Analysis Beveridge - where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Buck

All Australian
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Josh Schahce is not going to be the forward he was supposed to be why not do a reverse Naughton and chuck him down back and see how he plays there, his a big body

Yes, why not? The club didn't see the potential to play Liam Jones at full back but Carlton did.

Why not try Schache out in the back line for Footscray and see how it goes. It may relieve him of the burden of expectations on him to be a gun forward.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
lol Schache in back line with the intensity off a grape and contested marking ability of Jarryd Grant

Yeah that will work well but why not will be good for sh!ts and giggles

lol Schache in back line with the intensity off a grape and contested marking ability of Jarryd Grant

It might not work. Or it might. Can't hurt to try if - eventually - they don't think he'll make it as a forward. Right now they haven't given up on him in that role.

Incidentally nobody gave Liam Jones any chance of success when he used to run around like a headless chook as a forward.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!

Its the VFL, and is very much the place to make speculative moves. You'd rather we never try anything and assume a player can only work one way? You'd be a real s**t coach. I'm sure you'd have assumed Liam Jones would have been a rubbish defender.

Ultimately, such a move may allow him to develop more attributes (including an increase in intensity).

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Its the VFL, and is very much the place to make speculative moves. You'd rather we never try anything and assume a player can only work one way? You'd be a real **** coach. I'm sure you'd have assumed Liam Jones would have been a rubbish defender.

Ultimately, such a move may allow him to develop more attributes (including an increase in intensity).

Liam Jones never pulled out of contests or refused to have some body contact. Ok I will say it wasn’t scared. Oh and I was one of Liam’s Biggest defenders so WRONG

You can try things of blokes have a want to achieve but Josh has the intensity of a jelly bean and that will get shown up worse in the backline than it will forward.

BUT keep your coaches hat on moving blokes around that will most likely hurt their confidence more than help me develop. Hey how bout we play Roberts as ruck rover while we are at it? Or West into the ruck seeing we are happy to try things :)

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It might not work. Or it might. Can't hurt to try if - eventually - they don't think he'll make it as a forward. Right now they haven't given up on him in that role.

Incidentally nobody gave Liam Jones any chance of success when he used to run around like a headless chook as a forward.

Sorry but I always backed Liam Jones and said Macca cost him a career at the dogs.

Josh has the tools to be a footy player but no heart and imo lack of ticker will get exposed much more down back than it will forward. Add to that his contested marking weakness and please tell me what makes you think this will work?

He is a far better option playing on a wing on the VFL so he can get out on space and use his endurance

Last edited:

The Buck

All Australian
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Perhaps your point might be taken more seriously if you left out the sneering sarcasm.

We're only talking about giving the kid a run in the back line of Footscray and see how it goes.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Josh Schaches weaknesses are

Contested marking
Intensity at contest
Chasing and pressure
Mental strength
Doesn’t like body contact

Now please explain how a move into the backline, that will further highlight these weaknesses can help the kid? Yes it’s great to try and try things but somethings will never work(see Easton Wood forward).

I’ve said this several times before I don’t think Josh will ever make it due to the issues every coach he has had since 15 has said are his weaknesses.

The kid has talent but an absolute lack of want and desire and you can move him all over the place but that isn’t going to change

Last edited:

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Josh Schaches weaknesses are

Contested marking
Intensity at contest
Chasing and pressure
Mental strength
Doesn’t like body contact

Now please explain how a move into the backline, that will further highlight these weaknesses can help the kid? Yes it’s great to try and try things but somethings will never work(see Easton Wood forward).

I’ve said this several times. Or but I don’t think Josh will ever make it due to the issues every coach he has had since 15 has said are his problems. The kid has talent but an absolute lack of want and desire and you can move him all over the place and that isn’t going to change

Just touch a body and stick a fist up. What ya reckon MD?

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
We are still playing a quick play on game and the teams at the top of the ladder play slower and also retain the ball better, as turnovers are the main mechanism for generating scores.

Johnno isn't needlessly potting the club, he's absolutely a bulldog fan too but unfortunately he's 100% right.
what did jonho actually say?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnny_Dogg4

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/06...made-if-bulldogs-inconsistent-form-continues/

Sheahan: "Big decisions" will be made if Bulldogs' inconsistent form continues

Veteran journalist Mike Sheahan believes that more pressure should be placed on the Western Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs sit 14th on the ladder with four wins and seven losses and haven’t made the finals since their drought-breaking premiership in 2016.

Sheahan believes the Bulldogs should be placed under the microscope.

“They’ve escaped scrutiny because we’ve always been targeting other clubs,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“I don’t know whether it’s lack of public interest or not, but they certainly deserve the microscope.

I think if they continue this year the way they have gone for the first half of the year, there will be some big decisions made at the end of the year.”

Sheahan believes that a lot of credits come with being a premiership coach but they have an “expiry date”.

The veteran journalist says Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge is running out of time to bring his side back to the finals.

“I would say it’s three years, and this is Bevo’s third year since the flag,” he said.

“If I were Peter Gordon (Western Bulldogs president), I would be going to people and saying 'what’s happening here?'”

The Western Bulldogs have a bye this week before facing Carlton on Saturday June 15 at Marvel Stadium.

Oldpuppy

Draftee
May 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/06...made-if-bulldogs-inconsistent-form-continues/

Veteran journalist Mike Sheahan believes that more pressure should be placed on the Western Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs sit 14th on the ladder with four wins and seven losses and haven’t made the finals since their drought-breaking premiership in 2016.

“They’ve escaped scrutiny because we’ve always been targeting other clubs,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“I don’t know whether it’s lack of public interest or not, but they certainly deserve the microscope.

I think if they continue this year the way they have gone for the first half of the year, there will be some big decisions made at the end of the year.”

Sheahan believes that a lot of credits come with being a premiership coach but they have an “expiry date”.

The veteran journalist says Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge is running out of time to bring his side back to the finals.

“I would say it’s three years, and this is Bevo’s third year since the flag,” he said.

“If I were Peter Gordon (Western Bulldogs president), I would be going to people and saying 'what’s happening here?'”

The Western Bulldogs have a bye this week before facing Carlton on Saturday June 15 at Marvel Stadium.
Well Helloooo, hard to question Sheehan here, been talking about this for months - coaching panel and leadership group.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

We escape scrutiny every single year. About time someone shines a torch on us!

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Amazing how Sheahan says basically the same as another journey did, just on more PC snowflake happy words and fans accept it.

Blowtorch needs to be firmly held on the footy department as a whole and the first move is Grant out and him spending 3 years working on taking over from Gordon.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Frankly I think our biggest issue is the age of our side and until it matures a bit it’ll be badly up and down.

If we could execute what Bevo wanted us to, which we often do for a stretch but not long enough, we’d probably be fine. That’s probably why he’s so stubborn.

That said, the coaching lineup probably is a little stale and could do with rejuvenation. We don’t get the benefit of a fresh perspective.

I don’t mind Johnson’s comments at all but you can’t accurately comment on what’s going on without acknowledging the forced retirements and rapid, unavoidable changes to the list. To the extent that’s a list management issue, McCartney and Dal are gone.

Sheahan is just whipping up drama because the media got its girst few targets early.

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thought a couple of weeks ago bringing in
Dale ,Lipinsk ,Willliams would take the side
forward.With Schache if their is no improvement it's because of that. Relying on recruiting rehashed players to the detrement of development is a huge mistake.
Mcartney as bad as he was promoted development.
Which Bev benefited from in 2015..
Bev is a great coach in my books
But l repeat leave recruitment to the experts.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thought a couple of weeks ago bringing in
Dale ,Lipinsk ,Willliams would take the side
forward.With Schache if their is no improvement it's because of that. Relying on recruiting rehashed players to the detrement of development is a huge mistake.
Mcartney as bad as he was promoted development.
Which Bev benefited from in 2015..
Bev is a great coach in my books
But l repeat leave recruitment to the experts.

One thing we need to remember is that there wouldn’t be a coach in the comp that isn’t involved in recruitment to some degree. With some being involved more than others ie Clarko.
I just find it a little ridiculous that we’d think Bev is pretty much in charge of ours and doesn’t let the recruiters do their job.

Your comment in regards to this, Ringa, is it on the back of what posters have said in here or do you know for a fact that Bev has control over recruiting ?

Blues90

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd you guys lose to carlton next week does he come under pressure? 66% of their wins would have come from you if that happens

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
One thing we need to remember is that there wouldn’t be a coach in the comp that isn’t involved in recruitment to some degree. With some being involved more than others ie Clarko.
I just find it a little ridiculous that we’d think Bev is pretty much in charge of ours and doesn’t let the recruiters do their job.

Your comment in regards to this, Ringa, is it on the back of what posters have said in here or do you know for a fact that Bev has control over recruiting ?
Ex Hawthorn players
And yes maybe l read too much big footy
But Daymple is at the Swans now and shouldn't be.
He recruited us a premiership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back