Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I watched the first half with interest & reckon he is slow. He got it a lot across half back & gave it back a bit. In fairness, seems to have got quite busy after that.

Still prefer Ellis-Yolman.

Can't say that I watched the game however could the mentioned turnovers be due to playing in an unfamiliar position?

Also to be fair it was his 14th game.

His desire and tackle numbers were insane and something we are lacking at the moment from several of our players.

Considering that both would be inexpensive acquisitions and also our current lack of depth couldn't we just get them both?

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why on earth are so many focusing on things Brown can't do?

He is a 60 goal a year forward that is ultra consistent. Christ how many of those are rolling around?

Gun.

So you're admitting that the concerns raised by posters are valid ones then?

Firstly there's more to being a forward in today's game than just kicking goals, secondly you're beefing up his goal kicking statistics by a fair margin as he's more like a 40-50 goal a year forward.

There's plenty more of those "rolling around" than those of the caliber you mentioned.

Overrated.

By the time he'd finished his run up to take the kick-outs, the opposition would have set up a full press. We'd never get it past the defensive 50!
Not an issue, I believe Clarko will play him in a back pocket

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So you're admitting that the concerns raised by posters are valid ones then?

Firstly there's more to being a forward in today's game than just kicking goals, secondly you're beefing up his goal kicking statistics by a fair margin as he's more like a 40-50 goal a year forward.

There's plenty more of those "rolling around" than those of the caliber you mentioned.

Overrated.

So the past two seasons he has kicked 60, and this year he is well on track to do the same.

You, and others, are over complicating things if you think a 60 goal a year forward isn't dramatically improving our side.

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So the past two seasons he has kicked 60, and this year he is well on track to do the same.

You, and others, are over complicating things if you think a 60 goal a year forward isn't dramatically improving our side.

You're correct about his goals scored in the last couple seasons.

However you're only selecting a brief snapshot of his previous history to suit your opinion which does indeed mean you're beefing those statistics up.

He averages 2.2 goals across his career though which is still serviceable but not in the elite bracket that you're making it out to be.

GOALS PER SEASON

2014 - 18
2015 - 32
2016 - 41
2017 - 63
2018 - 61
2019 - 30

I've never questioned his ability to kick goals, if anything I've applauded it.

It's all of his other deficiencies that are in question and you, and others are not thinking logically if you think all that matters is his ability to kick goals.

His defensive work is literally non-existent and he also goes missing quite frequently and seems to lack the will and desire to turn a quiet start around and work his way into a game.

Like I've said it's not the possibility of his acquisition that is the issue, but the fact that posters such as yourself are overhyping and overvaluing him and thinking that he's the solution to our forward line woes.

Then there's also his annoying hair and run up to take into account as well.

He's not worth the first that's being mentioned by posters (but would seriously consider for a second) and anyone that thinks otherwise is bloody bananas.

sideshow-bob-gif-9.gif

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You're correct about his goals scored in the last couple seasons.

However you're only selecting a brief snapshot of his previous history to suit your opinion which does indeed mean you're beefing those statistics up.

He averages 2.2 goals across his career though which is still serviceable but not in the elite bracket that you're making it out to be.

GOALS PER SEASON

2014 - 18
2015 - 32
2016 - 41
2017 - 63
2018 - 61
2019 - 30

I've never questioned his ability to kick goals, if anything I've applauded it.

It's all of his other deficiencies that are in question and you, and others are not thinking logically if you think all that matters is his ability to kick goals.

His defensive work is literally non-existent and he also goes missing quite frequently and seems to lack the will and desire to turn a quiet start around and work his way into a game.

Like I've said it's not the possibility of his acquisition that is the issue, but the fact that posters such as yourself are overhyping and overvaluing him and thinking that he's the solution to our forward line woes.

Then there's also his annoying hair and run up to take into account as well.

He's not worth the first that's being mentioned by posters (but would seriously consider for a second) and anyone that thinks otherwise is bloody bananas.

View attachment 689097

Not going to lie dude. I didn't even bother reading this.

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I can't believe how many here are advocating chasing Ben Brown. He's a leading forward who is limited below his knees. Just doesn't fit with our game plan.

Bloody oath mate and acquiring him would be like acquiring Ty Vickery Mk2 which could prove to be a massive slap in the face.

CheapHastyAmericanrobin-small.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can
I can't believe how many here are advocating chasing Ben Brown. He's a leading forward who is limited below his knees. Just doesn't fit with our game plan.
Can he play the David hale role? A more dangerous forward, but inferior as a second ruck and in the defensive Side of his game. Remember the key Hale play in 2013 vs Geelong prelim - you won’t see that from brown. At $700k plus trade costs does not seem like value. would need a haircut.

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
Wasn't a role comparison. The poster created a retrospective 2017 draft top 10 and had Worpel at #2.
Yep got that and then they went on a willy sizing contest about who was better and therefore why I posted.

Kenyan

All Australian
Jul 5, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A bit of polish would take him from good/very-good to superstar IMO.

I know he doesn’t always have a lot of time & we don’t always give him a lot of options, but I’d love to see him hit up a 20m-30m pass & retain possession sometimes, instead of always going long (40m+) & losing possession.

Again, we could do a lot more to help him out in this regard, but I see this as the next evolution in his game.
Absolutely agree. just needs to work on his disposal on both sides of his body - we must not forget that he has the best mentor in this regard, Sam Mitchell.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Weve seen 'swingman' Gunston play all over the ground, but rarely seen 'swingman' Sicily go forward. I really wonder why. We see o'brien moved forward, with little effect.
Surely Sicily is a really good forward? are we waiting for CJ to hold down sicily's backline duties? Could we target someone else?

Kenyan

All Australian
Jul 5, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Weve seen 'swingman' Gunston play all over the ground, but rarely seen 'swingman' Sicily go forward. I really wonder why. We see o'brien moved forward, with little effect.
Surely Sicily is a really good forward? are we waiting for CJ to hold down sicily's backline duties? Could we target someone else?
I seem to remember Clarko commenting on this and he said that Sic is such a great intercept player/reader of the play that he he is hesitant to push him forward.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apologies...

“I’ve made it clear that I want to say in Adelaide and my intentions are to stay in Adelaide, but at this stage there hasn’t been any sit downs since January so it’s a bit of a different circumstance and hopefully things work themselves out.
“When we sat down in January everything was quite positive, they made it clear I was wanted and their intention was for me to stick around, spending a few weeks in the SANFL I don’t know if that had a huge impact or not, but I’m back in the team and I feel that when I’m playing my best footy I’m in the best 22.
“I’m not trying to make it a circus or anything, obviously when you spend time in the SANFL the first few weeks things float around and it’s a bit ‘what’s your plan?’, but we have made it clear we want to stay in Adelaide.
“But at the same time it’s getting to a stage where I’m 27, 28, so I’ve got to think about signing something long term and look at my career post-footy.
“Adelaide is a place we are happy, we love the footy club and ideally we finish here.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back