Chris Scotts quarter time speech

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
In all fairness Richmond are severely undermanned and I think we’ve been rather fortunate in when we have had to play other sides.

In saying that I’m absolutely wrapped with our intent/desire this year. The big test is our traditional loss after the bye game.

Chris Scott is going brilliantly this year and always gets underrated in the public due to that ridiculous ‘easy premiership’ assumption.
His peers rate him which is important.
11-1 suggests more than just good fortune. There’s probably a bit there but you’re clearly the best team we’ve played this year. While we’ve been smacked a bit in our losses this year no one’s put us away like last night.

There’s this other Jack at Richmond, you might’ve heard of him. Won a few colemans.
Ah yeah Jack Reiwoldt would definitely make up the 12 goal difference lmao

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Looking forward to hearing what said after that 1st quarter to get his team up so much. Lowest score since 1957 to utter destruction

Is he currently the best coach in the league?
Is this the same coach who can't win a final? Clarkson is the best coach and it's not even close. Chris Scott benefits from a club who drafts arguably the best in the comp which gives him a great list to work with. I'd imagine Brad Scott would do just as good a job. Not saying he's doing a bad job, but premierships aren't handed out in June. Let's see how they go in September..

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Is this the same coach who can't win a final? Clarkson is the best coach and it's not even close. Chris Scott benefits from a club who drafts arguably the best in the comp which gives him a great list to work with. I'd imagine Brad Scott would do just as good a job. Not saying he's doing a bad job, but premierships aren't handed out in June. Let's see how they go in September..

You seem to have a low opinion of someone who has achieved more individually than your entire club has in 60 years

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Chris Scott benefits from a club who drafts arguably the best in the comp which gives him a great list to work with.

Unlike Goodwin who inherits a list of top 5 picks due to years of incompetence and sends the club backwards this year.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
You seem to have a low opinion of someone who has achieved more individually than your entire club has in 60 years
Paul Roos was our last coach who has won a premiership.

And this thread isn't about Melbourne, it's about Chris Scott. Last year i recall many Cats fans being happy with letting him go! Now he's the best coach in the AFL? Turn it up. Since Danger has come to Geelong he has totally under achieved. I think you've arguably got the best list, and that's more the reason why you're on top rather than your coach.

Jun 13, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
The same Clarkson who has coached Hawthorn to 2 straight sets exits in 3 years?

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Unlike Goodwin who inherits a list of top 5 picks due to years of incompetence and sends the club backwards this year.
Maybe you're mistaking Melbourne for Carlton? Or maybe you don't have a clue what you're talking about? I'm guessing the latter. We have 3 players currently on our list who went top 5 in the draft. That's possibly less than most clubs. And you talk about Goodwin inheriting a list, Chris Scott was handed a premiership in his first year and has done sweet FA since.

And I've been paying your club a compliment by saying how great you are at drafting. But instead of realising that, you resort to abusing my club which has nothing to do with this thread! I just don't think your coach is very good.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Maybe you're mistaking Melbourne for Carlton? Or maybe you don't have a clue what you're talking about? I'm guessing the latter. We have 3 players currently on our list who went top 5 in the draft. That's possibly less than most clubs. And you talk about Goodwin inheriting a list, Chris Scott was handed a premiership in his first year and has done sweet FA since.

And I've been paying your club a compliment by saying how great you are at drafting. But instead of realising that, you resort to abusing my club which has nothing to do with this thread! I just don't think your coach is very good.

By ‘sweet FA’ you mean making two prelims which, when you did it last year, was hailed by MFC as the highlight of your last decade.

Scott has a total of 4 2011 premiership players left on the list and has completely rebuild the side and the gameplan. He is quite clearly coach of the year to date given how we have exceeded external expectations so far.

Also, the ‘handed a premiership’ thing is lazy and inaccurate. 99% of neutrals thought we’d miss top 4 if not finals altogether after losing our coach and best player at the end of 2010. Our gameplan has been completely pulled apart by Collingwood. Scott introduced a new style based on holding possession, long kicking to get over the cluster and contested marking. It was good enough to beat the otherwise unbeatable Collingwood 3 of 3 times that year including GF day.

He reminded them that they are playing a VFL side due to 9 regular starters for Richmond injured.

And 5 of them are genuine guns.

#richmondhaveinjuries

Remember folks, Richmond supporters were adamant injuries are no excuse for a teams form.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Pies supporters are a bitter bunch, how many have thrown their 2 cents worth in about the injuries? Then one has the temerity to ask how did this thread become about Richmond injuries lmao

Pies supporters are a bitter bunch, how many have thrown their 2 cents worth in about the injuries? Then one has the temerity to ask how did this thread become about Richmond injuries lmao

You flogs went on about it all 2017 until we handed you your ass in the prelim. Reap what you sow.

Like I said, bitter :)

Not bitter, strong aversion to shameless hypocrites. Blame your brethren who were very insistent injuries are not an excuse

#richmondhaveinjuries

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Once he wins a premiership in a team he has built himself he will mark himself down as one of the better coaches in the league. At the moment he's on the Ross Lyon level where it's obvious he can coach and can do it bloody well. Though outside of an inherited premiership, hasn't really achieved a whole lot.

It looks like this year could very well be the year but there's always the worry about peaking early. FWIW if I had to pick a team to win the flag this year I'd be happy with it being the Cats. I would love to see Ablett, Dangerfield, Kelly and the other great players get the ultimate reward for their unbelievable couple of years.

Edit: and in some cases unbelievable many, many years*

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Not bitter, strong aversion to shameless hypocrites. Blame your brethren who were very insistent injuries are not an excuse

#richmondhaveinjuries

Yeh there were some dh’s who trolled, but in fairness it was also retaliatory bc the whole narrative was no credit to Richmond who fluked the the flag in 17 and were only winning games in 18 bc of an easy draw or bc our opponents weren’t at their best. It’s a vicious circle :)

Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought Chris Scott was a more or less a coach who benefitted from inheritance

However, he seems to be the coach in 2019 who has push forward the game tactically though. An efficiency-based game regularly conceding the inside 50 count but still smashing sides.

Contrast to Richmond's brand which is aerobically very demanding. Will be interested to see how sides counter the 2019 cats. Definitely COTY so far

Back