everyone said his stats weren't high enough to be considered elite. Now when they demonstratively are they try to ignore them.

Considering Ben Cunnington elite is a bit of litmus test these days, for whether you understand football, or if you simply just watch it.

Last edited:
Cunnington is a poor mans priddis. Witless be interesting to see what north fans were saying about priddis a few years ago

In 2019, Cunnington is averaging more contested possessions, clearances and disposals (with an extra 12% of disposal efficiency) than Priddis had in his Brownlow year. Tackles is the only area where Priddis has any significant advantage.

Priddis is a poor man's Cunnington.

those posts are so bad and surprising. cunnington is a player who is much more effective and damaging than the basic stats show, which is why there is such a huge gap between his afl fantasy scores and his champion data ranking scores compared to other players.

Have to laugh. When Cunnington was just "good", everyone said his stats weren't high enough to be considered elite. Now when they demonstratively are they try to ignore them.

exactly. couldnt believe what i was reading. the story always was that cunnington has a big influence on games and is a great player but never had the numbers of the best mids. now looks like the story has done a 180 lol.

Considering Ben Cunnington elite is a bit of litmus test these days, for whether you understand football, or if you simply just watch it.
Or in your case read the stats and not watch the game. Lacks impact and does no real damage.

Cunnington is a very very good player and for sure worthy of being in the discussion, but the midfield is so stacked with midfielders that can have an impact both inside and outside. Tips those guys over the edge for me but if he can maintain this level over the course of the season should be a lock for the squad at least.

Or in your case read the stats and not watch the game. Lacks impact and does no real damage.

You absolute clown haha. Trying to figure out what you're trying to gain by making a fool of yourself here.

North would be sitting dead last if he wasn't in the team. You don't watch North games, and it is painfully obvious.

If you want to delete your posts to save some face, I can delete my reply too so that there's no evidence. Just shoot me a PM if you want to organise something.

Funny, I have always had my own litmus test. If you think Selwood ducks you’re a clueless football follower.

Back on topic. He’s not in the team as it stands. Too many ahead

Funny, I have always had my own litmus test. If you think Selwood ducks you’re a clueless football follower.

The coaches rate him ahead of a lot of other "locks" in this thread (#5 in AFL), but what would they know, right? Their football knowledge pales in comparison to Dr "Joel Selwood doesn't duck" Gero.

Anyway, I'm off to get a coffee. Hooroo shagger, enjoy your Sunday :shoutyoldman:

Last edited:
Maybe try getting a basic understanding of the game before watching him next time. Getting first hands to the ball and then finding someone as the first receiver or a runner on the outside is one of the most damaging aspects of the modern congested game. In today's game, players like him are extremely valuable.

And honestly, do you really think he would be top five in the AFLCA Champion Player if he wasn't having a huge influence? Do you really think the coaches aren't knowledgable of the game? You've seriously had a nightmare on this topic.

And Doctor Gero, sure others get more of the ball on the outside, but what good is that in a player like Treloar when he turns it over with his dreadful skills and it's going back the other way? He's not even in the top 20 in the coaches votes. How is he a lock ahead of someone who is top 5 and could well go higher than that after his game this weekend? He should be as much of a lock as anyone for me at this point of the season as currently one of, if not the best pure inside mid in the AFL. (I mean, Cripps, I know, but Cunnington is his match in contested possessions and clearances.)

If we're not ranking by statistics or coaches votes, what is the criteria for ranking "too many" others head of him?

It is 100% media profile with Ben. He could be averaging 40 and he'd still only sneak onto the bench.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back