Review Good/Bad v GWS, Rd 12 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep... pyke should’ve gone up to dougy at the end of the game and said... “we’re gonna get the lads to chair you off... it’s all over bigfella”...

Douglas’s game tonight reminded me of Thomo’s game against Geelong in 2017..
He is still able to run though...he did fumble a lot.

What position did Douglas play?
Not terribly relevant, but if you want to go down that path then there is enough overlap between their forward and midfield games that Greenwood can force Douglas out after tonight’s effort.

They kept showing Talia vs Cameron comparison stats on the screen, but looked like Hartigan was on him most of the game.
Hartigan was on Cameron for most of the game.

When Himmelberg got hot, we switched Harrtigan to him, Keath to Cameron & "rested" Talia on Finlayson for a while... til we settled down, then they switched back. Good management.

Reckon the coaches have a pretty fair idea who the main contributors to the team , make of that what you will.
That's a lazy argument Bicks. If the coaches have him up there I would guess it is by default? His Brother has missed games and Sloane has been down a little. Greenwood has been disappointing and I think there is no argument our mids have been well beaten most games. His numbers have been up but hard to see where the coaches would think he has been as damaging as the opposition mids we have faced this year.

Not terribly relevant, but if you want to go down that path then there is enough overlap between their forward and midfield games that Greenwood can force Douglas out after tonight’s effort.

Of course it’s relevant. Hart said Greenwood was forced out because Matt came back and they had too many inside mids and Douglas was preferred up forward.

So if Greenwood was rested to come back in as a mid, there has to be a mid who was coming out.

Given Douglas played up forward he’s obviously not the inside mid coming out so Greenwood could return to the midfield.

Brouch our best! His disposal by foot has been ordinary and his decision making suspect. Often passes to team mates under pressure.
Yes he has racked up big numbers but too often his disposal is ineffective.
As I mentioned earlier his last qtr was very good as was last week but far from our best this year.
So why have most good judges said he was BOG...

That's a lazy argument Bicks. If the coaches have him up there I would guess it is by default? His Brother has missed games and Sloane has been down a little. Greenwood has been disappointing and I think there is no argument our mids have been well beaten most games. His numbers have been up but hard to see where the coaches would think he has been as damaging as the opposition mids we have faced this year.
Sorry mate I'm taking the AFL coaches assessments of his game inputs over almost anyone else.

ROB was fantastic, loved the 4th quarter, loved our defensive effort for pretty much the whole game. Had a plan, stuck to it and it worked.

Telling that the side was switched on, and Douglas was fumbly, slipping over and contesting poorly, he was by far worst on ground. Even Smith who was handballing to ankles was getting around at least, put in an amazing spoil.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many centre square bounces did he attend?

Quite clearly Douglas wasn’t the inside mid who Greenwood would be replacing.
He attended centre square bounces... so just admit you are wrong!

After Sloane was injured against Brisbane, Greenwood had a higher load... so no surprise we tried to rest him til Lynch was injured.

Watch Mackay come in as a fresh wingman, probably for the Seed this week.

It's smart player management for us to use our depth when we have 5 day breaks.

Some of those melting on selection night are clueless of player loads. ;)

Godden said we were intending to rest Greenwood so I trust him over Hart.

Most if not all the melts were about Douglas inclusion, any of the youngsters should have played this game - not Douglas.

The melts were justified as Dougie again showed he is past it.

Just one more game we haven't got into the next generation player.

Great game tonight. Hard fought win. Biggest take away is still the mid-fwd connection. Missed Lynch
tonight. Very important link for this. Still too many times our forwards are out of position and we end up kicking to Eddie or Murphy when they should be crumbing the packs not our key targets. Still alot of improvement imo. If we can get the mids and fwds working better, we can be a real threat.

Most if not all the melts were about Douglas inclusion, any of the youngsters should have played this game - not Douglas.

The melts were justified as Dougie again showed he is past it.

Just one more game we haven't got into the next generation player.
Yes, personally I would have played McHenry.

Hartigan’s tackle on Kelly when the game was still close was immense
Our tackling in general seemed a massive step up from last week. Lots of big tackles, lots of holding the balls.

Slowed their ball movement down quite often (only gave up 43 I50s) whereas last week it felt like Melbourne moved the ball with ease.

Our tackling in general seemed a massive step up from last week. Lots of big tackles, lots of holding the balls.

Slowed their ball movement down quite often (only gave up 43 I50s) whereas last week it felt like Melbourne moved the ball with ease.
Was important we played the game on our terms most of the night, which meant keeping possession.

Good: the game plan. I have over the last 6 weeks developed great faith in that game plan. We’re no longer flakey and prone to not turning up. It’s ugly, frustrating, slow and low scoring. It’s everything supporters hate.

But I’ll take a tough contested outfit over a flakey flashy side any day.

Lots of good players tonight all doing their bit.

My top 3
ROB
Hartigan
CEY

Bad

Little lapse in the third. But it’s hard to concentrate and bring that game plan for 120 mins

Ugly

Douglas - awful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back