Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

What's up with the threat of banning people? If posts are inappropriate, edit them or delete them if they're bad enough.

And what's up with talking about going the man then bagging the **** out of Lynch?

Vote Coxer in as mod.

I did delete the posts, it's called giving people a warning to lift their game before being heavy handed and thread banning folk.

Whats with the passive aggressiveness lately?

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
4th in the coleman is flattering him to be honest, was very lucky to get a bunch of cheap goals in our victories.

lol - thats not how it works

remember when jack kicked ten

He actually took 3 marks last night which is 2 more than the last few weeks so yes he is improving.

Was Jack lucky or does Jack make the goals happen, also Jack took a pay cut so people like Lynch could be overpaid. Our main problem is our small forwards are horrible out of form, Rioli has been shocking and George is a non entity at the moment and we are getting killed in the middle.

He isnt overpaid. iirc Lynch is on 750 for the first three season - Lynch literally won games for the club when Martin decided to be totally s**t and Cotchin, Jack, Rance went down. The season is essentially somewhat alive largely to due the big feller.

Everyone is annoyed by focusing on Lynch is a bit misguided imo

contested possession: Geelong 157, Richmond 124
uncontested possession: Geelong 244, Richmond 186
effective disposals: Geelong 289, Richmond 205

overall the team is waay smaller, lighters, younger, less games ... and you want to highlight the guy with two defenders on him

Last edited:
lol

thats not how it works

remember when jack kicked ten

which time :p

and it's exactly how it works take out the cheapies where we were miles in front and looking to get him into the game or the soft double goals from getting pushed over and he is right back with luminaries such as McDonald-Tipungwuti.

The 26 goals is the very definition of wallpapering over the cracks.

Nothing to see here Tom is great he's kicked 26 goals move along folks

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
which time :p

and it's exactly how it works take out the cheapies where we were miles in front and looking to get him into the game or the soft double goals from getting pushed over and he is right back with luminaries such as McDonald-Tipungwuti.

The 26 goals is the very definition of wallpapering over the cracks.

Nothing to see here Tom is great he's kicked 26 goals move along folks

You sound like the people saying Riewoldt didn't deserve his Coleman medal because he only kicked 60 odd goals

The Tigers kicked two goals in the first half, five in total and have the worst percentage by miles of the top clubs (well under 100). if you take out Lynch 26 goals i dunno how you plan on replacing them

Coxy_

Sexy Coxy
Aug 23, 2011
Williamstown
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coach
I did delete the posts, it's called giving people a warning to lift their game before being heavy handed and thread banning folk.

Whats with the passive aggressiveness lately?

Fair enough on the first point.

I don't think I've been all that passive-aggressive. Think I've been straight to the point with not really liking the threat of banning people from threads for 'playing the man' when you're also playing the man, albeit Lynch not an actual poster.

Fair enough on the first point.

I don't think I've been all that passive-aggressive. Think I've been straight to the point with not really liking the threat of banning people from threads for 'playing the man' when you're also playing the man, albeit Lynch not an actual poster.

Lynch is the topic of the thread, short of banning negative opinions how do you have a thread about a person without discussing that person?

Coxy_

Sexy Coxy
Aug 23, 2011
Williamstown
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coach
Lynch is the topic of the thread, short of banning negative opinions how do you have a thread about a person without discussing that person?

We can discuss him. I'm not even against people being abusive towards him. I don't like or agree with their comments but it is their right.

My point was more about the 'playing the man' comment. You can criticise Lynch without ripping the absolute s**t out of him I would have thought.

mad_tiggy911

🏆 🏆 🏆
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Tries to take too many chest marks and goes to ground far too easily.

Playing like a Vickery clone at the moment.

Don't understand why so many people are sticking up for him. It's perfectly fine to admit he's spudding it up at the moment which he is.

Hopefully we see an improvement in his game but I'm worried he may not become the player we thought we were recruiting.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters

Don't understand why so many people are sticking up for him. It's perfectly fine to admit he's spudding it up at the moment which he is.

Hopefully we see an improvement in his game but I'm worried he may not become the player we thought we were recruiting.
That’s a good post as it’s discussing his current form and people can only critique on what they’ve seen to date. Moore got vilified for doing more and was dropped last season.
When Lynch meets the standard of an A grader ( which is the wages he’s on) then I will happily applaud him.
It got to 460 odd pages in the Yarran thread before people realised that the vocal minority were right , but we all took our thread bans and moved onto Mav Weller. 😉
Let’s all hope Lynch moves out of his current dinosauresque form and steps it up.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
If he'd kicked those goals would people be getting into him?
But he didn't. He is a great kick so his 1 goal haul is disappointing. Our season is unraveling. In the latter 1/2 of the season, we need everything going our way. Lynch is not the messiah. I don't blame Lynch at all. If the gameplan just wants a tall player to stand under the ball as we bomb it in. Why pay top dollars for someone to do that. Get Soldo to do that. Save the coin to fix our real problem. Midfield.

Last edited:
It’s a bit of a mixed bag for me.
Yep he’s been pretty average, not taking his grabs and his kicking is woeful.
But the two things I have in my own mind is for one he’d be the easiest forward to nullify in the comp the way we have set up. Without Jack or any other key forward there is no rocket science in figuring out where the ball is going on our forward entries and he ain’t Jack. He plays very much like an old time FF but the leading lanes are all closed these days because it’s not 1985, and that makes us very, very predictable.
Secondly my overall expectation of Lynch was nowhere near as high as most people, I envisaged this exact thing happening but expected he’d develop his versatility further up the ground with Jack in the team so I’ve parked too much criticism for now because without Jack or another Key Forward he’s pretty limited to what he can do.
Secondly my immediate expectation wasn’t very high due to his s**t knee which is absolutely stuffing his kicking so my main focus was pretty much from 2020 onwards.
But I tell you what if he has a full pre season and Jack with him and doesn’t improve sharply I’ll be first in line to say he’s not much chop.

muzhogg

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

I suspect I'm in the "people sticking up for Lynch" camp, so I'll just say that I acknowledge that he's spudding it up.

All my comments on Lynch have been "I expected and hope for better, but here's the reasons I think he's not doing the job expected/hoped for..."

By definition, if you're giving reasons why a person's performance is sub-par then you're actually acknowledging that person's performance is sub-par.

Anyway, that's just to clarify that not all those who might be thought of as Lynch fanbois are blind to what's happening.

Like you I'm hoping for a (big) improvement, and worry that we might not see it.

I do strongly feel that there's no cause for panic given some of the considerations raised by myself and others in this thread.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
But the two things I have in my own mind is for one he’d be the easiest forward to nullify in the comp the way we have set up. Without Jack or any other key forward there is no rocket science in figuring out where the ball is going on our forward entries and he ain’t Jack. He plays very much like an old time FF but the leading lanes are all closed these days because it’s not 1985, and that makes us very, very predictable.
Secondly my overall expectation of Lynch was nowhere near as high as most people, I envisaged this exact thing happening but expected he’d develop his versatility further up the ground with Jack in the team so I’ve parked too much criticism for now because without Jack or another Key Forward he’s pretty limited to what he can do.
Secondly my immediate expectation wasn’t very high due to his **** knee which is absolutely stuffing his kicking so my main focus was pretty much from 2020 onwards.
But I tell you what if he has a full pre season and Jack with him and doesn’t improve sharply I’ll be first in line to say he’s not much chop.
Yup...very easy target at the moment with our injuries and the way we are travelling...everyone's under the pump for not putting in!
But our last Q against geelol was good to see...we could have just so easily folded completely and not bothered to return...

I actually wish there was a way to bloody see into the future and have the rest of our games put on a disc, binge watch them all today and then * footy off for the rest of the year and wait for 2020!

Drofder

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2014
37.8265° S, 145.0069° E
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Niners
I knew we were over paying for Lynch but I didn’t really care. Before his PCL at GC he looked slow, poor at ground level etc. But we needed support for Riewoldt so I thought “whatevs.”

Lynch will undoubtedly get better but for me, the biggest thing we could do right now to improve his impact on a game is to take a less is more approach.

Right now, we are kicking it to Lynch 30% of the time going forward. That’s just absurd. Waaaaay too predictable. By comparison Geelong go to Hawkins 18% of the time. Mix it up ffs !!! Spreading it around will mean that opposition defences won’t be able to double and triple team him like they are at the moment and spoil just about everything that’s coming his way. Just so bloody predictable right now.

Caracella and McQualter have a lot to answer for imo. Take the **** pressure off him and create more options and get him one out more by doing so. Who knows we might get a more effective Lynch AND a more effective forward line overall.

Tiges1229

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 26, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I actually wish there was a way to bloody see into the future and have the rest of our games put on a disc, binge watch them all today and then **** footy off for the rest of the year and wait for 2020!

Go to hypnotherapist and have Richmond and footy wiped from your memory until 2020 :)

Tiges1229

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 26, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I knew we were over paying for Lynch but I didn’t really care. Before his PCL at GC he looked slow, poor at ground level etc. But we needed support for Riewoldt so I thought “whatevs.”

Lynch will undoubtedly get better but for me, the biggest thing we could do right now to improve his impact on a game is to take a less is more approach.

Right now, we are kicking it to Lynch 30% of the time going forward. That’s just absurd. Waaaaay too predictable. By comparison Geelong go to Hawkins 18% of the time. Mix it up ffs !!! Spreading it around will mean that opposition defences won’t be able to double and triple team him like they are at the moment and spoil just about everything that’s coming his way. Just so bloody predictable right now.

Caracella and McQualter have a lot to answer for imo. Take the **** pressure off him and create more options and get him one out more by doing so. Who knows we might get a more effective Lynch AND a more effective forward line overall.

Agree it also looks like all our forwards also lead into the same spot all at the same time .
Our forward line looks a bit like a pedestrian crossing in Japan . Lol

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Time to bring in another tall...Moore oh wait! CCJ ahhh to slow! Chol?!? maybe it's time!
Very good idea. Chol was close to coming in for Soldo. He has been good up fwd & pinch hitting in ruck in the VFL. Towner was disappointing. But I'm glad we tried him. The smalls are applying enough defensive pressure anyhow. Leave Balta in the middle. Be interesting.

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
this one?
cross-1.jpg

Secondly my immediate expectation wasn’t very high due to his **** knee which is absolutely stuffing his kicking so my main focus was pretty much from 2020 onwards.
Doesn't matter how many times and how many ways this gets explained it seems people just continue to overlook/ignore that Lynch is playing as a sole key forward with up to 4 sub 6 foot small forwards and resting mids like Martin or Caddy as support.

As I just said above right now our forward line is Lynch, 3-4 sub 6 foot small forwards and a resting mid or 2. Of course Lynch is going to be targeted way more than Hawkins who has Esava as a second tall option as support. That also means that the Cats F50 is full of space as the opposition can't just sit back in front of Hawkins.

People need to remember that Lynch was brought in as support to Jack to make us less predictable going forward. Unfortunately Jack has been missing for all but 3 games this year so our best laid plans have gone out the window and we've had to revert to the plan of getting it in long to Lynch and hoping that he can mark it when contesting with 2-3 opponents flying with him or that our crumbers can some how manage to weave through a dozen bodies and snag a miracle goal.

Back